Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

SOLVED BUILD 3070 (Build 3069 - does anyone else have problems with Settings?)

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

SOLVED BUILD 3070 (Build 3069 - does anyone else have problems with Settings?)

Post by sfws »

Essentially, I conducted an experiment with MX, instead of letting it see in the data folder all my files that had come from my Cumulus 1, I started it as if I was new to Cumulus, with no data files and no Cumulus.ini.

MX started ok in the command window, as did the user interface, but I could not set any station settings. For screen shots see viewtopic.php?f=40&t=17885#p139398 where I first posted this problem.

I had had no reply to that post, although it has been viewed several times; so I have started a new topic, repeating my question - has anyone else had this issue, is it a bug with this build, or just nothing working properly for me?

EDIT changed topic name reflecting current status
Last edited by sfws on Tue 24 Mar 2020 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
laulau
Weather Station: WeatherDuino Pro2
Operating System: Win 7

Re: Build 3069 - does anyone else have problems with Settings?

Post by laulau »

No problem for me!
Laurent

freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

No problems with the settings menu here.
Freddie
sfws

Post by sfws »

Thanks for confirming build is okay.

I will carry on trying to discover why I have problems.
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

On looking on mine it sits there for about 5 seconds just showing the Save then opens the main window, so perhaps you just have to wait.
David
Phil23
Weather Station: Davis VP2+ & GW1000 (Standalone)
Operating System: Win10 Pro / rPi Buster

Post by Phil23 »

Long shot,

But maybe an NTFS permissions issue between your user account & the default permissions of the root.
Not sure how they are set in version other than Win Pro Editions, but I am aware of the fact that Win10 Home has restrictions on the Administrator account; disabled by default, and then that issue then compounded by the fact that they have removed the "Local Users" management snap-in from Computer Management.

I read that the Admin account does still exist, but can only be enabled from the command prompt.

I find the simplest test to check permissions is to create a text document in the folder in question.
Then if you can edit, change, save, rename etc, then the permissions are all Ok.

Cheers.
:Now: :Today/Yesterday:

Main Station Davis VP2+ Running Via Win10 Pro.
Secondary Stations, Ecowitt HP2551/GW1000 Via rPi 3 & 4 Running Buster GUI.
:Local Inverell Ecowitt Station: :Remote Ashford Ecowitt Station:
sfws

Post by sfws »

There is no difference between running MX with my ex-Cumulus 1 data or with the data folder empty. In each case, can edit on the extra web files page and the alarms page, it is the station settings, calibration settings, NOAA settings, and the internet settings pages that don't display for ME beyond the 'Save' button.

Obviously, I can view the user interface on my android mobile, although the selection is slightly different, when I get to Station settings, it is the same, nothing more than 'Save' button.
Phil23 wrote: Sun 22 Mar 2020 9:06 pm Win Pro Editions,
Mine is Windows 10 pro.
Phil23 wrote: Sun 22 Mar 2020 9:06 pm permissions issue between your user account & the default permissions of the root
I have tried running MX in my user account and running as administrator.
I have also done "netsh http add urlacl url=http://*:8998/ user=\users" as per the set-up instructions

What else can I try?
water01 wrote: Sun 22 Mar 2020 6:35 pm On looking on mine it sits there for about 5 seconds just showing the Save then opens the main window, so perhaps you just have to wait.
I have left the settings pages that don't work open (trying both Opera and Firefox) for many minutes while I have done other things (like the other posts I have responded to), there is no change. Thanks for the suggestion David, but it is not my impatience!
Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Post by Mapantz »

What browser did you try on Android? I haven't used Opera/Firefox, but all is well on Edge Dev and my Samsung internet browser.

If it's also occurring on a mobile browser, it may be something missing in the interface folder?!
water01

Post by water01 »

Are you running the browser and CumulusMX on the same Windows 10 computer, or like me running CumulsMX on a dedicated machine and the browser on a different Windows 10 computer, connecting to CumulusMX via an internal network?
David
sfws

Post by sfws »

water01 wrote: Sun 22 Mar 2020 10:42 pm Are you running the browser and CumulusMX on the same Windows 10 computer
David, I only have one PC, which runs MX 'engine'. I have viewed 'user interface' using 2 browsers on that PC, and viewed the user interface using a Firefox for Android on my mobile (via wifi to my LAN).
Mapantz wrote: Sun 22 Mar 2020 10:30 pm Edge Dev and my Samsung internet browser.
I don't use Microsoft browsers, I have not forgiven them for IE driving Netscape browser out of use (although Safari, Chrome, Dragon, Firefox and others have been derived from Netscape). My current mobile is Hauwei, not Samsung, but I doubt if trying another browser would make a difference.
Mapantz wrote: Sun 22 Mar 2020 10:30 pm If it's also occurring on a mobile browser, it may be something missing in the interface folder?!
That is more likely, it is what I wondered, which is why I mentioned the build number. I downloaded the whole build as my first venture into MX. My theory (it might be wrong) was that other people may have had an older build that contained whatever I might be missing and just overwritten that with 3069, so that could be why they might not know if a file is missing in 3069?

Does anyone have a definitive list of which files should be in a MX installation? That would let me check mapantz's suggestion of me missing a critical file.
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

does anyone else have problems with Settings?
Things have been a bit hectic for me the last month and my memory not 100% but do recall a couple of times that I tried to make a change in Station Settings and after [Save] got an error message. I then shut down CumulusMX and checked and edited Cumulus.ini, restarted, and then everything was fine and with the changed settings. Not sure if this is similar to sfws issue.

So before sending this reply post I tried a Settings change (Log interval] [Save] and again got the error message: This site says error [object Object]
After pressing [ok] I checked the Cumulus.ini and the change had been logged, and the MXDiags shows: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

So as a second test I tried Internet Settings and changed to FTP logging and the message says: This site says Settings updated.

I am now on v.3.4.5 b.3069 and think it originally happened with this version but not 100% sure as it could have been from my previous v.3.4.0 b.3063 which I updated March 13

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

water01

Post by water01 »

A way of checking that is to expand the 3069 Build in another directory on your computer and then compare your live directory with the newly expanded directory.

My 3069 build is working correctly so the zip does have all the files needed so is a good comparison.

Were you running a previous build and did you copy all the files from build 3069 over the existing installation as Mark said in his release note that there were too many changes to the interface folder to list so copy the lot across.

I was wondering if it was a firewall problem but as the MX program and the browser are on the same machine that is not very likely.

I have unzipped a 3069 build on a different PC with no weather station attached and ran MX as administrator (right click CumulusMX.exe) and selected "Run as Administrator" and it loaded with no device and then I linked in using Firefox (http:/localhost:8998) and it worked perfectly.

Is there anything in the latest log in MXDiags that would give us a clue?
David
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Hi David,
If your reply was directed to me, I don't usually do an all new files update as I have a few things that I have changed (not in \interface though, and am usually pretty good to look for changed files and keep track of updated files in a NOTES file I add to each update. However, likely due to my state of mind at the time, I didn't do the interface folder update as Mark suggested :oops: I've now added it and all looks good and no error message when doing a Settings change. Thanks for the reminder.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

water01

Post by water01 »

Paul it wasn't directed at you, but glad it helped :D , it was my general ramblings trying to figure out what might be wrong with sfws's installation.

I have even loaded all the HTML code of the interface and tried to figure out what could cause and I can't see anything.

That is why I expanded the zip onto another computer on my network that didn't have station connected and it worked great.

I have been able to sort of simulate it by running the stationsettings.html directly so it doesn't know where the json files are, but that doesn't explain why his other screens are working (for instance running todayyest.html directly gives a json error saying it cannot connect to the api which is what I would expect).

That is why I asked if there was anying in the MXDiag log. Very puzzling!!
David
sfws

Post by sfws »

Let me repeat what I have said before (in a different topic), I have documented all the steps I took in the wiki. See https://cumuluswiki.org/a/Cumulus_MX#Wh ... Install_MX
water01 wrote: Mon 23 Mar 2020 12:28 am my general ramblings trying to figure out what might be wrong with sfws's installation
David, I continue to be grateful for your efforts.
water01 wrote: Sun 22 Mar 2020 11:52 pm A way of checking that is to expand the 3069 Build in another directory on your computer and then compare your live directory with the newly expanded directory.
Step 2 in my write up confirms I did what I usually do, I unzip onto a partition I just use for downloads. Step 3 confirms I used an app that verifies the files it copied from my downloads partition to my weather partition (on another disc). I have also manually compared the contents of the interface folder in the two places. The list of files matches, the modification dates match, the sizes match. I definitely have all the files that were in the interface folder in the download, whether that is all the files that were in earlier builds I do not know.
water01 wrote: Mon 23 Mar 2020 12:28 am I have even loaded all the HTML code of the interface and tried to figure out what could cause and I can't see anything.
I have little experience with jSON files, but I have plenty of experience with HTML, and I could not see anything that would make some interface pages work and some not work, but I am not familiar with MX yet and how the different files interact. For the station settings, I accept it must use \CumulusMX\interface\stationsettings.html, \CumulusMX\interface\json\StationOptions.json, and \CumulusMX\interface\json\StationSchema.json, and the CSS files, but I'm a little hazy on how they interact and whether something else is involved, to make the page work how it should rather than failing as it does for me.

In the other topic, I posted details of the dates for the relevant files and my puzzle that those dates don't show file access on the days that I have been testing MX, just dates when Mark was updating them. In other words, all stay showing modification dates like 10 March, and date accessed stays at 11 March. This makes me puzzled as I say.
water01 wrote: Mon 23 Mar 2020 12:28 am I expanded the zip onto another computer on my network that didn't have station connected and it worked great.
This is similar to what I did (again see previous topic) I tried the user interface with the data folder emptied (by renaming folders) and the Cumulus.ini file removed (by renaming). It worked (or did not work) exactly the same. So that proved it is nothing to do with importing data from Cumulus 1.
water01 wrote: Mon 23 Mar 2020 12:28 am That is why I asked if there was anyTHing in the MXDiag log.
Again, the previous topic had my MVdiags file included in it, what I have not done is to turn extra diagnostics on, because I cannot get to that setting within MX.
I have set

Code: Select all

Logging=1
DataLogging=1
in my Cumulus.ini ready for the next time I start MX. I looked at the subsequent MxDiags, but AS I EXPECTED it shows only what is happening in the engine, it has nothing relating to the user interface. Anyway, both those parameters are now back at normal zero.