Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Standing at the precipice...

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

Intheswamp
Weather Station: Davis VP2+
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Standing at the precipice...

Post by Intheswamp »

It doesn't seem like it but I set up my little weather station 6-1/2 years ago on a little $75 Dell D610 that I bought off of eBay. Running a Davis VP2 (eventually a "Plus" model...stupid me ended up buying the "plus" later on...$$$).

Anyhow, I selected Cumulus for my software and I've been running version 1.9.4-b1079 for most of that time. It's solid. It's stable. It's a rock. But, it may be time to knock the dust off of my brain cells and try to get Cumulus MX up and running. I'm no brain, no coder, and I do believe I've forgotten so much of what was involved in getting things up and running that I'm not sure I could do it again, but here's hoping that I don't have to rebuild it! ;)

In reading the installation instructions it *seems* pretty straight forward. Unzip the CumulusMX file into the chosen directory and then copy the pertinent files from the current version 1....data, configs, cumulus.ini, etc.,. I'm sure there's some (a lot?) tweaking to be done. But, will the simple unzipping and copying over of files get it up and running. I'd like to test drive it first and then let MX move over permanently in the driver's seat.

Do I have a basic (really basic, eh?<grin>) idea of what to do?

Thanks!
Ed
Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4 Build 1079
WU - KALRUTLE2 // PWS - BEEWEATHER // CWOP - EW2927 // Weather-Cam
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Standing at the precipice...

Post by mcrossley »

That's basically it.

There are some caveats though ;)

If you are copy over Cumulus.ini and you want to run it on Linux, has to be called that - with a capital "C"

You have to change the [FTP Site] section name to [FTP site] with 'site' in lower case.

You have to change the NOAA report file name formats to match the new date/time format strings in MX.

You have to either run CMX "as administrator" OR run the "netsh http add ...." command once (as administrator)
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

Your profile (still) shows your Operating System as Windows XP. AFAIK Cumulus MX (still) can't run under XP?

Cheers, Alan.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Good spot - no it will not run on XP, only Windows 7 or later.
Intheswamp

Post by Intheswamp »

Thanks to both of you for helping out on this. Yep, running XP on that little ol' computer...the operating system has been as solid as Cumulus has. I'm not even sure the computer could run WIN7...probably could, though. But, that opens up another can of worms. Maybe I'll just ride v1 for a while longer. A few years ago I bought a "newer" Dell D630(?) and was planning on moving BeeWeather to it. It never happened so I might use it for a Manhattan Project computer and see if I can get Win7 and MX running on it...and go from there. Got too many irons in the fire right now, but I'll be hollering back when I get into it. Thanks for saving me a hassle of me trying to figure out why MX wouldn't load on my XP machine...probably would've made a good silent black-and-white movie, ala' Charlie Chaplin style. :bash: :lol:

Happy Thanksgiving!
Ed
Davis VP2, v3.12
Herbaldew
Weather Station: VP2+
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS (64-bit)

Post by Herbaldew »

Before you spend any $$$ on it (like buying a Win 7 license) - I would recommend researching Raspberry Pi if you haven't already. Cheap, tiny, silent and has been rock solid for me.
Intheswamp

Post by Intheswamp »

I'm looked at the Raspberry Pi but still don't know enough about setting it up to comfortable going that route. Not ruling a Pi out, though.

Another thought would be to load Linux on the laptop...I've ran Mint before and it seems very user friendly.
Davis VP2, v3.12