Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Instructions: Installing CumulusMX on Raspberry Pi

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Re: Instructions: Installing CumulusMX on Raspberry Pi

Post by freddie »

Which build have you installed? Prior to 3044 there was a requirement to have a web socket port open too - I think it was 8002.

Having said that, it's not a good idea to open ports to your interface, as anyone and everyone can access your installation, change your configuration, find/change your passwords, (insert other bad things here)
Freddie
benjy
Weather Station: N96GY Maplin Fine Offset
Operating System: Raspbian OS on Pi3b+

Post by benjy »

freddie wrote: Mon 04 Feb 2019 7:12 pm Which build have you installed? Prior to 3044 there was a requirement to have a web socket port open too - I think it was 8002.

Having said that, it's not a good idea to open ports to your interface, as anyone and everyone can access your installation, change your configuration, find/change your passwords, (insert other bad things here)
Thank you for your prompt reply. I did follow the instructions to open port 8002 too, but I have no idea what it was for? I have set a password on the pi. Can I ask how else to keep my setup secure?

The build I have used is the 3043, is it easy to replace 3043 with 3047 without going through the process above again? And I don't really know what a web socket port is and how to configure it. Thank you for your help.
freddie

Post by freddie »

benjy wrote: Mon 04 Feb 2019 8:23 pmCan I ask how else to keep my setup secure?

The build I have used is the 3043, is it easy to replace 3043 with 3047 without going through the process above again? And I don't really know what a web socket port is and how to configure it. Thank you for your help.
Have a read through the Wiki and it shows you how to set up a web site. I really would discourage exposing your interface to the Internet - just access it from your local network. If follow that advice then you don't need to worry about making the web sockets available.

Best way to upgrade is to unzip the install file and then copy everything across to your installation - but NOT the "web" folder once you have started to create your own web site.

If you don't mind me asking, why did you install 3043? Did you download it a while ago, or was it the first link to a download that you found on this site? Or did you find through Google?

Thanks,
Freddie
benjy

Post by benjy »

freddie wrote: Mon 04 Feb 2019 8:43 pm
benjy wrote: Mon 04 Feb 2019 8:23 pmCan I ask how else to keep my setup secure?

Have a read through the Wiki and it shows you how to set up a web site. I really would discourage exposing your interface to the Internet - just access it from your local network. If follow that advice then you don't need to worry about making the web sockets available.

Best way to upgrade is to unzip the install file and then copy everything across to your installation - but NOT the "web" folder once you have started to create your own web site.

If you don't mind me asking, why did you install 3043? Did you download it a while ago, or was it the first link to a download that you found on this site? Or did you find through Google?

Thanks,
Yes I downloaded it from this forum last month. I will have ago at the upgrade see if the data from the station goes live.
I would have liked to have been able to access the live weather from the station when away from home, but I'm rather concerned now you mention risk exposing it to the web.
Thanks again.
benjy

Post by benjy »

Just checked when I downloaded the 3043 build it was 11 Dec 2018. If that helps. I would have downloaded the newer build but didn't check the build numbers before using the original download. But anybody coming to this page afresh would see the new version at the top.
Last edited by benjy on Mon 04 Feb 2019 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
freddie

Post by freddie »

benjy wrote: Mon 04 Feb 2019 9:30 pmYes I downloaded it from this forum last month. I will have ago at the upgrade see if the data from the station goes live.
I would have liked to have been able to access the live weather from the station when away from home, but I'm rather concerned now you mention risk exposing it to the web.
Build 3046 has been available since the beginning of January. Just curious that you found and downloaded 3043, as we may not be making the latest download visible enough.

You can access the live data by setting up a web site. This could be on the same system as Cumulus, and you could open a port to that. It should be do-able by having a quick read of the Wiki, or perhaps asking other users on here.
Freddie
benjy

Post by benjy »

I thought I'd give it one last look: typed in the IP address and port 8998 into the browser and this time all the parameters are working. Can only put it down to a rather aggressive switch off of the pi without shutting it down last night when I gave up. :oops:

I wasn't really looking forward to wiping the SD card and reinstalling noobs. :groan: (I'm sure there are other ways but not understanding how it all works means back to the start...) :oops:

So grateful to this thread, the display on the N96GY is so not user friendly, being about to see the weather parameters live with a GUI in browser is so much easier. :)

Still wish I could share my data with weather underground users, and be able to see my station while away. These fine offset stations are the best/cheapest stations I have ever owned that are close to being spot on. If anyone on the forum doesn't mind helping a newbie in the right direction with connecting up to weather underground without leaving my network open to being hacked I'd be delighted. I'm sure there would be others asking the same questions. Cheers.
dazza1223
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus
Operating System: Raspberry pi 4 (4gb)

Post by dazza1223 »

sorry to jump in..... but how are you starting CumulusMX on Raspberry Pi is it like this

sudo mono CumulusMX.exe -port 8998 ?

then http://ip:8998
Have fun and keep learning

dazza :D

https://www.davisworthing.co.uk

freddie

Post by freddie »

benjy wrote: Mon 04 Feb 2019 10:24 pmI thought I'd give it one last look: typed in the IP address and port 8998 into the browser and this time all the parameters are working.
Excellent news :-)
benjy wrote: Mon 04 Feb 2019 10:24 pmStill wish I could share my data with weather underground users, and be able to see my station while away.
That's the sort of thing that Cumulus is made for. On your interface, go to the Settings menu, then the Internet Settings submenu. Scroll down to the Weather Underground section and enter your WU details there. Then Cumulus will push your data to WU. No security risk, no ports to open.
Freddie
benjy

Post by benjy »

freddie wrote: Mon 04 Feb 2019 10:53 pm
benjy wrote: Mon 04 Feb 2019 10:24 pmI thought I'd give it one last look: typed in the IP address and port 8998 into the browser and this time all the parameters are working.
Excellent news :-)
benjy wrote: Mon 04 Feb 2019 10:24 pmStill wish I could share my data with weather underground users, and be able to see my station while away.
That's the sort of thing that Cumulus is made for. On your interface, go to the Settings menu, then the Internet Settings submenu. Scroll down to the Weather Underground section and enter your WU details there. Then Cumulus will push your data to WU. No security risk, no ports to open.
Thanks Freddie. I'm going to give it ago now, already have a weather underground account setup, I'll give it a go! Thanks again for all your help.
benjy

Post by benjy »

All been going well both viewing data on Cumulus MX on my home network viewing through browser and pushing out to weather underground until a few days ago when it just stopped.

I rebooted the pi, still no joy, then pulled out the USB cable and after about 10 mins it was all working again. Today same thing has happened but no joy so far with getting data back.

All the Cumulus MX weather parameters read as --.-- after pulling the USB and refreshing the browser it had changed from --.--c to 0.0c for temp and 0's for all other parameters but still no actual readings. Does anyone know what could be causing it?
freddie

Post by freddie »

Could you please zip up your MXDiags folder and post it on here.
Freddie
benjy

Post by benjy »

Thanks Freddie
Last edited by benjy on Sun 17 Feb 2019 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
freddie

Post by freddie »

Looks as if Cumulus is connecting to your station, but can't download data. Your station may need resetting. If you are going to perform a reset, I would suggest upgrading to MX build 3047 too, as that contains fixes for Fine Offset stations.
Freddie
benjy

Post by benjy »

Thanks Freddie. To replace the Cumulus version without my no-doubt unnecessary overkill method of stripping everything off the pi and reinstalling noobs from scratch is there a way of just using a command to update cumulus. :oops: Don't laugh. :oops: :lol: Got myself another pi to learn some coding and how to use it correctly.