Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Wind Direction scatter chart not rendering in browser

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

Colin99
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Operating System: 64 bit Raspberry pi Debian

Wind Direction scatter chart not rendering in browser

Post by Colin99 »

Evening all

I have a rather strange problem with one of the standard charts only.

Since resolving my data logging hardware problem last week, things have gone very well. I managed to get Cumulus all running locally (build 3089) on the R Pi, then organised a remote web host (with krystal.uk), and got the "Simple website" configuration uploaded and working. I looked at all pages (both in the local interface and on the web) from my desktop PC and initially all worked fine. :D

Then as I continued to test the next day, the wind direction chart suddenly stopped displaying data points. Around then I picked up the message about build 3091, so did a fresh install on Monday 17th. Again the charts worked OK. The following day, sure enough, it had disappeared again, but I didn't think too much about it. However, now that I have finished testing all the basics, and want to start thinking about some simple customisation, I thought I should look into this issue a bit more, which has not resolved itself.

I randomly tried accessing my site (again both local interface directly on the R Pi, and also the website) from an Android tablet and was surprised to see the chart data displayed fine in either Chrome or the Samsung browser. So I checked different browsers on my PC, and found that my default Chrome browser still does not display the data points (although it did on first days of install with both builds as per above), and neither does Microsoft Edge. It does however work fine in a legacy IE11 browser!

Has anyone come across this before, or have any idea what to check? I'm not attaching logs but happy to attach if anyone thinks any are relevant. PC screenshots attached of both Chrome and IE11. The offending page is here (navigate to Wind Dir option):

https://www.ashingtonmet.co.uk/trends.htm

Colin
Chrome .jpg
IE11 .jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Re: Wind Direction scatter chart not rendering in browser

Post by HansR »

Yes, there is a thread on this issue. If you read that you may understand it is google chrome which is the cause. If you switch off hardware acceleration the problem may be gone.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
Colin99

Post by Colin99 »

Thanks for that pointer Hans. It is a long and varied thread (which probably explains why my forum search strings didn't pick it up), but it has opened my eyes to other interesting parts of this forum!

Absolutely right, turning acceleration off does fix the problem in Chrome, and also in Edge (which is of course now Chromium-based)! Chrome on Android is clearly a different beast, which is why that is fine I guess. As meteo19 commented, this is not ideal, as site visitors will most likely have this feature turned on. I guess it is probably wise for now to add a suitable comment above the wind direction graph on my site, which I will look at in due course.

Thanks again!

Colin
Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Post by Mapantz »

Your wind direction works fine and loads fast for me, both on Chromium based Edge and Chrome itself. (hardware acceleration on)
Colin99

Post by Colin99 »

Thanks for the confirmation. I assume you have hardware acceleration turned off as I now do.

Like your website by the way! One of the ones I had been looking at in collecting ideas for how I might customise.

Cheers

Colin
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

Colin99 wrote: Fri 21 Aug 2020 11:24 am Thanks for the confirmation. I assume you have hardware acceleration turned off as I now do.

Like your website by the way! One of the ones I had been looking at in collecting ideas for how I might customise.

Cheers

Colin
Thanks for the kind words. :)

Nope, it's on. I never turn hardware acceleration off in my browsers, it creates more problems with other sites.
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

Mapantz wrote: Fri 21 Aug 2020 10:49 am Your wind direction works fine and loads fast for me, both on Chromium based Edge and Chrome itself. (hardware acceleration on)
Same here. site working with HW Acceleration turned on.
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir •

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

I thought the scripts were changed a few releases back to solve the hardware acceleration issue.
HansR

Post by HansR »

@ConligWX, @Mapanz: It appears not to be as straight forward as you may think. It appears to be a confusing interaction between hardware acceleration, WebGL and the type of graphics card (if I read the articles I found). And whichever corner you take, if you switch hardware acceleration off if you have the problem (which both of you apparently don't have), the problem goes away and the scatter always displays. So, the fact that you don't see the problem does not say anything about the situation at @colin99.
Hans

Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

Tested on PC:

Opera/Brave/Firefox/Edge (chromium)/Chromium and Chrome - Works as it should.

Tested on phone:

Opera/Edge/Chrome/Samsung browser - Works as it should.

Tested on tablet:

Opera/Edge/Chrome/Samsung browser - Works as it should.
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

HansR wrote: Fri 21 Aug 2020 11:42 am @ConligWX, @Mapanz: It appears not to be as straight forward as you may think. It appears to be a confusing interaction between hardware acceleration, WebGL and the type of graphics card (if I read the articles I found). And whichever corner you take, if you switch hardware acceleration off if you have the problem (which both of you apparently don't have), the problem goes away and the scatter always displays. So, the fact that you don't see the problem does not say anything about the situation at @colin99.
yes HansR, it may not say anything about him, but as we are site visitors - he said "site visitors will most likely have this feature turned on" which we have, didn't affect us. that's why myself and Mapanz replied.
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir •

HansR

Post by HansR »

True
Hans

Colin99

Post by Colin99 »

Hi everyone

Very interesting! I'm sure Hans is right and I am probably not the only one experiencing this. I appreciate it most likely will not be solved though.

For me it is very repeatable now I know the cause. Hardware Acceleration on equals no data displayed on this one particular graph in Chrome on my PC only (and latest Edge version which is Chrome-based anyway). Turn it off or use other browsers or devices and all is fine. Re the other potential elements in the "Interaction" I have an Nvidia 9600 based graphics card with latest available driver (dated 2016) running under Windows 10 Pro, Build 19041. I'm assuming WebGL is used within Cumulus.

If anyone would like me to supply any other information or try anything else please shout. Otherwise happy to move on!

Thanks for the help.

Colin