Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Aborted project to develop new admin interface editors for the log files

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Aborted project to develop new admin interface editors for the log files

Post by sfws »

In the release announcements dated Fri 13 Mar 2020 11:22 am for Version 3.4.5 - Build 3069
Mark Crossley said
The main thrust of this release is to add some log file editing capability to Cumulus MX.
It works on all three log file types, but it is fairly basic at present. You can edit or delete lines in the files.
The editing has to be done via pop-up dialog. I only found two libraries that support JQuery dataTables editing,
one is very comprehensive - but costs $$$ - the other is free.
The free version does not currently support in-line editing of the table which is a shame.
If any web guru out there can come up with a better solution please post about it on the forum, or send a pull request.
Ever since I saw that I have been trying to design an enhanced functionality implementation. In-line editing is one aim, but adding validation is main aim as there is no validation of inputs in the current editor.

For the standard (monthly) logs, some fields are derived from others, but there is nothing to help you when you edit a source field to know what edit to make to derived fields, to keep them in line with any edit of source fields, so this is my additional aim for that web page. The feels like field was added in MX version 3.6.0 build 3076, but the editor does not help you to edit that into older lines in the log files. You may have seen my PHP script at viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18096&p=142634 that will add feels like field into log file lines where it does not exist. That script also updates other derived fields, so I know how to do this, but for the admin interface editors I need to make the same principle work in JavaScript and I don't find that so easy for writing formulas.

By May 2020, my ideas had crystallised into a possible redesign. At that stage,I discussed my idea for this enhancement with Mark before I committed any more of my time to this JavaScript project. He thought it was a good idea, but obviously he did not have time to spare to work out how to implement my idea (because of trying to keep up with Ecowitt, and adapt MX for more secure file transfer), which is basically why I have done the work. With his blessing, I have proceeded to code something that I could pass to other people to see whether they supported my theory.

If anyone else wants to test this, please PM me, and I can supply a copy of my latest zip of edited files.

The feedback from those who have already helped with testing has convinced me that my improvement is desired, but I have not got it working correctly yet, this feedback is helping me improve my design and achieve more and more sophistication.

The whole project was constrained by how other parts of MX work, of how data tables and other external software used by MX work.
This implies my great ideas cannot be implemented by simply tweaking existing HTML and js.

Unfortunately, all parts are so tightly interlocked, any HTML page styling change in one place affects others. As part of this project I taught myself Bootstrap (unfortunately I learnt the latest version and then discovered that MX uses an obsolete version) and studied the AltEditor software in great detail as well as studying the bits of MX code at the other end of the application programming interfaces used.

The problem with my initial design was that I could not make it work within these constraints. The latest change to the subject for this topic is because I now accept that it is impossible to successfully alter one part of admin interface in isolation. And when I tried to edit styling for example, Mark rejected my project for inclusion in a public release because it upset other parts of the admin interface. Thus I had to abort the project because of this snag, and my need to spend time on other tasks.
Last edited by sfws on Sat 04 Jul 2020 8:00 am, edited 6 times in total.
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Re: 2nd testers appeal - re Editor for the standard (monthly) log file

Post by water01 »

In case anyone is wondering I have installed swfs's modification (very easy) and it is a a very useful upgrade to the datalog editors. The more of us that test it the better it gets :clap: :clap: :clap:
David
sfws

Post by sfws »

contents removed
Last edited by sfws on Thu 18 Jun 2020 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
laulau
Weather Station: WeatherDuino Pro2
Operating System: Win 7

Post by laulau »

Hi,
I don't use mph but °C, am i still eligible to participate in the test? ;) :?:
Laurent

sfws

Post by sfws »

contents removed
Last edited by sfws on Thu 18 Jun 2020 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
sfws

Post by sfws »

Contents removed
Last edited by sfws on Thu 18 Jun 2020 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
sfws

Post by sfws »

contents removed
Last edited by sfws on Thu 18 Jun 2020 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
sfws

Re: FINAL CHANCE - re Editor for the standard (monthly) log file

Post by sfws »

contents removed
Last edited by sfws on Thu 18 Jun 2020 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
sfws

Re: Mark 2 version of Editor for the standard (monthly) log file

Post by sfws »

Contents removed
Last edited by sfws on Thu 18 Jun 2020 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
sfws

Re: Mark 4 version of Editor for the log file

Post by sfws »

Contents removed
Last edited by sfws on Sat 04 Jul 2020 8:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bookworm

Post by HansR »

[edit: erase message]
Ah no extra sensor log files.... sorry
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
sfws

Post by sfws »

The issue that this post asked about has been sorted.
Last edited by sfws on Mon 15 Jun 2020 10:39 am, edited 5 times in total.
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bookworm

Post by HansR »

Take the equations from the source of CMX and make sure you get a message if something there changes (through github), good or bad: that's what you need for data consistency.
Mark may be too busy responding to mails, but he is pretty accurate with checking in the source when releasing and when your result is becoming part of the release, it becomes his anyway.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3