Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Long running trend scripts - b3084

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

stevendt
Weather Station: Davis Vatnage Pro2 Plus
Operating System: Windows 7/10

Long running trend scripts - b3084

Post by stevendt »

Hi,

the trend zooms in the latest version (b3084) seem to take a long time to pull the data. I got a message from Edge about a long running script, but most times, the trend redraw is just really slow, has anyone else seen this behaviour?

UPDATE : It appears that it's just Wind Direction that has this, other trend response looks normal

regards
Dave
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Long running trend scripts - b3084

Post by mcrossley »

Nothing has changed in those scripts for some time - only the highcharts theme has been pinned to it's old source.

What sort of computer are you running the browser on? The wind direction chart does use some custom code to plot the points in HighCharts which is quite expensive in compute time.
stevendt

Post by stevendt »

Hi Mark,

thanks for the reply, I first noticed the issue on an iPad using Safari, but have the same problem on two laptops running Windows 10 - one of which is very powerful.

Could you have quick browse to the Wind Dir trend at http://primrosebank.net/weather/cumulus/index.htm and see if you see the same behaviour when switching timebases please?
If you do, could it be some sort of data corruption?

More Info: I just tried Hans's site at https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl/
Switching between All and 12h for Wind Direction (Windrichting) takes an age (it's all relative I suppose, but 10s feels like an age :) ), is that to be expected ?

regards
Dave
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

both trend zooms from my pc to those two websites are working fine. perhaps you have some issue with your broadband, browser plugin, or AV slowing the screen down.
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir • CumulusMX v4.0.0

water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

I tried it on your site and then on mine and yours is way slower, whereas mine is almost instantaneous. Ran the Developer pane on your page but there is nothing obvious.
David
stevendt

Post by stevendt »

Hi Simon,

thanks for the info. If you can zoom the Wind Dir trend without undue delays, then, yes, it must be something here, but, unless it's some weird internet connection thing, I don't know what it can be.

Tried different computers (3), plus iPad
Different Browsers (Edge, Chrome, IE and Safari)
Different AV (Norton, Symantec SEP)

mmm, puzzled :?

regards
Dave
ConligWX

Post by ConligWX »

you could tried enabling compression on the json files and and possibly adding leverage Browser Caching some files perhaps?

https://gtmetrix.com/reports/primrosebank.net/uYsUQxi5

in your .htaccess file add

Code: Select all

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/json
to the </IfModule> section.
Regards Simon

Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir • CumulusMX v4.0.0

stevendt

Post by stevendt »

Hi Simon,

thanks for the info - that's an interesting diagnostic page - not that I understand much of it :)

Is .htaccess not an Apache web server file? I think that my host is using IIS

I think the equivalent might be web.config (?), but there's no equivalent looking section in that file

regards
Dave
ConligWX

Post by ConligWX »

Sorry, cant help with IIS i'm afraid. Yes htaccess is Apache.
Regards Simon

stevendt

Post by stevendt »

Hi David,

thanks for trying, and the feedback. Did you try the other link to Hans's site? - IS it the same?

I just tried on your page and get good results too - I guess that rules out my browsers and internet connection and it's something in the config/data

regards
Dave
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bookworm

Post by HansR »

Hi Dave,
If I may jump in the discussion. If I understand it well your problem is the slowness of the graphs, especially when loading and when switching times base (6hr 12 hr and all)
  • the difference between your site and my site wrt the graphs does not exist. The graphs are the same, the software is the same.
  • the graphs are made by HighCharts javascript procedures, and the data is loaded by Ajax-calls.
  • Any slowness must be analysed by data loading or rendering of the graphs.
  • If I look at your site, I see no slowness. But if you experience slow behaviour it must be somewhere in your environment. As your Win10 laptops also behave slow (correct me if I am wrong) I have a question: are all machines displaying this behaviour on the same [local] network?
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
stevendt

Post by stevendt »

Hi Hans,

thanks for jumping in (I hope you didn't mind my using your site as an example?).

The machines here are all on the same local network (domain).

The situation is very confusing, you graphs and mine are very slow for me, but . . .
David's page works fine, but he sees my data refresh being slow
You see my page working as expected

There does not seem to be consistent behaviour between different users looking at different sites when looking at the Wind Direction (not speed) trend

regards
Dave
HansR

Post by HansR »

stevendt wrote: Sun 21 Jun 2020 1:18 pm thanks for jumping in (I hope you didn't mind my using your site as an example?).
You're welcome and no I don't mind at all :D
stevendt wrote: Sun 21 Jun 2020 1:18 pm The machines here are all on the same local network (domain).

The situation is very confusing, you graphs and mine are very slow for me, but . . .
David's page works fine, but he sees my data refresh being slow
You see my page working as expected

There does not seem to be consistent behaviour between different users looking at different sites when looking at the Wind Direction (not speed) trend
No it does not seem consistent, however as your site behaves normal to me and you have problems within your local network and my site looks slow to you as well , I would really suspect your network. I would start try rebooting the router/switches or whatever hardware you have and if that does not have any effect, try at the neighbours on their local network if that is possible.

These graphs are network based although it is unclear to me what the event behind the rangeSelector (6, 12, all hrs) does. But it would not surprise me if it had something to do with the local network. So I would try a reset there first.
Hans

stevendt

Post by stevendt »

Hi Hans,

I can't reset my router and switches at the moment, but I think that I have eliminated the local network. . .

If I disable wifi on my iPad and connect to the web using 4G, the results are the same - the Wind Dir trend is very slow, so I think that suggests something at my web server (hosted) end.

Edit: just to be clear, it's not necessarily the initial call up of the Wind Dir trend that is the problem, it is when I select one of the zoomed time ranges (6h, 12h) that the graph takes an extended time to display after it runs the associated script

regards
Dave
HansR

Post by HansR »

stevendt wrote: Sun 21 Jun 2020 2:23 pm Edit: just to be clear, it's not necessarily the initial call up of the Wind Dir trend that is the problem, it is when I select one of the zoomed time ranges (6h, 12h) that the graph takes an extended time to display after it runs the associated script
If it is the rangeSelector, than it is in the Highcharts/javascript subsystem. What I said before, I am not sure what the event handling of the button press of that selector does, but I assume it simply uses the data it already has and recreates the graph. I tested this locally here and I don't see any network activity by pressing the range selector.

So, it points to the Highcharts/javascript subsystem, but I would not expect it to be similarly slow on three different machines.

Unfortunately, it ends here for me as well.
Still I would try some reboots of routers etc...

Anyway, if you are handy with the browsers you might try the debugger/console/network/performance analysis methods, otherwise this could be difficult to troubleshoot.
Sorry don't know. :?
Hans