Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Build 3081 - new SFTP errors

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

Vegit8
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Win 10

Re: Build 3081 - new SFTP errors

Post by Vegit8 »

Hi Mark
Thanks for the quick response.
Timing out is almost certainly down to broadband speed.
He is on ADSL, and uploads videos to YouTube, quite often - he has 300k followers.
I'm sure thats where the problem lies.
I dont think there is an issue with his website performance per se.
Gregorean
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Raspberry Pi 4B

Post by Gregorean »

Hello everyone, I follow this topic with interest, I host my website locally and use sftp.
With standard ftp I don't get into my server and it doesn't upload any files. It will probably not be due to my upload I have here fiber optic internet with symmetric 1000/1000 mbps up/down. :o

I also suffer from the fact that my website stops after an hour, with the last MX build 3082 the failure is more frequent than with earlier versions, then it was every 2 to 3 hours.
Here below a part of my MX log,
2020-06-05 21:27:30.512 Error connecting sftp - Connection failed to establish within 30000 milliseconds.
2020-06-05 21:27:30.514 *** Data input appears to have stopped
2020-06-05 21:27:30.700 Realtime FTP[253]: Error during update: Sharing violation on path /home/debian/CumulusMX/realtime.txt
2020-06-05 21:27:36.204 Realtime FTP[240]: Error reconnecting ftp server - Connection failed to establish within 30000 milliseconds.
2020-06-05 21:27:36.205 Attempting realtime SFTP connect to host 192.168.1.131 on port 22
2020-06-05 21:28:00.254 Error connecting sftp - Connection failed to establish within 30000 milliseconds.
2020-06-05 21:28:00.257 *** Data input appears to have stopped…..
…………….
I hope there will be a solution soon, but don't hurry I don't have to make a living with it, it remains a hobby. ;)

Greetings Sjaak.
Weather Station: Amersfoort-Nieuwland, The Netherlands.
http://element14.synology.me
richard_newberry
Weather Station: Watson W-8186
Operating System: Raspbian Bookworm & Debian 12

Post by richard_newberry »

Can i ask,

where is the webserver to your cumulusMX?

Is the webserver on the same machine? if it is can't you use extra web files?

If the server is hosted on another machine, like i am why you getting tmp files at the end i am not when i am transfering realtime ftp files i am not getting tmp only when using extra web files process?

if you have 2 files delete the files with tmp at the end of the file you must of used extra web files to get that?

let it upload the real realtime.txt files and the template files and should work?

Is there a website address we can have a look at to see what the realtime.txt and realtimegauges.txt is showing?

Are you using a wireless connection? or you got a slow internet connection? try moving closer to your router if that doesn't work restart your router to get a better connectivity.
Desford Weather (at parents)
https://desford-weather.co.uk

Countesthorpe Weather (at mine)
https://countesthorpe-weather.co.uk
Gregorean

Post by Gregorean »

Hello Richard, if these questions are for me I will try to answer them, I am also here viewtopic.php?p=143462#p143462 active and assumed that my attitude was known, sorry that I had not mentioned. :oops:
where is the webserver to your cumulusMX
Is the webserver on the same machine? if it's can't you use extra web files?
It runs on the same machine, I'm using a standalone Beagle Bone Black similar to a Raspberry pi 3b, but with a bit more features, it has a 4Gb eMMC memory which runs the whole OS and CumulusMX.

Did expand the memory by expanding the sd card, in the beginning I ran into the limits of the internal memory, CumulusMX verified that and then indicated that I only had 5% memory left.

That is now a thing of the past by expanding the sd card, just like you have to do with the RPI to use the entire volume of sd card of 8Gb.
Everything is fixed and wired to my internal 1Gb network, so not via WiFi. ;)

I can indeed use Extra Webfiles because CumulusMX also runs on the same linux device.
Furthermore I use Debian Buster as OS and NGINX as local webserver with php 7.3.
If the server is hosted on another machine, like i am why you getting tmp files at the end i am not when i am transfering realtime ftp files i am not getting tmp only when using extra web files process?
No like I wrote, everything runs on the same machine, and I know exactly how it works with the .tmp files in the CumulusMX web directory, I use the CumulusMX fileserver for uploading most files, but some files I need FTP for that like graphics files and the moon.png for CumulusMX.
The problem is that normal FTP doesn't work to upload certain files because I use SSH on my linux server, so I have to use SFTP so everything works properly.
Yesterday I put everything back to ftp because sftp is not workable at the moment, too many failures every hour or even after half an hour it stops. :evil:
I only need to upload some .json files via Extra Webfiles because ftp doesn't do that right now.
Also realtime.txt for some Android apps I now have to do via Extra Webfiles, I hope this is now a bit clear for you.
My website can be viewed here http://element14.serverthuis.nl/ and a click on ''UImx'' will take you to my other website template of our esteemed @BCJKiwi.

Grtz, Sjaak.
Gregorean

Post by Gregorean »

Hello Mark, I would like to mention that SFTP upload with Cumulus MX build 3083 now works without any problems, I haven't had a failure since this release, thanks for that and especially for the quick action. :D
The more I use CumulusMX and work with it the better I like it. I use Brian BCJKiwi's new UImx which is now fully functional except for one thing, only NOAA reports don't work yet but I'll ask that in the relevant topic.

Greetings Sjaak.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Great, thanks for letting me know.
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Post by sfws »

Gregorean wrote: Tue 09 Jun 2020 2:49 pm I use Brian BCJKiwi's new UImx which is now fully functional except for one thing, only NOAA reports don't work yet but I'll ask that in the relevant topic.
I suggest you don't use that relevant topic for the UImx viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17845 but start a new topic specifically for
NOAA report problems in the CumulusMX and Cumulus1 UI style Multilingual Websites
as the existing BCJKiwi topic is now getting rather big and covering a whole range of issues.

Maybe @water01 will find time to move the posts in the original BCJKiwi topic viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17845 that relate to NOAA reports into that new topic (either before or after you create it)

Meanwhile if you search that existing long topic you will recall there previous discussion about problems with getting NOAA reports to work. Basically, you should follow the HowTo by BCJKIwi, and ensure all NOAA settings are reverted to the following defaults (shown here in extract from Cumulus.ini)

Code: Select all

[NOAA]
MonthFileFormat='NOAAMO'MMyy'.txt'
YearFileFormat='NOAAYR'yyyy'.txt'
NOAAUseUTF8=0
I also suspect that his script might not handle decimal commas, but I'm going to stop saying anything more irrelevant to the SFTP errors subject of this topic
Last edited by sfws on Tue 09 Jun 2020 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gregorean

Post by Gregorean »

Hello sfwss, sorry maybe you read about it but I wrote
…..but I'll ask that in the relevant topic.
I just only wanted to thank Mark for solving the sftp upload problem so quickly, and not polluting this topic with my NOAA questions. ;)

Greetings Sjaak.