Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Archive data question

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

Elf001
Weather Station: Logia 7 in 1
Operating System: Windows 11

Archive data question

Post by Elf001 »

I have my station since 07.2018, but change from cumulus 1 (on windows) to cumulus mx (on raspberry pi).
I put old *log.txt files into /data folder, but cumulus can not read/processing these.
The cumulus.ini file contain StartDate=2020. május 25., hétfő. This is the change date.
Under the Records link contains only data from this timestamp and later.
What can i do for processing old datas?

thank you for your help, and sorry for my terrible english.
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Re: Archive data question

Post by sfws »

Elf001 wrote: Sun 05 Jul 2020 9:19 am I have my station since 07.2018, but change from cumulus 1 (on windows) to cumulus mx (on raspberry pi).
I put old *log.txt files into /data folder, but cumulus can not read/processing these.
The cumulus.ini file contain StartDate=2020. május 25., hétfő. This is the change date.
Under the Records link contains only data from this timestamp and later.
What can i do for processing old datas?
That means you swapped from Cumulus 1 to MX on 25 May?
That is too long ago, to start again, and do all the steps as per my final paragraph, so you have one small step, and one big task to do:

1) Edit Cumulus.ini file where it contain StartDate=2020. május 25., hétfő , now replace it with date that was in your Cumulus 1 version of that file.

2) Go to Edit menu of admin interface. Work through each page (except today's rain) in the droip down for that menu. In each case ask MX to load the log files (yes it may be slow, but only way) and work down, updating every record individually, until every individual extreme is correct.

Lesson for others to learn, when moving from Cumulus 1 to MX, move all configuration files e.g. Cumulus.ini, strings.ini from your old Windows, to your new raspberry pi (or whatever). It is always best if you read and follow instructions at https://cumuluswiki.org/a/Moving_from_Cumulus_1_to_MX.

EDIT of next sentence after water01 and ExperiMentor responded to this post to make my point below clearer.

I did try to suggest to administrators forum should provide more help for those switching from Cumulus 1 to MX some time ago, but nobody other than me cares about being helpful.
Last edited by sfws on Tue 07 Jul 2020 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
ExperiMentor
Weather Station: Fine Offset & Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10; Raspbian Buster

Post by ExperiMentor »

sfws wrote: Sun 05 Jul 2020 2:16 pm but nobody other than me cares about being helpful.
I'd hate to think that's true - lots of help is being given here.

I've put the link above into the 'Instructions: Installing CumulusMX on Raspberry Pi' tutorial at viewtopic.php?f=40&t=17895
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bookworm

Post by HansR »

Could the cause be in a filenaming issue of mx versus 1. I see points and a comma (typo?) in the filename which may come from the locale (which language is this). If that is the case, the suggestion of starting over may not help.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
sfws

Post by sfws »

HansR wrote: Tue 07 Jul 2020 4:17 am I see points and a comma (typo?) in the filename
Having commas in dates is quite usual when month precedes day of month as here where május is Hungarian for May.
Last edited by sfws on Wed 08 Jul 2020 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HansR

Post by HansR »

sfws wrote: Tue 07 Jul 2020 10:54 am Elf001 is quoting a normal standard log file name with a wild card in front!
I am aware of that.

And I do mean file naming issue. Yes. Chances are that the file name used by CMX is different from the one used by Cumulus 1. Just because of the use of locale in the filename. That would explain why those files are not used/recognised.
sfws wrote: Tue 07 Jul 2020 10:54 am Having commas in dates is quite usual when month precedes day of month as here where május is Hungarian for May.
OK, Hungarian. But I repeat again: the file naming of the datafiles by using the locale/date might be causing the error.

I have said it before: the choice of locale date for the file naming is not the best of choice. Mark did change something in the file names: additional point was removed.
Hans

sfws

Post by sfws »

Hans, true locale changes could make file names in accessible. But we have not been told anything about changes to file names

But I am also right: If MX is started without the Cumulus.ini from Cumulus 1, all extremes are calculated based on the new start date, not reading older log file lines. And we were told what start date is in use.
Last edited by sfws on Wed 08 Jul 2020 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HansR

Post by HansR »

sfws wrote: Tue 07 Jul 2020 1:10 pm Hans, true locale changes could make file names in accessible. But we have not been told anything about changes to names

But I am also right: CumulusMX.exe will ignore any log files with lines prior to start date in Cumulus.ini. And we were told what start date is in use.
Yes, I get what you're saying.
Hans