Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Ironing out some problems

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

wishmeluck
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Raspberry Pi

Ironing out some problems

Post by wishmeluck »

So i just went through the tutorial, Instructions: Installing CumulusMX on Raspberry Pi and I'm pretty happy with the results.

I'm not sure if I misunderstand the concept so please bear with me. I start Putty and log into the pi, start Cumulus, data is logged, when the pc gets turned off I lose connection. I was under the impression that I use my pc to control the pi and once I started logging data on the pi I could turn the pc off and pi would continue to log data.

I must be missing a step or something. Appreciate your help.
billy
Weather Station: WLL / Davis VP2+
Operating System: RPi bullseye

Re: Ironing out some problems

Post by billy »

wishmeluck wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 1:01 am I could turn the pc off and pi would continue to log data

How do you check that MX isn't running and logging data? Via the dashboard from another pc?
wishmeluck

Post by wishmeluck »

billy wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 2:55 am
wishmeluck wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 1:01 am I could turn the pc off and pi would continue to log data

How do you check that MX isn't running and logging data? Via the dashboard from another pc?
Either from my phone or when I check on the PC and check the dashboard there'll be a flat line in the data.
billy

Post by billy »

Anything in the diag file that indicates why it has stopped?
wishmeluck

Post by wishmeluck »

billy wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 4:16 am Anything in the diag file that indicates why it has stopped?
I don't know how to access this, can you assist with it please?
billy

Post by billy »

In the folder mxdiags.
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

I assume you are using SSH to log into your PI via Putty.

To leave processes running you have started using SSH you type Ctrl+A then Ctrl+D.

This should detach your screen but leave the processes running.
David
ExperiMentor
Weather Station: Fine Offset & Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10; Raspbian Buster

Post by ExperiMentor »

wishmeluck wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 1:01 am So i just went through the tutorial, Instructions: Installing CumulusMX on Raspberry Pi and I'm pretty happy with the results.

I'm not sure if I misunderstand the concept so please bear with me. I start Putty and log into the pi, start Cumulus, data is logged, when the pc gets turned off I lose connection. I was under the impression that I use my pc to control the pi and once I started logging data on the pi I could turn the pc off and pi would continue to log data.

I must be missing a step or something. Appreciate your help.
Your understanding is correct. But that behaviour assumes you continue with my tutorial to the end and make the RPi automatically run Cumulus in the background. If you start Cumulus as a foreground task (ie, from the command prompt via SSH from Putty), the Cumulus process will stop when you disconnect Putty (either using the exit commend or closing the PC window).

water01 has suggested a different method - I have never used that and cannot verify that it will work (though it should - just may be confusing and will mean your setup no longer matches the tutorial)
water01 wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 7:39 am To leave processes running you have started using SSH you type Ctrl+A then Ctrl+D.
wishmeluck

Post by wishmeluck »

ExperiMentor wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 8:29 am Your understanding is correct. But that behaviour assumes you continue with my tutorial to the end and make the RPi automatically run Cumulus in the background. If you start Cumulus as a foreground task (ie, from the command prompt via SSH from Putty), the Cumulus process will stop when you disconnect Putty (either using the exit commend or closing the PC window).
Thanks for this, I've just attempted to finish the tutorial to the end. Hopefully I've done it correctly. As a completely new Linux user I have to say I feel quite intimidated that I'm going to do something catastrophically wrong that I won't be able to fix so thanks for the help again.

So after completing the tutorial, when I shut down the windows pc that I've been communicating via PuTTy with will keep the pi/WWL/Cumulus Mx connection intact?

Also one thing of interest to note, whenever I use the command

Code: Select all

sudo reboot
I get "PuTTy fatal error" remote side unexpectedly closed network connection". Is this because Pi reboots then I have to log in again via PuTTy to regain connectivity?
malkie
Weather Station: Davis Vision-Vue
Operating System: Raspbian Jessie

Post by malkie »

wishmeluck wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 4:25 pm Also one thing of interest to note, whenever I use the command

Code: Select all

sudo reboot
I get "PuTTy fatal error" remote side unexpectedly closed network connection". Is this because Pi reboots then I have to log in again via PuTTy to regain connectivity?
The Pi has shut down/rebooted so has closed the connection, Putty is telling you this in a less than coherent way... :D
Malcolm
North Herts, UK
http://elm30net.ddns.net
CumulusMX on Raspberry Pi4 B+ 2GB, running on Raspbian Buster booting from USB SSD
from a Davis Vantage Vue with VP2 ISS.
wishmeluck

Post by wishmeluck »

Well I finished if the tutorial and about 4 hours later I list connection again. If anyone could give me the steps to pull the logs for info as to what happened that would be appreciated.

Or if you have a better idea that would be great also.
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

If you are talking about the CumulusMx log they can be found in the MXDiags folder. They will be in date and time order so looking at the latest one will give you the info you want.

Did you try logging into the Pi with Putty, starting CumulsMX and then typing Ctrl+A then Ctrl+D to disconnect from the process and leave it running?
David
wishmeluck

Post by wishmeluck »

water01 wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 9:06 pm If you are talking about the CumulusMx log they can be found in the MXDiags folder. They will be in date and time order so looking at the latest one will give you the info you want.

Did you try logging into the Pi with Putty, starting CumulsMX and then typing Ctrl+A then Ctrl+D to disconnect from the process and leave it running?
Haven't tried that yet, I guess I just wanted to stick to the tutorial but maybe I'll give it a try. Thanks
wishmeluck

Post by wishmeluck »

water01 wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 9:06 pmDid you try logging into the Pi with Putty, starting CumulsMX and then typing Ctrl+A then Ctrl+D to disconnect from the process and leave it running?
Well this didn't work either unfortunately.
Edit: I just realized I wasn't running the latest version of Cumulus. Somehow I installed 3064, is there any way this could be the cause?
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

No, I think the Ctrl-A, Ctrl-D combination is talking about using "Screen" - which is what I use.

You first must install screen - https://raspi.tv/2012/using-screen-with ... sions-open

You start a new screen session, start Cumulus in the normal way, then use Ctrl-A, Ctrl-D to disconnect from the Cumulus session. You can then close your SSH session.

If you want to reconnect, establish a new SSH session, type screen -r and you will Cumulus back on your putty session.