Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Solar sensor settings

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

Vegit8
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Win 10

Solar sensor settings

Post by Vegit8 »

Hi
Have just added a Davis Solar sensor (6450).
The first day we had any real sun it gave me readings that were odd.
The calculated max Solar energy at the time was 441W/m2 but the sensor was recording 559, which seems somewhat high.

I used the default settings in MX.

I have now changed to BRAS as the calculation method, all other settings are as default.

Not really had any decent sunshine since to see which is better.

[Update] 12:35
OOh a sudden burst of sunshine.. now I have 645 of 454 (142%) Hmm

What settings do others use?
archae86
Weather Station: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 7

Wait for some cloudless hours

Post by archae86 »

A lot of us got surprised when we first looked at solar sensor data to see spikes well above the "possible" line. When it is spiky, the issue is reflections from clouds. And, yes, the sensor really does get radiance well above what the sun can provide undisturbed because it is seeing not only the direct path it is entitled to, but some share for nearby locations that came to your spot instead.

So before even thinking of calibrating (again), wait for several hours of a smooth curve from nearly cloudless conditions.

Here in Albuquerque, the built-in algorithm gets the summer/winter difference a bit wrong, so I prefer to calibrate so that a cloudless stretch near either equinox matches the "theoretical Max" curve. Looking at the Solar sections of Station Settings in my copy of classic Cumulus, I find that I have the trans factor set to 0.8. That is probably not the default. It works well here in Albuquerque, New Mexico--probably not right for lots of other places. When I say it "works well", I'm accepting that near winter solstice a cloudless day beats the theoretical maximum by a bit less than 10%, while a cloudless day near summer solstice fall short by just less than 10%.

Two other factors influence your hours of sunlight per day reporting (but not the actual watts/meter value at any moment): I have mine set to Sun Threashold: 75%, and Sun Min: 20 watts per square meter.

The reflection spikes also give UV peaks well above the cloudless level.
My cumulus generated weather site is at http://pastoll.info/weather
Vegit8
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Win 10

Re: Solar sensor settings

Post by Vegit8 »

Ah... Alberquerque

I feel I know it so well after 5 seasons of Breaking bad and now Better Call Saul

Thanks for your views on my issue.
Waiting for the sun to shine in a grey and damp UK