Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Please donate.

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Please donate.

Post by steve »

I've been trying to understand why the majority of Cumulus users haven't donated. A number of people have contributed by producing add-ons, and that's absolutely fine. A few people have told me they can't afford to donate at the moment. I've had about 50 donations, a couple of people have given as much as £50; the smallest donation was £3; a typical donation is £10-£15. I don't expect people to give a lot, it would be nice if everyone gave a little. Of course, it's hard to know how many users there are. But there are now 210 sites on the user map, 410 registered users on the forum, and 50 downloads of Cumulus every day.

Most of the donations I've had so far have gone on the cost of web hosting, and repairing my computer. I think these are both fair uses of the money. But now I would like to buy some nice, professional WPF and Silverlight software components (gauges, charts etc etc) for Cumulus 2. These are expensive. There is currently about £150 in the donation pot, but the components cost many more times that. I almost got my credit card out and bought them anyway, but I can't help but think about how unfair it is that I and those who have donated should subsidise everyone else.

Anyway, according to the Donation Coder web site:

"If you want donations - you're going to have to ask. It's a humbling thing, but if you don't ask, and ask seriously, people won't give."

So this is me, humbling myself, and asking seriously: If you use Cumulus and want to see it continue to be developed, please donate.

If it's using Paypal that's stopping anyone donating, please get in touch with me and I'll give you my address so you can send a cheque or whatever.
Steve
philcdav
Weather Station: MyDEL WX2008 Mk2 Fine Offset
Operating System: XP and W7

Re: Please donate.

Post by philcdav »

Hi Steve. some cash on way, hope it helps.

Am retired now so cash tighter than before !

I can see why you are having issues with raising funds. Folk are tight, me included. But it does bug me that we wont pay for good stuff, especially when we are running £500 PCs !!!!

Anyway, the answer may be fairly simple, if not the way you want to go. You will probably need to apply a fee for registration. A value around £15 would be about right. This is much lower than 'proffessional' software but low enough to NOT put folk off.

I must admit to actually buying very little software. It needs to be exceptional and i have found very little in that category. MixW and Audacity comw to mind apart from Windows OS of course.

Anyway, good luck and remember - "you only need whatt you need" !

Regards - Phil
Phil - G0DOR
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Thanks Phil - again!

I suppose I could make it into proper shareware, but it seems such a hassle. I was happy to give it away anyway when I'd written it for my own use, but then when most of my effort was in supporting stations I don't own, and adding facilities I don't use, it seemed fair to ask for donations. I guess I was naive to think that everyone who used it would give whatever they could afford. It seems most people are happy to pay for hardware but not software.

Steve
bnwrx
Weather Station: Ambient WS2095 (Fine/Offset)
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by bnwrx »

Am echoing "philcdav". Sorry I did not do this sooner. Your effort in support of this software is tremendous, and can only imagine the hours of your day spent in this capacity. All who use the software and the forum think about the "what if" Cumulus was not available. Thank you and good luck!!!
aadal
Weather Station: WH 1080

Post by aadal »

Hi Steve
Donation from me before the weekend, and again thanks for great! software and support.

:D
  • Windows Vista

M1DUL
Weather Station: Vantage Pro2 Plus Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows 11 Pro Version

Post by M1DUL »

Hi Steve
Donation from me again thanks for great! software and support.
Mike

Weather Station : Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus Daytime Far's
Cumulus MX v.3.28.6 build 3283
https://branksomeweather.co.uk/index.htm
bruce45
Weather Station: wh1081
Operating System: windows 10

Post by bruce45 »

sent what i can afford and keep up the good work.
dont run this as a web site but maybe oneday
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

Hi Steve,

24 hours ago I downloaded Cumulus and was immediately impressed with the clean look of the interface. I've made a donation to your fund tonight which I hope helps you continue development of this fine product.

Earlier tonight I downloaded and installed WD and was taken aback at its complexity and busy interface. 'Busy' is being complimentary! ;) It won't be staying.

I'll put a good word in on UKWeatherWorld for Cumulus. Nice to see home-grown talent producing fine software. :D

Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

I have alway been intending to donate, as I'm sure many others have. This post is just the encouragement I needed. I'm sure others will also follow.

I have now donated, thanks. Keep up the good work.

Stuart.
ioxfords16
Weather Station: Watson W-8681
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Post by ioxfords16 »

steve wrote:So this is me, humbling myself, and asking seriously: If you use Cumulus and want to see it continue to be developed, please donate.
Hi Steve

Please do not see it as humbling yourself. You have created a great piece of software, valued by many, and you have given us all a timely reminder to recognise that value.

Not only is the product great, but you have always be right there in responding to queries and issues.

Thank you for the timely reminder. Paypal works great, by the way, not an inhibitor for me

Now just to get that little wrinkle I have with Windows 7 ironed out ;)

Cheers
Stef
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Thank you to every one who has donated so far! The current 'pot' is now quite a bit bigger, and I'm now happy to go ahead and buy the needed components. I'll still need to put several hundred pounds in myself, but I'm sure it will be worth it :)

I should have the Silverlight gauges available again within a few days, and I'll try to make some more progress with Cumulus 2.

Steve
Steve
meteotortosa
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by meteotortosa »

Donation from me. Good job !!!
Weather in Tortosa (NE Spain), updated every 15'
Image Image
keithatrochdale
Weather Station: WH1080PC
Operating System: XP

Post by keithatrochdale »

There are over 300 users who have posted more than once on this site, if each donated just £5 it would allow Steve to develop this great software more easily.............

........makes you think!

Go on, hit the PayPal button now!

(I am not connected with Steve, just a grateful user)
Nothing is foolproof, to a sufficiently talented fool . . .

WH1080PC Rochdale UK, 171m
Cold1
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: W7

Post by Cold1 »

Donation sent......

Thanks, Steve for your time and effort spent developing Cumulus. A great piece of work! :)

Cold1
geoffw
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by geoffw »

Donation sent - as promised!

Keep up the good work.
Geoff