Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Log Additional Sensors

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
dale
Weather Station: Ambient WS-5000
Operating System: Windows 11

Log Additional Sensors

Post by dale »

I've been using Cumulus for about 6 months now with a WMR-968 weather station and love it.

There is one capability that I would find very useful. Would it be possible for Cumulus to log the data from the additional sensors? One way to do this that would be upward compatible would be to create files with comma separated values named <Month><Day>as.txt
in much the same way as the existing monthly data files and simply record the current values of the sensors at the log interval. Users could then use this data as desired. You could also have an option to enable this recording of data.

An alternate, more general, way to accomplish this would be to allow the user to configure a template for a custom log file named <Month><Day>custom.txt. The template could use the same web tags as in the web pages and simply append a copy of the processed template to the file at each log interval.

Are there any plans for another version to be issued at some time in the future? Does something like this enhancement seem reasonable? Is there a different way that already exists to capture the additional sensor data?
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Log Additional Sensors

Post by steve »

Version 1.9.3 (see the Announcements and News section of the forum) has logging of extra sensor data.
Steve
dale
Weather Station: Ambient WS-5000
Operating System: Windows 11

Post by dale »

Great! Thanks. I missed the announcement of that version. Now I see it in the scrolling announcement section at the top of this page. I'll tried it out and it's working well. Thanks!
Grumpy Moose
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Win 7

Post by Grumpy Moose »

Steve, this turns out to be a timely question for me. My wife and I are currently away on vacation, and with the inside temp graph on the Trends page I was able to catch that my heating has failed at the house. With outside temps in the single digits F for the last week and forecast to continue, this is obviously a dangerous condition. Fortunately we were able to change our flights and get back to Anchorage tonight.

When I get home, I plan to add the extra Davis Temperature Station, with sensors strategically placed at different locations inside the house. I've been thinking that if I could monitor temps at different points within my HVAC system I could probably even diagnose the problem remotely and send in someone to fix it.

I notice the extra sensor support now available in the new version, and found the new webtags in the beta section. Great job on that btw! My question is there any way to display graphs for these on my website just like the one for the inside temperature available now? It is the graphical display that really allowed me to determine the temp drop rate and how soon I needed to rebook my itinerary and get home!
Last edited by Grumpy Moose on Wed 21 Nov 2012 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

There's no graphing of extra sensors at the moment, but it's on the list. To get a graph on a web site automatically currently, you would have to get the extra data logs uploaded in some format and then use something like Highcharts, as Mark has done here: https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8672
Steve
Grumpy Moose
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Win 7

Post by Grumpy Moose »

Thanks! I'll definitely start looking into that when I get back.

Like I said, I now have you and Cumulus to thank for preventing a frozen-burst-pipe-disaster at my house! :clap:
Snicker
Weather Station: WMR100N
Operating System: Win2012R2

Post by Snicker »

steve wrote:There's no graphing of extra sensors at the moment, but it's on the list. To get a graph on a web site automatically currently, you would have to get the extra data logs uploaded in some format and then use something like Highcharts, as Mark has done here: https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8672
Dear Cumulus,

Is this still in development? I have added a new sensor to my Wmr100n and I would really like to get the graph on it so I can see if the temp rises or falls graphically. Is there someway I maybe can replace the Inside graph temp sensor with the external sensor?

Best regards from:

Snicker - Norway
Where there's pleasure... there's always some pain!
-Snicker-
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Cumulus is very much still in development, yes; I am doing bug fixes and small enhancements to the existing code, and at the same time I am rewriting it to make it cross-platform (Windows/Linux/OS X), and when that is complete I can look at the long list of larger enhancement requests, including this one.

The only way you could get Cumulus to graph your extra sensor currently would be to set that channel as the 'main' temperature sensor, so it replaces your existing outdoor sensor.
Steve
Snicker

Post by Snicker »

Nice to hear! Yeah, Linux would be sweet. I see that many others request graph from more sensors from you. Hope it wont be to long until.
Replace the outdoor sensor, is that something I do inside Cumulus or on the Oregon? Not sure how I do that.

Best regards from
-Snicker- Norway
-Snicker-
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Snicker wrote:Replace the outdoor sensor, is that something I do inside Cumulus or on the Oregon? Not sure how I do that.
Stop Cumulus and edit cumulus.ini. In the [Station] section, add a line

WMR200TempChannel=N

where N is the channel number of your extra sensor (and the "200" is correct, even though you have a 100). Cumulus will then use that channel as your 'main' channel, and ignore channel 1, so think hard about this before you do it!
Steve
Snicker

Post by Snicker »

Thank you for your help. It almost worked, but it replaces the outside temp, not the inside temp. The station had to be put on the attic to reach the sensors outside, and I dont care about the temperature in the attic. And thats why I bought a extra sensor to keep in the living room. So if it would be possible to replace the Inside temp that would help me a lot!
-Snicker-
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Snicker wrote:Thank you for your help. It almost worked, but it replaces the outside temp, not the inside temp.
Sorry, I thought I had made it clear that's what it would do.
So if it would be possible to replace the Inside temp that would help me a lot!
Not currently, maybe one day. Your best bet for now is to plot your own graphs from the Cumulus data.
Steve
Snicker

Post by Snicker »

Stupid me needs a step by step guide to make a graph out of the sensor. Anyway, hope you add graphs for the extra sensor soon :) I know many would like it.
Thank you so much for your help. I sent you a small donation for your support.
-Snicker-
Tupsy
Weather Station: WMR88
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Tupsy »

Snicker wrote:Stupid me needs a step by step guide to make a graph out of the sensor. Anyway, hope you add graphs for the extra sensor soon :) I know many would like it.
Thank you so much for your help. I sent you a small donation for your support.
Hi.
I will just join the group that is looking forward to the extra sensor graph.
That would be really nice to have. :-)
Love this software.. Nice, simple and stable.