Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

CumulusMX data location?

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

peterbent55
Weather Station: Fine Offset
Operating System: Raspian Buster

CumulusMX data location?

Post by peterbent55 »

In earlier versions of Cumulus (prior to MX), I could easily backup the data files to an external drive just in case of hard disk or PC failure. I've tried the same tactic with MX by copying the data and backup folders, but the contents of these don't seem to have changed from one day to the next. I can see the data log from within the dashboard, but can't find the equivalent file within the CumulusMX folder, so my question is: which files do I need to copy to ensure safety of the information, and where are they located?
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Re: CumulusMX data location?

Post by freddie »

Back up everything in the data folder. That's where the data files are kept.
Freddie
peterbent55
Weather Station: Fine Offset
Operating System: Raspian Buster

Post by peterbent55 »

Thanks, all sorted now, found the file Nov20.txt. Don't know why it didn't back up earlier when I tried.
radilly
Weather Station: Ambient WS-2080
Operating System: Raspberry Pi 3, OS Buster Lite

Post by radilly »

I had a similar question recently and, because I'm running on a Pi, I used the find command to investigate which files were changing. The find command has a lot of options I've used to see what's going in in a filesystem. I thought this might be useful to others. Two similar examples:

Code: Select all

find ~/CumulusMX -mmin -2 -ls
This lists the files modified in the last 2 minutes. For me 32 files. Mostly in CumulusMX/web. Some in "data" and one in "MXdiags" - and two in the root, CumulusMX.

The -2 translates to 2 or less. An unsigned 2 would, more or less, show files last modified between 60 and 120 seconds ago, sort of in the minute before the current minute.

Code: Select all

find ~/CumulusMX -mtime -2 -ls
Same command except "-mmin" is changed to "-mtime", which changes the units from minutes to days. For me that includes 59 files, across these directories:

CumulusMX
CumulusMX/backup
CumulusMX/backup/daily
CumulusMX/backup/daily/20201130000000
CumulusMX/backup/daily/20201201000000
CumulusMX/data
CumulusMX/MXdiags
CumulusMX/web

Over the years find is one of several commands that caused me to install Cygwin (https://www.cygwin.com/) on Windows systems I was using for testing, so I could easily find what files were changing with various constraints added...

Bob
Cheers,
Bob