Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Ironing out some problems

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

wishmeluck
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Raspberry Pi

Re: Ironing out some problems

Post by wishmeluck »

Ok, amateur hour here back again.

Lately Cumulus has been lagging with station updates and I've not updated since the original install. I was going to take a look at my log files out of curiosity but for some reason my pi password is no longer working.

Am I at the point where the only thing I can do is to reinstall the whole thing again and just update to the latest version?

Any ideas appreciated.
Cheers and happy holidays to all!
rogerthn
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1000/GW1003
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS bullseye aarch64

Post by rogerthn »

wishmeluck wrote: Sun 27 Dec 2020 7:42 pm Ok, amateur hour here back again.

Lately Cumulus has been lagging with station updates and I've not updated since the original install. I was going to take a look at my log files out of curiosity but for some reason my pi password is no longer working.

Am I at the point where the only thing I can do is to reinstall the whole thing again and just update to the latest version?

Any ideas appreciated.
Cheers and happy holidays to all!
Google is your friend, e.g. https://howtoraspberrypi.com/recover-pa ... pberry-pi/
Cortmalaw
Weather Station: Davis
Operating System: Raspbian

Post by Cortmalaw »

Rather than just wiping it, you might try getting the weather data off it first. If you used FileZilla to transfer files, it will likely have remembered the password for you.

You also might try this before the (rather complex, so error prone?) instructions above for password recovery.
wishmeluck

Post by wishmeluck »

Cortmalaw wrote: Tue 29 Dec 2020 12:55 am Rather than just wiping it, you might try getting the weather data off it first. If you used FileZilla to transfer files, it will likely have remembered the password for you.

You also might try this before the (rather complex, so error prone?) instructions above for password recovery.
Great idea, that was it! It wasn't my password that I was entering incorrectly but I took your advice and tried FileZilla and noticed the login name I was attempting to use with PuTTY was incorrect.

Thanks so much for your idea and assistance with this! I already felt like a dork but you made it slightly less painful for me. :D
wishmeluck

Post by wishmeluck »

So I've just done an update to the latest version of CMX and everything seemed to work out ok eventually. I used this method: https://cumuluswiki.org/a/Raspberry_Pi_Image

I backed up my config file and data which all restored properly it seems however when I go to the records page it seems like it's only using the data from the time I did my update and restore. On the graph page the data goes back to when I originally set up CMX.

Is there anything I can do so that the records take into account all historical data I've collected?
LindaFNM
Weather Station: Ecowitt

Post by LindaFNM »

Have you changed the date in the CumulusMX.ini file? If you are using the date that you newly installed Cumulus it won’t show your history so check this. Open the file and look for the StartDate= line then change it to the date your records started. You may need to restart Cumulus to make this amendment take effect. Otherwise, hopefully someone with more experience can help, I’m a bit new to all this myself! It’s worth it in the end though 😁.
wishmeluck

Post by wishmeluck »

LindaFNM wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 7:49 am Have you changed the date in the CumulusMX.ini file? If you are using the date that you newly installed Cumulus it won’t show your history so check this. Open the file and look for the StartDate= line then change it to the date your records started. You may need to restart Cumulus to make this amendment take effect. Otherwise, hopefully someone with more experience can help, I’m a bit new to all this myself! It’s worth it in the end though 😁.
Thanks for the reply Linda, unfortunately it didn't work though. Appreciate the contribution though.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

The records come from the various ini files in your /data folder (year.ini, alltime.ini etc). So it sounds like these files were not copied over correctly. You must copy them with Cumulus stopped.
wishmeluck

Post by wishmeluck »

mcrossley wrote: Mon 22 Mar 2021 9:13 am The records come from the various ini files in your /data folder (year.ini, alltime.ini etc). So it sounds like these files were not copied over correctly. You must copy them with Cumulus stopped.
Ok, I've stopped Cumulus, copied over the config file with the amended start date, rebooted the pi and it's still not working for me. Is there something else that may be glaringly obvious to everyone else but me? I'm really quite incompetent with Linux and Rpi so that's not really much of a stretch.

I really appreciate any other ideas.
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

AS Mark says you have to copy all the other files he mentions not just the config file (by which I assume you mean Cumulus.ini).
David
wishmeluck

Post by wishmeluck »

water01 wrote: Tue 23 Mar 2021 12:09 am AS Mark says you have to copy all the other files he mentions not just the config file (by which I assume you mean Cumulus.ini).
So the files I backed up and copied back after the update were Cumulus.ini, data and Reports. Have I missed something then?
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Can you post your alltime.ini file please.
wishmeluck

Post by wishmeluck »

mcrossley wrote: Tue 23 Mar 2021 10:13 am Can you post your alltime.ini file please.
Thanks for looking Mark.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

That alltime.ini only has dates from March this year, so it hasn't come from your previous install?
wishmeluck

Post by wishmeluck »

mcrossley wrote: Wed 24 Mar 2021 11:01 am That alltime.ini only has dates from March this year, so it hasn't come from your previous install?
Thanks Mark, that fixed my issue!

On a side note, out of curiosity, I removed the data folder again and transferred my backed up data. The same issue happened again even though my alltime.ini file was correct. For some reason I had to transfer it separately after the data folder for it to properly register for some reason.

Anyhow thanks again, I learned a lot from that experience.