Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Newbie installation issue

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

Rylands
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Windows 10

Newbie installation issue

Post by Rylands »

Firstly, apologies if there is something simple I have overlooked, however I have read everything that I can about installation, but can't get it to work. Steps taken are :

- Downloaded zip file CumulusMXDist3075
- Connected my VP2 (using Serial -> USB connector)
- From zip file, clicked on Cumulux MX and selected RUN
- Error message received stating there is a "system.io.filennotfoundexception" with several files could not be found.

Attempt 2

- From the zip file, selected ExtractAll, and extracted to new directory
- Clicked on CumulusMX (which is now appearing as a Green CW icon, rather than just a general icon file)
- Message received saying station type not set, cumulus running at http://*:8998/ etc.

The installation file seems to indicate that Cumulus should auto start, but it's not for me.

Again, probably something simple, but where am I going wrong?

There is no other software running (eg Weatherlink)
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Re: Newbie installation issue

Post by sfws »

Rylands wrote: Sun 03 May 2020 4:59 am Clicked on CumulusMX (which is now appearing as a Green CW icon, rather than just a general icon file)
Good Start
Rylands wrote: Sun 03 May 2020 4:59 am Message received saying station type not set, cumulus running at http://*:8998/ etc.
Normal message, when first running, it is working correctly.

Steps needed now
You need to open the Admin Interface, that is what the reference to port 8998 is talking about.
In that interface you need to set the station type, that is what the first part of the message is suggesting.

Now you tell us, you are using Windows 10. Therefore, you can see the admin interface on the same PC as you are running MX on.

Open whatever browser you normally use (Edge, Firefox, Chrome etc) and type http://localhost:8998/ and choose the settings tab, you will then see a screen showing weather station types for you to select your VP2 and how it connects to your PC.

Can I suggest you have a read of the instructions at https://cumuluswiki.org/a/Cumulus_MX. They should help you with whatever else you want to do.

Request to support forum administrators (Water01, Freddie) - could we have a link to that specific page added somewhere in one of the headers on each forum page to help newbies?
Rylands

Post by Rylands »

Thanks for the reply. I had read the wiki, but not all of it.

Still struggling however.

From the wiki, I've checked that I have the current version of .Net. Check.

Have run the code netsh http add urlacl url=http://*:8998/ user=\users. Check
Open whatever browser you normally use (Edge, Firefox, Chrome etc) and type http://localhost:8998/ and choose the settings tab, you will then see a screen showing weather station types for you to select your VP2 and how it connects to your PC
Here lies the problem. Windows is returning a temporary DNS error - INET_E_RESOURCE_NOT_FOUND

I've tried in 2 different browsers.

Any further suggestions?
Vegit8
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Win 10

Post by Vegit8 »

Is cumulus running?
You should be able to access the dashboard using the local host address mentioned above.
Your error message seems to indicate that the page could not be found.
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

Are you running CumulusMX on the same computer as the one that you are typing http://localhost:8998/ on or is it on a different computer on your home network?

If it is a different computer then it should be http://Ip address of other computer:8998/.

If it is the same it looks like either your firewall is blocking access to port 8998 or your DNS server (usually your router) is incorrectly set up. Another way to do this is to look up the IP address allocated to your computer by your router (either via the admin interface of your router or in a Command prompt window type in ipconfig /all and then look for wireless connection or ethernet connection). Then use that Ip address i.e. http://192.168.1.10:8998/ to access the admin interface.
David
rogerthn
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1000/GW1003
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS bullseye aarch64

Post by rogerthn »

Try as below from cmd as administrator when (you think) CumulusMX is running

Code: Select all

netstat -an | findstr 8998
Rylands

Post by Rylands »

Thanks to you all - we are finally getting somewhere.

Swapping my current IP address for local host got me into the dashboard, where I could amend my settings.

All worked well, but I had to run an (incorrect) guess as to what my COM Port number was. Oops.

Cumulus now will not allow me to amend any of my station settings, It's coming up with a page headed station settings, but no settings to amend - only a black bar with Cumulux MX b on it.

How do I amend the config, so that it has the correct COM port.

I thought it might be in the config file, but no data seems to have updated to this file.

Thanks again.
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

Close CumulusMX, edit Cumulus.ini to the correct port and then reload CumulusMX. CumulusMX MUST NOT be running when you do this and make sure you use a good file editor such as NotePad++ or NoteTab Pro as the standard notepad doesn't always save the file correctly.
David
Rylands

Post by Rylands »

I feel like I'm running in circles here.

Closed Cumulus, amended and resaved the .ini file as an .ini file.

Back to square 1 - using my current IP address no longer opens cumulus, nor does using localhost. Getting a 192.168.1.19 refused to connect message

Firewall is off.
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

Rylands wrote: Sun 03 May 2020 11:15 am I feel like I'm running in circles here.

Closed Cumulus, amended and resaved the .ini file as an .ini file.

Back to square 1 - using my current IP address no longer opens cumulus, nor does using localhost. Getting a 192.168.1.19 refused to connect message

Firewall is off.
So what does

show?
Freddie
rogerthn

Post by rogerthn »

Where do you have CumulusMX, in what folder full path please ;)
Rylands

Post by Rylands »

freddie:

Does nothing. There is no output when I type that.

rogerthn

Cumulus installed to the My Documents folder...

C:/Users/riteo_000/Documents/Cumulus/CumulusMX

NOTE: Not sure if this has had an impact, but when the COM port was entered incorrectly, I deleted the current installation, and reinstalled to the above directory. That and the amendment of the .ini file are the only changes made.
rogerthn

Post by rogerthn »

OK, possible Windows 10 "program file" folder issue checked.

Should return something if CumulusMX is running and listening on port 8998.
Rylands

Post by Rylands »

Success!!!!

Not exactly sure what I was doing wrong, but started again and the webpage suddenly appeared. I could successfully load my station details, rerun Cumulus, download the data.

Thanks so much for all of your help - much appreciated.

Now to look into the webpage uploading process to my own server - hopefully as easy as the instructions set out.