Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

MX 3.9.1 build 3096 Errors

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

astroed
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2

MX 3.9.1 build 3096 Errors

Post by astroed »

After installing build 3096 I'm getting a lot of errors (see below). I've attached the MXdiags folder.
Thanks, Ed
MXdiags.zip
Normal running
System.ObjectDisposedException: Cannot access a disposed object.
Object name: 'Renci.SshNet.SftpClient'.
at Renci.SshNet.BaseClient.CheckDisposed()
at Renci.SshNet.BaseClient.Disconnect()
at CumulusMX.Cumulus.DoFTPLogin()
at CumulusMX.Cumulus.DoHTMLFiles()
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
**** An error has occurred - please zip up the MXdiags folder and post it in the forum ****
Press Enter to terminate
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: MX 3.9.1 build 3096 Errors

Post by mcrossley »

OK, it shouldn't have done that, but it did recover from the error.

You seem to have a problem with your SFTP server, it keeps disconnecting the active session, then refusing the reconnection request. Looking at the last log file, the first time it happened, the server did eventually accept the connection and the SFTP worked again for a while. Then the sessions were disconnected by the server again and it refused all reconnection attempts until the end of the log file.
astroed

Post by astroed »

I have been having issues with my Internet Service Provider. My internet would go through periods when it suddenly lost connection, a few minutes (or seconds) later it would suddenly pop back on. This behavior would repeat throughout the day. This behavior has been an issue for several weeks and supposedly was fixed yesterday. This issue was not causing problems with Cumulus MX in prior builds. It wasn't until I updated to 3096 did the problem appear. I noticed the errors occurred again last night. As you indicated, most of the time it recovers.
Ed
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

just a guess, are you using the ftp user account for anything else other than cumulus?
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir • CumulusMX v4.0.0

astroed

Post by astroed »

Yes, I'm using GRLevel3 software to FTP radar images to my web site using the same user account.
saratogaWX
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro Plus
Operating System: Windows 10 Professional

Post by saratogaWX »

Make sure that both CumulusMX and GRLevel3 use passive FTP to your site. If you're using active FTP (port 21 only), then only one connection is allowed at a time.
astroed

Post by astroed »

I have passive FTP set for GRLevel3 and CumulusMX FTP is set to port 22 with the FTP protocol set to SFTP.
I experimented yesterday by closing GRLevel3 to stop it from uploading files. After 24 hours CumulusMX had generated two sets of errors which indicates GRLevel3 is not the issue. CumulusMX did recover from the errors and continued to upload files.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

So GRLevel3 is using FTP and Cumulus is using SFTP (SSH file transfer). Two different protocols.

I don't know what else to say other than the remote server is disconnecting your sessions, then refusing the new connections when Cumulus tries to reconnect. After a while it accepts the connection and the transfers resume.

Can you try using good old slow FTP (or FTPS) for the uploads and see if that is any more stable?
saratogaWX
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro Plus
Operating System: Windows 10 Professional

Post by saratogaWX »

GRLevel3 can only do FTP (not SFTP nor FTPS). I agree with Mark, you should use FTP (port 21) Passive for both GRLevel3 and CumulusMX uploads.
astroed

Post by astroed »

When I tried both good old FTP and FTPS in CumulusMX, FTP stopped working. I now recalled that I was having FTP problems several months ago and had contacted my web hosting service (BlueHost). They had made some changes in their FTP requirements which I'm guessing were for security reasons. They had me modify the Cumulus FTP settings to port 22 and FTPS at which point FTP in CumulusMX started working again. It had been working fine until until I installed the latest CumulusMX build. Also, I don't see a way to the change port setting in GRlevel3. As I stated previously, GRlevel3 doesn't seem to be causing the issue since I disabled it for 24 hours and the CumulusMX errors still occasionally occurred.

I can live with this problem since it only occurs once or twice a day and connection is always reestablished after a brief delay. Let me know if there is anything else you want me to try.

Thanks everyone for helping me with this issue!

Ed