Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus MX Software Upgrade Available Check Feature

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

radilly
Weather Station: Ambient WS-2080
Operating System: Raspberry Pi 3, OS Buster Lite

Re: Cumulus MX Software Upgrade Available Check Feature

Post by radilly »

Interesting. I don't think I've ever seen the indicator for "Upgrade available" yet "trip"

Appreciate the discussion. My understanding follows. I don't know if it says this anywhere in so many words, but it looks to me like there are 3 states:
  • Gray - - Indicator not enabled
  • Green - - Indicator enabled and monitoring for condition
  • Red (flashing) - - Indicator "tripped"
CMX_Red_Flashing_Indicator.gif

On the Alarm Settings page, this is the header for options:
CMX_Alarm_Page_Header.jpg
These are pretty clear to me starting from the left through "Set sound file". It seems here we've been exploring Latches and Latch hrs. This is sort of orthogonal in the sense that it affects the indicator behavior after the condition is met ... or cleared??

The effect of "Notify" isn't clear to me. Anyone?

When I noticed a message in the Service Console Log a while back that said a new build was out, I decided that this was something I wanted easy access to from the Admin dashboard. So even before the indicator I added this to my "Local" dropdown...
Service_Console_Log.jpg
I just put a sym-link in interface/ to that file and access it as plain text for the moment.

As others have mentioned, I've been running (a much older version of) CMX as a service for quite some time under systemctl. As a result I got accustomed to using journalctl for logging, which I sort of like as it spans restarts, and I use it for other support services I've developed. (Just recalled that I had been running it under nohup - which the CMX -service flag more or less handles for running without a console.) At any rate, having the Service Console Log web-accessible has been helpful. Might be a useful addition.

As far as indicators, if it "new build" shows up in that log, should the indicator trip at the same time? And I would guess that latching doesn't add a lot of value for that particular indicator.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,
Bob
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

As far as I can see, all your questions have been answered in this topic already. There is a small amount of additional information in the Wiki.
Freddie
radilly

Post by radilly »

mcrossley wrote: Wed 30 Dec 2020 4:20 pm On start-up, and once a day at a random time for each run of MX.
Mark, would you expect the indicator to trip around the time a message gets written to ServiceConsoleLog.txt? It's coming up on 3 hours since the log message and the indicator is still green.

I've flushed cache and tried several different browsers - no joy.
202101014_162712_Upgrade_Available.jpg
EDIT: I just rebooted the Pi. No change.

Is there something you'd like me to check??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,
Bob
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Yes, if you get that message, the next thing it does in the code is trigger the alarm.
Could you screen shot your alarm settings page as well please.
galfert
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1000
Operating System: Mint, Raspberry Pi OS, Synology

Post by galfert »

Build 3099 was already out when we last discussed the upgrade notification issue. Therefore I would not expect the notification to work upon the release of 3100. I believe 3100 is the first build to get the upgrade notification fixes. Therefore we won't know if the fixes just put into 3100 solves the issue until 3101 comes out. Right?
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge RPI | CumulusMX on Synology NAS
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Tele-Pole flag pole
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

galfert wrote: Thu 14 Jan 2021 10:48 pm Build 3099 was already out when we last discussed the upgrade notification issue. Therefore I would not expect the notification to work upon the release of 3100. I believe 3100 is the first build to get the upgrade notification fixes. Therefore we won't know if the fixes just put into 3100 solves the issue until 3101 comes out. Right?

Posted after build 3099 was made public:
mcrossley wrote: Fri 01 Jan 2021 3:02 pm There is a problem with the latch clearing code, by it does not affect the upgrade alarm. It means alarms will be cleared after the latch time, even if latching is not enabled. I'll fix this for the next release.
Correct, but setting the latch hours to say 24 or more for the upgrade alarm should mean it is never cleared, as it will be re-triggered by the check every 24 hours. The clear time starts from the last trigger time.
radilly

Post by radilly »

mcrossley wrote: Thu 14 Jan 2021 10:33 pm Yes, if you get that message, the next thing it does in the code is trigger the alarm.
Could you screen shot your alarm settings page as well please.
20210114_192650_Alarm_Settings.jpg

So if I follow this, setting the latch time to 0 would effectively disable the alarm. So I tried setting the interval to 24 and voila!
mcrossley wrote: Fri 01 Jan 2021 3:02 pm There is a problem with the latch clearing code, by it does not affect the upgrade alarm. It means alarms will be cleared after the latch time, even if latching is not enabled. I'll fix this for the next release.
I think this squares with your description of the status.
20210114_193249_Changed_Settings.jpg
Cheers,
Bob
radilly

Post by radilly »

So this is a little odd. I restarted CMX (several times now) and it appears that it resets the Latch hours to 0. When I look at the ini file it appears to still have 24.

20210114_202652_Alarm_Settings.jpg

The last few backups shows it was set to 24

Code: Select all

$ grep UpgradeAlarmHours backup/20210114*/Cumulus.ini
backup/20210114164730/Cumulus.ini:UpgradeAlarmHours=0
backup/20210114194320/Cumulus.ini:UpgradeAlarmHours=24
backup/20210114200023/Cumulus.ini:UpgradeAlarmHours=24
backup/20210114201930/Cumulus.ini:UpgradeAlarmHours=24
Cheers,
Bob
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Looks like there is a bug somewhere with that, I'll have a look...
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Yep, a typo in the save/read from the ini file. So the value you set will only stick for the duration of the current run of Cumulus MX (same for the spike alarm latch hours)
radilly

Post by radilly »

mcrossley wrote: Fri 15 Jan 2021 12:39 pm Yep, a typo in the save/read from the ini file. So the value you set will only stick for the duration of the current run of Cumulus MX (same for the spike alarm latch hours)
Thanks Mark! As an old dude with a sometime sketchy memory :oops: my first thought was that it was me! :bash:
Cheers,
Bob
radilly

Post by radilly »

One last report ... Yesterday I reset the alarm interval to 24 (and saved). Sometime after the latest version message showed up in ServiceConsoleLog.txt just before noon, the indicator did trip as expected. I think I would want it to latch until the software is updated so I believe the settings shown are, perhaps, the minimum to accomplish that.

I still haven't figured out exactly what the "Notify" column does, but it apparently isn't necessary to get the red indicator.
2021-01-16_13-34-29.jpg

BTW - For those of you who use the dashboard primarily as a portal for managing the app/system, I found it convenient to have ready access to ServiceConsoleLog.txt. I added a menus with the link ... and added a symbolic link (Unix) to the file in MXdiags.

$ ls -l S*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 pi pi 32 Dec 23 20:59 ServiceConsoleLog.txt -> ../MXdiags/ServiceConsoleLog.txt

I also moved the indicators to the top of the page because as an admin page, they seem important. Nice feature!!
Cheers,
Bob
freddie

Post by freddie »

My upgrade alarm just triggered! This was in the log:

2021-01-19 20:05:01.202 You are not running the latest version of CumulusMX, build 3100 is available.
Cumulus has been running since last Thursday so I don't know why it has just triggered now.

root        1381       1  8 Jan14 ?        09:25:06 /usr/bin/mono /usr/lib/mono/4.5/mono-service.exe -d:/home/install/CumulusMX CumulusMX.exe -service
Freddie
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

What are your latch hours set to?
freddie

Post by freddie »

mcrossley wrote: Tue 19 Jan 2021 9:37 pm What are your latch hours set to?
I haven't done any latch hours setting, so it'll be whatever the default is.
Freddie