Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

MQTT

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

MQTT

Post by water01 »

OK I will be the person to ask the dumb question, what does MQTT do for me as far as Cumulus is concerned.

Will it enable me to interface other devices in via extra sensors and even talk to IOT (Internet of Things) devices?
David
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Re: MQTT

Post by freddie »

It enables you to push data to a huge number of sources. It enables you to easily get your data into the cloud and send on to multiple destinations. The possibilities are (almost) limitless. Some background reading (acronym alert!!)
Freddie
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Lots of people base their home automation systems around MQTT, this provides an easy way to feed data into those systems.
Sadgit
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Sadgit »

have I missed something here? Cumulus now supports MQTT?? oh bloody hell and I never thought Cumulus could get any better.. Thank you so much!!! time to make another donation after pay day since I have bought a new station this month :D
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Currently there is no donation system for Cumulus.

Let me know about MQTT, I have only used it off and on a few times myself, so this release is s first cut to get things going.
Sadgit

Post by Sadgit »

I just want to say thanks for the help over the weekend Mark.. MQTT is working perfectly! I cannot wait to get my new EcoWitt in a couple of weeks now, since wind is broken on my Vue!
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Thanks - Everyone else, there are a couple of issues with MQTT in version 3.5.1, please wait for 3.5.2 (soon) for the fixes.
Vossenberg
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Raspbian Bullseye

Post by Vossenberg »

Thanks for releasing the version with MQTT, I am eagerly awaiting version 3.5.2 since I can see it connects, however the messages are empty.
I will use this to get my personal weather in my Home Assistant and it I think it is great that this support has been added so quickly after asking for it! ;-)
Sadgit

Post by Sadgit »

this is exactly what I am doing with mine.. feeding into home assistant. No more crappy hacked Wunderground PWS sensors and the version I tested at the weekend works perfectly!!
Vossenberg

Post by Vossenberg »

Sadgit wrote: Mon 13 Apr 2020 12:36 pm this is exactly what I am doing with mine.. feeding into home assistant. No more crappy hacked Wunderground PWS sensors and the version I tested at the weekend works perfectly!!
Yes, that is exactly what my use case is! :-) Did you change the templates when testing? (And are you using Windows to run your Cumulus or does it run on a Raspberry as well?)
Sadgit

Post by Sadgit »

I changed nothing yet, just tested the new version, need time to play a bit more.. way too many home automation projects on the go at the same time :D :D :D
I run Cumulus on a Pi Zero W and HA Docker on a Intel NUC i3 running ubuntu 18, then my other dockers, mqtt, mysql, influx, etc on my qnap.

Will be taking a look at the docker version on Cumulus at some point as well
Vossenberg

Post by Vossenberg »

Here I have the same, still adding devices to Home Assistant. However getting fed up already with the crashing SD cards.
Which makes it an Expensive hobby, so currently I would like to concentrate everything on an energy efficient NUC.

My Cumulus is running on an USB Harddisk, so that one does not crash, however the Home assistant crashed already twice in a year.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

I switched my important rPi's to boot from small USB SSDs, you can pick up 128GB credit card sized ones pretty cheap now. They should last a long time, and run pretty cool - and silent 🙂
Sadgit

Post by Sadgit »

You can get a celeron nuc on ebay fairly cheaply, my i3 was 2nd hand and works like a dream. I did have a celeron one which also worked perfectly but I made some stupid choices and sold it... Then 6 months later I am back to nucs ;)

I used to run Cumulus from the Nuc but have a zero w in the garage running a mqtt forwarder for a BT plant/soil monitor for my greenhouse irrigation system :D and wanted to make more use of it and make more space in the loft.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

CMX version 3.5.2 is now available which should fix the MQTT issues.