Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Updating to a new MX release

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

billy
Weather Station: WLL / Davis VP2+
Operating System: RPi bullseye

Updating to a new MX release

Post by billy »

I'm in need of a bit of education about a couple of things that come out of my browsing the wiki (for entirely different purposes to the questions below!). The "Cumulus MX" topic states:

Annotation 2020-05-18 174217.jpg

(1) I stumbled across the first sentence and wondered what is "the console log" being referred to here?
(2) And then I noticed the second sentence. My MXdiags file doesn't seem to mention a new version being available. Have I missed something in there?

Of course neither issue creates a problem in terms of keeping informed about new versions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Re: Updating to a new MX release

Post by water01 »

The console log refers to the output terminal window that MX shows when it is run with the sudo command.
David
billy

Post by billy »

thank you - I use the start/stop/restart script so the mystery is solved
jank
Weather Station: FineOffset WS3080
Operating System: Debian Buster - Raspbian - Raspb

Post by jank »

billy wrote: Mon 18 May 2020 1:05 pm thank you - I use the start/stop/restart script so the mystery is solved
Hello billy

there is a bug in the start/stop/restart script which is not showing the version information correctly

Bug is fixed ...new version already in the pipeline.....please be patient

-....and:

(1) I stumbled across the first sentence and wondered what is "the console log" being referred to here?
(2) And then I noticed the second sentence. My MXdiags file doesn't seem to mention a new version being available. Have I missed something in there?

I never saw an "update available" information in the console output....(mono CumulusMX.exe) of course, I am also using the start stop script......
But in the "update available" information is present in the MXDiags log
Do want a Managing Dashboard for CumulusMX on RaspberryPi? cumulusmx.sh
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=17907
billy

Post by billy »

thanks. (and still no luck searching mxdiags for update availability - but this is getting pedantic in the extreme)
jank

Post by jank »

billy wrote: Mon 18 May 2020 2:03 pm thanks. (and still no luck searching mxdiags for update availability - but this is getting pedantic in the extreme)
Are you sure, you are running an old version of CumulusMX ?
Anyway....here it is:

2020-05-14 14:19:26.389 Expecting listsep=, decimal=.
2020-05-14 14:19:27.987 You are not running the latest version of CumulusMX, build 3076 is available.
2020-05-14 14:19:42.161 Midnight rain found in the following entry:

And yes, I didn't realized the past updates because of the Bug in my Start Stop Script .....I realized it, when I had the need to have a deeper look into the debug logfile.
However, I am not sure, if this is only being logged if you run CumulusMX in the debug mode....btw: this is also new in the next version of my Script....running CumulusMX in Debug mode..........it was a suggestion from Mark....
Jan
billy

Post by billy »

Today I updated to 3078 (from 3075). I had restarted MX several times during the period 3075 was the version installed (from at least 28/04/2020 until today) and none of the mxdiags files have a line with "you are not running .... ". (I've searched in several different ways). In the restart today (before the upgrade) there is no line in the equivalent place to the one you have posted. Mine shows:

2020-05-19 12:24:59.947 Expecting listsep=, decimal=.
2020-05-19 12:25:00.837 Midnight rain found in the following entry:

Debug logging has been on throughout that period, but not data logging.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Of course, the computer you are running CMX on has to have internet access to perform the check?
billy

Post by billy »

My knee jerk reaction to that question is yes, but my ignorance is now really going to be revealed. mx runs on a rpi that I manage headless. It happily uploads files to my website (externally hosted) so it is connected to the internet. I've also set it up to send emails. But I've never tried to use it to browse the web.
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

billy wrote: Tue 19 May 2020 1:08 pmBut I've never tried to use it to browse the web.
Sounds like you do have internet access. Try running this in a terminal window:

Code: Select all

wget https://github.com/cumulusmx/CumulusMX/releases/download/b3078/CumulusMXDist3078.zip
If that succeeds then you definitely have everything working okay.
Freddie
jank

Post by jank »

...since the Start Stop Script -> ./cumulusmx.sh -s is showing values, I assume that this raspberry is able to reach the internet.

Can you try to start CumulusMX in debug Mode and look again into the MXdiags file ?

sudo mono CumulusMX.exe -debug
Look into the latest logfile in the MXdiags folderand search again for the sting - use grep command
grep -i "You are not running" MXdiags/*.txt
Jan
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

The update message is a normal log message, it does not require debug logging to be enabled. But the debug log may show something else of course. ;)
billy

Post by billy »

Freddie - yep that downloads the distribution

Jank: Debug logging has been on all the time - on three occasions in the past 6 months the connection to my station has been lost (in the previous few years no problem) and I have been waiting patiently to get more information when/if it does it again. Nonetheless, I did what you said. Of course there is no message of that sort now because I'm up to date as of this afternoon! Does one expect a line in the file indicating the version is up to date if that is the situation?
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

No, it only logs a message if you are out of date.
billy

Post by billy »

Just to close this off, I now get the message that I'm not running the latest version of MX. As indicated in another post, I have been running with an old version of mono (4.something) and this seemed to prevent CumulusUtils from installing because it didn't have a valid SSL certificate for a fetch. An upgrade to mono V6.8 solved that problem - and I presume the new version of MX message in the console was having a similar issue.