Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Wind Run

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

92merc
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Windows 11 Pro

Wind Run

Post by 92merc »

New to CumulusMX. Came over from VWS. One of the numbers I liked looking at was Wind Run in VWS. I can see on the Records page where I can see High Wind run for the month. Is there anywhere I can pull up the wind run numbers for a particular day? Same for a month?

I'm still working on my first full month of data. So there isn't a lot there yet. But things can get awful windy here. Today in particular. I just had 61 mph gust. 514 miles showing for today so far. I still have 6 hours to go. 430 miles yesterday.
jlmr731
Weather Station: Davis vantage pro 2
Operating System: Debian

Re: Wind Run

Post by jlmr731 »

All i see is wind run for the day or highest day for month/year.
You can go here for web tags but not sure thats will help
http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/Webtags

You can look at the dayfile that records total wind run for the day, and is updated at midnight so it will show totals for every day. To get a total for a month you will have to do a little calculation to get that.
If you can add cumulus data to a database then it would be easier to manipulate all the data for your needs.

Hopefully someone may have a better answer for you but thats all i see.
92merc

Post by 92merc »

I am putting my data to my GoDaddy MySQL database. But I'm not a programmer to be able to do anything with the data.
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

The daily windrun total is included in the dayfile.txt. I upload dayfile.txt to my webserver each day after midnight. I then also use ImportCumulusFile.php to upload the dayfile into my GoDaddy MySQL. There are several scripts that can display the dayfile.txt data i.e. http://www.komokaweather.com/weather/be ... maryCU.php and the MySQL http://www.komokaweather.com/mysql/dayf ... le-sql.php and script here https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... er#p122723

Enjoy,

Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

92merc

Post by 92merc »

Thanks. I'll look into that.

BTW, I finished up yesterday with 730.4 miles of wind run. Highest gust was 61 mph, highest wind speed 44 mph. So it was a bit breezy.

I don't have access to my old VWS records. But If this wasn't the highest wind run for a day, it was top 3 for sure.
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Had very high wind gust this morning and afternoon, lost power, UPS ran out. I just got back home and had to restart most of my programs, etc. - new all time record gust of 85.7 kmh (not as high as many other places get but for me here and especially where the station is located that breaks the previous record of 79.1 kmh of November 2015 - since July 2008) but my wind run so far today is only 178.4 km.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

VTHokie74
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Rasbian

Post by VTHokie74 »

My record wind run was 83.2 miles on a day in February 2016. Wind run is a pretty neat statistic that answers the question of how windy it was today.
Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2/CumulusMX/Raspberry Pi 3
DaveD
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro-2
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Post by DaveD »

I know this thread is a bit old, but it appears to be the best place to ask this question.

From what I can tell here, Wind Run appears to be the total distance over 24 hours. But is that exactly right? Does it reset at midnight or is it a moving total over the last 24 hours? The Cumulus Wiki has an entry for it, but does not state the time.

Not that my question is directly related to this, but I am having trouble with my Davis VP 2 Anemometer Vane on this very windy day--it took down a large tree on my lot this morning when some of the worst wind was occurring, and while diagnosing the Davis wind direction problem I started really noticing the Wind Run numbers on the Wind Rose gauge for the first time. I know that it is distance over time, but I'm not sure of the time.

Thanks.
Dave Dalton
Davis Vantage Pro-2, additional Vantage Vue console, WU PWS KVAOILVI2
Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Post by Mapantz »

As it's a measurement of how much wind has passed a given point in a period of time, it can be any duration you want it to be. For most, it will always be 24 hours, whether your station has a rollover time from midnight to midnight or 9am to 9am. :)
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

Windrun is from station rollover to station rollover ie. for 'today' is a measurement from station rollover upto this time.
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
DaveD
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro-2
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Post by DaveD »

Thank you. What I was really looking for is just what the "period of time" is on the Cumulus MX reports. I presume it is 24 hours, and my rollover is at midnight. Since the Cumulus MX gauges appear to be non-configurable, I am taking them as presented. But Mapantz, you state that it can be any duration that I want it to be. Is that the case with the Cumulus MX displays? If these displays can generally be easily modified, please point me to the information on how to do that.
Dave Dalton
Davis Vantage Pro-2, additional Vantage Vue console, WU PWS KVAOILVI2