Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Display Realtime.txt On Small OLED or TFT?

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

randy52644
Weather Station: Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Jessie & CumulusMX

Display Realtime.txt On Small OLED or TFT?

Post by randy52644 »

I'm looking for some direction to use the realtime.txt file to display just of few weather parameters on a small OLED or TFT.
My idea is to use a wifi device like a ESP32 or similar with an attached small display for temp, humidity, windchill, etc.
Realtime.txt is currently pushed out to my local NAS every 20 seconds or so. I have already parsed this file using Node Red for display via html displays. But now I'd like to use a small portable self contained microprocessor design.
I've seen similar projects but they're all cloud based using weather data from a source other than my own weather station.
dazza1223
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus
Operating System: Raspberry pi 4 (4gb)

Re: Display Realtime.txt On Small OLED or TFT?

Post by dazza1223 »

take a look here this what i use on my pi 4 with small TFT

https://github.com/philpugh1951/WeatherClock
Have fun and keep learning

dazza :D

https://www.davisworthing.co.uk

randy52644

Post by randy52644 »

Well that's pretty close to what I had in mind. However instead of using a microcomputer like a RPi that has to boot and run an OS, I wanted to use a microcontroller. But if I don't find something like that, your application would work.
SamiS
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551 & GW1100
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS

Post by SamiS »

Finnish computer magazine Mikrobitti created a battery powered bus schedule display to fridge door with Wemos D1 mini and Waveshare ePaper-display. It was esp8266 based, and used ArduinoJSON, GxEPD and Adafruit GFX. That project can probably be converted to show any http-accessible json data (like the one provided by cumulusmx) easily. It has been almost 4 years since the article, so probably there are better solutions nowdays, but maybe this gives some ideas. Unfortunately the article is not freely available.
randy52644

Post by randy52644 »

I've seen similar articles over the years. But since I am not a coder, I have to rely on others to do the heavy lifting. I can copy and paste but coming up with the actual how to do it code is beyond my current capabilities.
SamiS
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551 & GW1100
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS

Post by SamiS »

I have the very same problem of not being a coder. But for example in this case basically ”all” you need to change in the code is the http url of the json data file to be retrieved, and change the field names that will be printed on the screen to match the cumulus data. So at least in theory it should be doable without almost any coding skills. Haven’t tried yet though. But of course there is the possibility of the devil being in the details. :?
randy52644

Post by randy52644 »

It's not as easy as it sounds :?
I spent most of today just trying to adapt some Arduino code to pull the realtime.txt file into the software. I got no where fast. I've googled this subject for weeks and most not be using the correct search terms....nothing even close. Goggle usually will get me started but this project is hitting a brick wall.