Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

UPS use, Close on suspend, and hibernation

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
Mark_A
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Vue console
Operating System: Win 10 64 bit and Ubuntu

UPS use, Close on suspend, and hibernation

Post by Mark_A »

Hello,

I'm planning the purchase of a UPS system to handle power outages, and my fairly new weather station and Cumulus were an additional motivator for that, especially since most of our power outages here are during the most interesting weather.

In researching the various UPS software it looks like most of those systems hibernate the computer on power fail (a no-no for Cumulus). Cumulus also has the "Close on suspend" option. Are most folks here with a UPS setting it up this way (and how well is that working?), or are there other solutions to gracefully shut down Cumulus after the UPS has detected a power failure?

I'm looking at a CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD model in particular.
My system: Dell Precision desktop running Windows 7 / 64

Thanks.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: UPS use, Close on suspend, and hibernation

Post by steve »

I have two UPSs, and they both have software which shuts down the PC after a configurable period (or backup power remaining). So as long as you don't have the option to 'confirm shutdown' set, that works fine. If you really had to use the 'close on suspend' option, then as long as you didn't have 'confirm shutdown' set, you would probably be OK, it's possibly just not quite as reliable as having software which does a tidy shutdown.
Steve
Charlie
Weather Station: 1wire-Cumulus & Fine Offset
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Charlie »

I also have two UPS from two different companies, and neither has the option to do anything but shutdown. Are you absolutely sure the unit you are looking at does a hibernate? Attempting a hibernate or suspend on one of my machines tends to get the RAID array out of sync, so it's probably just as well.

The device you referenced is a pure sine wave unit, which is very nice, but overkill for a PC. Your computer will be just as happy with a modified sine wave device at about 1/2 the cost.
Mark_A

Post by Mark_A »

Thanks Guys. In looking more at the documentation for these units (it's not as clear as it could be), it appears that hibernation is their recommended mode, and for the CyberPower software, is the default unless hibernation is not enabled on the host computer (it's not currently enabled on mine). And the way they word this (even the APC UPS software documentation I found reads this way), they mention possible data loss if one doesn't go the hibernation route. Perhaps if one has a lot of unsaved open files with software that can't handle a shutdown.

Apparently this CyberPower unit is also compatible with their "business" version of their software which is pretty clear about being able to select either shutdown or hibernate.

As far as the pure sine wave... My Dell workstation has one of those Active Power Factor Correction (APFC / PFC) power supplies and a pure sine wave unit is specified in the Dell documents for my system. I've read some accounts of these PFC power supplies not working at all with a non-pure sine wave unit (same as simply pulling the plug after switching to battery). And these CyberPower units with pure sine wave are only about a 20% increase over their simulated sine wave models.

-Mark
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Post by gemini06720 »

Mark, I have two CyberPower UPS. I use the PowerPanel Business Edition software for both UPS (offers more flexibility than the PowerPanel Personal Edition software). The PPBE software offers two shutdown types: 'Hibernate' and 'Shutdown' - I have set both PPBE software to use the 'Shutdown' type after saving all opened file, logging off and then switching off the UPS.
Mark_A

Post by Mark_A »

Thanks Ray... Exactly what I was after. I ordered the new UPS this morning.

-Mark