Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

MX Upload to webserver problem

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

andersondj
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Windows 7

MX Upload to webserver problem

Post by andersondj »

I have setup a raspberry pi installation of the latest CumulusMX release and it is creating the standard files OK.
However, I am having difficulty uploading the webfiles to a web server using the inbuilt MX ftp facility.

Attached are 2 log files :

ftplog.txt - Output log file when using ftp. Apart from file realtimegauges.txt all files failed to upload with the message "Could not get file size"

mxdiag.txt - Diagnostic file from folder MXdiag when using sftp. Files failed to upload with message "Cannot access a disposed object - Object name: Renci.SshNet.sftpclient.

In both cases I had the permissions to the upload folder set to 777.

When manually uploading the files using the Winscp ftp client set to sftp I did not experience any problems.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

David Anderson
mxdiag.txt
ftplog.txt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Re: MX Upload to webserver problem

Post by freddie »

As you are connecting okay with SFTP have you tried setting MX to use SFTP rather than FTP? It could be that your hosting service doesn't allow FTP - many are moving to SFTP or FTPS only.
Freddie
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

If you switch on debug logging we will get some more info in the logs.

But the basic problem is - "Error uploading web/index.htm to /index.htm : Permission denied"
andersondj
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by andersondj »

Attached is a session with debug logging. You will notice that realtimegauges.txt is being created and uploaded every minute without error - I have checked that it does actually arrive at the webserver. I cannot explain the message "permission denied" when index.htm is uploaded as the destination folder has 777 permissions AND the realtimegauges.txt file is uploaded to the same folder without error. Could you please explain the meaning of the "Cannot access a disposed object" message against each of the other Standard Files.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Yes the realtime SFTP is logging OK, and uploading the realtimegauges.txt file OK.

The interval SFTP is logging in OK, but the first file it tries to upload (/index.htm) fails with the permission denied error.

At this point Cumulus disposes of the SFTP client because I found trying to determine all the possible failure modes and correct action to take for each was too complex. So on first failure it aborts, and waits for the next upload cycle. Not clever I know, and it could be better I know but t is what it is for now.
My catch for the SFTP being disposed is wrong - I'll fix that for the next release.

The basic problem remains, the SFTP client does not have permissions to write to /index.htm

You probably need to check the server logs to find the reason why.
SamiS
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551 & GW1100
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS

Post by SamiS »

Maybe a dumb question, but why there is a / in front of the failing filename, but not in the realtimegauges.txt that is sent succesfully? Some glitch / typo in Cumulus settings? Another longshot that comes to my mind is the 777-permission. Maybe a server with tight security settings could restict handling of files with full permissions?
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

The leading slash could be significant. The upload process for realtime files and interval files does treat an empty remote server folder in the settings differently.

So it looks like the upload works to the default "current" remote directory, but the SSH server possibly does not set the root to the upload folder.
A test would be to try setting the remote server folder in the settings to "./" which should force all the files into the default folder.