Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

CumulusMX Freezing

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

Safety
Weather Station: Davis Pro
Operating System: Windows 11

CumulusMX Freezing

Post by Safety »

Hi all,

I have been running CumulusMX for a few months now and have found it much better than Cumulus V1, V1 I ran for many years. However, in the time I have been running MX I have noted that it had frozen a number of times i.e. the green arrow pointer with in the Last cumulus / station update status changing to red down arrow mostly the last station update. And the only way I have been able to restart is by closing and restarting CumulusMX Version 3.5.4 3075. Yes, I will be updating in due course.

Examining the MXdiags log files I found that I had a number of issues that I have sorted and it has pointed me to the CumulusMX freezing issue as this is being flagged as *** Data input appears to have stopped. I have attached file 20200516-200855.txt. As CumulusMX had been running OK at 2020-05-17 11:31:58 I trayed an experiment to see how CumulusMX would handle the removal of the data etc from my Davis vantage pro weather envoy this I did at 11:31 and as can be seen below how CumulusMX is seeing this condition at ~11:33 the data was reconnected but CumulusMX did not see this and would not respond correctly i.e. did not start responding until I stopped the programme and restarted, which are the same symptoms that I have been experiencing .

2020-05-17 11:31:58.234 !!! loop data not received, bytes received = 0
2020-05-17 11:33:00.626 *** Data input appears to have stopped
2020-05-17 11:34:00.018 *** Data input appears to have stopped
2020-05-17 11:35:00.317 *** Data input appears to have stopped
2020-05-17 11:36:00.709 *** Data input appears to have stopped
2020-05-17 11:37:00.039 *** Data input appears to have stopped
2020-05-17 11:38:00.479 *** Data input appears to have stopped
Exiting system due to external CTRL-C, or process kill, or shutdown

So, my questions are: -

1. As I am running a Davis Vantage Pro with an early firmware version with LOOP2 disabled I am disregarding any references in the log files to “No ack received in response to LOOP 20” and “!!! VP2 Not woken” is this correct?

2. In Cumulus V1 following clicking on the red indicator within the Error status area, I do recall intermittently see reference to either an FTP issue i.e. not been able to connect or a comment relating to data not being received, however neither of these adversely affect the operation of the programme. In view of the above how does CumulusMX handle the restarting of the programme following lost data, also is the status of “*** Data input appears to have stopped” only relating to external data?

3. What is the meaning of “loop data not received,” status as within some attached logs it is indicating that it can recover if identified? The logs also indicate different bytes counts have been received?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: CumulusMX Freezing

Post by mcrossley »

The " VP2 Not woken" means that CMX sent a <CR> to wake up the serial connection and did not receive anything back. This is a concern!

Also when is sends the LOOP command, it should receive an ACK from the logger, it doesn't. - "No ack received in response to LOOP 20"

We really need to see a log file with debug and data logging switched on to get a better idea. But everything in those logs is pointing to an unreliable connection between the logger and your computer. It could be the USB adapter, cables, the logger itself.
Safety

Post by Safety »

Thank you mcrossley for the feedback, I have enabled both logs and will update you on my findings currently the system appears to running Ok,
Safety

Post by Safety »

Hi mcrossley,

As requested I have attached the full error log you required.

Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Strange, it appears to have hung waiting on a "Waking VP" command, but that command has a timeout so I'm not sure why it did not continue.

I'm also concerned that the comms seem generally a bit flaky.

AND that the last logger entries are from a long time ago (last month), not the most recent. this causing the logger to do a full download each time you start CMX.

What I'd do is a full reset of the console and logger. Start by resetting the logger interval to a new value (say 30 minutes) then change it back to 15 minutes - that will clear out the logger memory. Then power down the console, with batteries out. Leave a minute, then power it all back up. Once it is happy, restart MX.
Safety

Post by Safety »

Thank you for the reply I will give your ideas a go and get back to you.
Safety

Post by Safety »

Hi again,
I tried your suggestions, however the data profile that you have commented on was still seen.
I then removed all cable connections from between the logger and the serial converter, and connected the logger directly to my USB converter, again the same type of data profile was seen. I then removed the logger from my Weather Envoy and fitted it into my Vantage Pro console using a different serial converter with no difference in logging i.e. not error free.

Have you had any further thoughts regarding you comment “Strange, it appears to have hung waiting on a "Waking VP" command, but that command has a timeout so I'm not sure why it did not continue”

Also have you an example of what a typical clean run looks like?

Best Regards
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Can you post the latest log file?

When you set/reset the console logger interval, did you do this via the WeatherLink software, or by issuing commands via the serial port?
Safety

Post by Safety »

Hi
As per your request I have attached the current log file.
I issued the commands via the serial port using a terminal programme.
Please note I am running the logger via a different serial to USB Converter and PC, at this point in time Cumulus MX has not locked up on me.

Best regards
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Better, but the comms still do not look as reliable as they should be. Sorry, but not sure what else to suggest. It is still downloading the whole logger each time cumulus starts - are you sure the console clock is set correctly? How about letting Cumulus set the console clock at least once to get it in sync with your computer?
Safety

Post by Safety »

Thank you for the feedback. I am not at home at the moment how do you sync MX with the console?
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Under station options there is an option to "Synchronise station clock"
Safety

Post by Safety »

Hi
As per your suggestion I have let CumulusMx set the console clock , and have attached the results.

Regards
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

I have no further suggestions about what could be wrong.

You are running an old version of Cumulus, I'd upgrade it to the latest version as it makes support much easier.

What firmware version is your console running? It has never replied to a version request in any of the logs I have seen, which could imply it is pretty old, or its just the unreliable connectivity.
Safety

Post by Safety »

Hi
That you for all your time and suggestions you have put forward.
I will upgrade to the current version, but I would say it time for me to get a new logger as I have had this one since 2002.

Thank you again for all your support