Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

An effort for a CMX installer

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

An effort for a CMX installer

Post by HansR »

Not sure this is the right place so if you want to put it somewhere else, no problem.

Recently there was a discussion where a CMX installer came up and that was not the first time. So I gave it a go and some 8 hours later here is the first attempt ( I gave it version no: 0.1.0). Anybody interested can give it a try (don't use it on your operational CMX installation while the version is below 1.0.0). It runs both on Windows and on Linux.

Current release is version 0.5.0

If there is enough support and enthusiasm I might really develop this further but I am not sure about that yet.

How to run:
  1. Copy the InstallCMX.exe to any directory you want
  2. Copy the CumulusMX distribution zip(s) to that same directory. You may have more than one distribution in the same directory. You can give the buildnumber to install as commandline argument.
  3. Run InstallCMX and confirm / fill in on the console where you wish to install (or update) CMX.

NOTE: On Windows you run it as any other executable, on Linux you run it as "mono ./InstallCMX.exe". You need to specify mono because CumulusMX won't be running while installing (I assume) and therefore mono won't be activated.

NOTE: You specify the installation directory without the CumulusMX (that dir is created during the installation) so just specify e.g. "c:\" and NOT "c:\CumulusMX".

NOTE: Make sure your personal modified files are in a safe place. If they have the same name as files in the distribution they will be overwritten.
  4. After the installation, there is a log file. Check the logfile to see everything has gone well.
  5. There is an ini file where you can control:
    • NormalMessageToConsole=true or false
    • TraceInfoLevel=Warning (out of "Error", "Warning", "Info", "Verbose"). Note that Info & Verbose are currently not being used
Possible future developments:
  1. Commandline parameter for version to install (currently it installs the first zip it finds)
  2. If no zip is present try to download. Also combined with a version to actually install a specific version
  3. Detect an existing installation of CMX (anywhere on the machine)
  4. Create the Start/Stop procedures for CMX on that machine with that specific path
  5. Support Multiple installations on one machine.
Comments are welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by HansR on Wed 20 Jan 2021 2:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Re: An effort for a CMX installer

Post by PaulMy »

Hi Hans,
I gave it a run on Windows10... all seems ok.
Initially tried it with CumulusMXDist3099.zip and that worked fine to install v3.9.5-b3099. It was very fast - just a few seconds.
Then left Dist3099.zip in the folder and added the latest Dist3100.zip in the folder and then run InstallCMX which seemed OK but CumulusMX.exe was still v3.9.4
Then removed the Dist3099.zip and left only Dist3100.zip in the folder and run InstallCMX and then CumulusMX.exe is v3.9.5 so all good.
CumulusMX seems to run fine and nothing out of the ordinary in MXdiags.
The InstallCMX.log file is empty.

I guess I still have to learn the purpose and benefits compared to my current way of installing updates but you are in the early stages...

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

HansR

Post by HansR »

Hi Paul,

Thanks for trying and commenting!
PaulMy wrote: Sun 17 Jan 2021 12:10 am Then removed the Dist3099.zip and left only Dist3100.zip in the folder and run InstallCMX and then CumulusMX.exe is v3.9.5 so all good.
That is correct. It is the current status of things where the installer - current status is really more a demo - takes only one zip from the current directory and if that is a CumulusMX distribution it installs it. In your case you added a second distribution and the installation procedure did only see the first one. Of course if I continue with this, that will be much more refined (see readme).
PaulMy wrote: Sun 17 Jan 2021 12:10 am I guess I still have to learn the purpose and benefits compared to my current way of installing updates but you are in the early stages...
Well, you are of course one of the most experienced CMX installer here in the community but in general I am pretty annoyed with all the energy which gets lost in responding to the repetitive errors made in the installation. I also see people trying to solve those issues by trying to find the differences between the new distribution and the previous one. I don't think that is where the solution lies.

Recently Mark removed the list of Updated Files from the Updates.txt which is a sign of how he looks at it. The focus of the users should be functional and on possible anomalies in the functioning of the program (aka bugs) and not on the installation.

Repetitive actions / events are typically things which are solved by automation. And not only that but also incremental knowledge is fixed in program. If knowledge is not fixated somewhere it will get lost sooner or later. And as things get more complex as times go by installation procedures have been invented.
Where would we be on Linux without the apt application?
Where would we be without Windows installation/upgrade etc...

One of the other recurring issues is the overwriting of user modified files. I would also like to emphasise that an automated install will force people NOT to modify distribution files, but copy them and modify those, have really their own mods vault. If the distribution is modified that will be mentioned in the release notes and users can decide what to do with that. It has been repetitively mentioned that the standard website was created and intended as an example. So users should use it as that: copy it and from that copy modify and apply adjustments. User mods should not interfere with the distribution but that is a users responsibility.

So given the lost energy on installation errors (which also loses users because it rapidly becomes too technical for some meteo enthusiasts), the repetitive call for dealing with an installation improvement and the removal of the Updated Files list from the distribution - and all in line with good practice in automation industry - I picked this up and started the creation of this installation procedure, non-modifiable by the user.

Hope this clarifies.
Hans

HansR

Post by HansR »

Oh, and Paul, btw: an empty logfile should not happen.
Isn't there an error message on the console?
Hans

PaulMy

Post by PaulMy »

Hi Hans,
That was a good explanation in your earlier post.

As I had initially mentioned the InstallCMX.log file is blank and 0 KB
I've just tried it again by using the MXDist3098.zip and still InstallCMX.log is blank. Then back with MXDist3100.zip and the same.
In all the runs I have done either with clicking on InstallCMX.exe or clicking and run as Administrator they are all the same, a very quick flash of text in the CMD window and then it closes. Too quick to pick up anything from the text.

Enjoy,
Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Davis Vantage Pro2+

HansR

Post by HansR »

OK, my bad: the difference between the debug and the release version. That's what happens if you start something from scratch.
You find the 0.1.1 version in the new post (the special position of the LICENSE file is now also handled: it is the only file without extension which is kind of awkward).

Current status remains a DEMO.
Hans

PaulMy

Post by PaulMy »

Hi Hans,
v0.1.1 has created a log file and have it attached. There is an error re License error at the end of the file.
That LICENSE folder was created and it is empty. I've compared the files between the unzipped MXDist3100 and InstallCMX install and all other files and folders seem ok. CumulusMXtest seems to run fine.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+

HansR

Post by HansR »

Just checked it: this is an error in the previous install where LICENSE was created as directory iso as file.
Just delete the whole CumulusMX tree and redo (and this shows there is some work to do... ;) )
Hans

PaulMy

Post by PaulMy »

Hi Hans,
Started from scratch with v0.1.1 and all is well, no errors in the log file. Copied in the data and Reports folder and Cumulus.ini from another CumulusMX install and everything is fine, including updating to website.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+

HansR

Post by HansR »

Ok, thanks :D
Now waiting to hear other opinions about this thing.
Hans

hvd51
Weather Station: Davis VP2 + Weatherlink IP
Operating System: Pi 4 / Linux 6.1.21-v8+ aarch64

Post by hvd51 »

Hi Hans,

Have used InstallCMX, not on my production PC but on a Windows 10 PC. Everything went well and the latest version of CumulusMX is running satisfactorily there.
Installation went quickly with no errors in the log.

:clap:

Harm
HansR

Post by HansR »

Thanks Harm, good to hear.
Hans

KarlS
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1003 / WH32 / WH41
Operating System: Buster Lite on Pi4

Post by KarlS »

Hi Hans

There is good news and there is bad news. So, the good news first: the program runs on Windows 10 (32 and 64 bit) and on RaspberryOS (even on an original 512MB Pi).

The bad news: on a FriendlyARM NanoPi M1 running Ubuntu Bionic I get the following error message

Code: Select all

karl@192.168.8.120:~$ sudo mono ./InstallCMX.exe
[sudo] password for karl: 

Unhandled Exception:
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly or one of its dependencies.
File name: 'System.IO.Compression, Version=4.2.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'
  at InstallCMX.Program.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00005] in <c98d903b9b6149c98057ddb2010d1d8a>:0 
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly or one of its dependencies.
File name: 'System.IO.Compression, Version=4.2.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'
  at InstallCMX.Program.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00005] in <c98d903b9b6149c98057ddb2010d1d8a>:0 
On a Dell 1420 notebook running Windows 7 I get a similar message:

Code: Select all

C:\Programs\InstallCMX

Unhandled Exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 
or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
   at InstallCMX.Program.RealMain<String[] args>
   at InstallCMX.Program.Main<String[] args>
CumulusMX itself is running fine on both Ubuntu and Windows 7.
HansR

Post by HansR »

@KarlS:
Thanks for testing/trying.
It appears it cannot load the compression library which is part of the system. That library has been changed significantly over the years but I can't tell you how that goes over the mono versions. I use .NET Framework 4.7.2 to build the software and further there are no weird things in the executable.

So it seems you are running a mono version which cannot handle this, could you say which version you are running?.
I run Mono JIT compiler version 5.18.0.240 (see signature). Make sure you are at least at this version (I assume you run build 3100 of CMX I can't find it on your site).
I really don't know the NanoPi and the configuration you are using, it should not make a difference so my first look would be at mono.

NOTE: I am currently looking into an extension for this installation program where I will be searching the whole system for (multiple) CMX installations. That seems to be somewhat problematic on Linux as well, so it is not impossible there are more general problems on linux, but your issue at first really seems mono related.
Hans

HansR

Post by HansR »

Version 0.5.0 released
Followed at 15:18 with 0.5.1 to solve the situation when you choose installation 3 where only 2 exist :bash:

I created an updated version of the installer: multiple versions, command line specification of build number and detection of existing installs are now supported.
Detection of (multiple installs) may run into trouble on Linux especially on larger, multi user, highly protected systems. Feedback appreciated.

NOTE: you can use it on your operational installation but be aware this is still development and test (though I have good confidence 8-) )
Hans