Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Turn off New Record

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
selfsimilar
Weather Station: National Geographic 265NC
Operating System: XP Pro

Turn off New Record

Post by selfsimilar »

Is there anyway to turn off the New Record green light indicator and flashing icon in system tray?
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Turn off New Record

Post by steve »

I'm not sure what you mean, exactly. You can click on the green LED to display the records and turn the LED off. But there's no way currently to completely disable it, but it's a thought for a future addition.

After you've been running Cumulus for while, you will rarely break a record, so it won't flash very often.
Steve
selfsimilar

Post by selfsimilar »

Yes - that is what I was looking for a way to disable the Green LED. I have no interest in records. And since in installing the new version there is an endless stream of Green LED flashing as the new records pile up. It would be nice if this feature could be disabled. Thank you.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

selfsimilar wrote:And since in installing the new version there is an endless stream of Green LED flashing
It's not a recent feature, it's been there for as long as I can remember. Installing a new version doesn't normally start the new record light flashing. If you're suddenly getting a lot of new records being broken having installed a new version, then it sounds like you haven't installed to the same place as the previous version (which would normally happen by default), so your previous data isn't being used.

Which version were you using before, and which version now?

Please zip up the diags folder and attach it.
Steve
selfsimilar

Post by selfsimilar »

I upgraded from 1.9.1 to 1.9.2. Version 1.9.2 was installed in the same directory as 1.9.1. There appear to be new record variables that were not available in 1.9.1.

Other than the endless annoying flashing new record LED and icon in the tray as thing like "Lowest Dew Point" and "Highest apparent temperature" as these records change as our Northern temperature drop to -20 to -40C, the program functions well. Version 1.9.2 has been completely operational here for a few months. There is no need for me to supply the diags folder.

For those of us that are only interested in monitor the current conditions without any interest in records it would be helpful if the new record notification could be disabled.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

selfsimilar wrote:There appear to be new record variables that were not available in 1.9.1.
Right, understood.
Steve
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

selfsimilar wrote: For those of us that are only interested in monitor the current conditions without any interest in records it would be helpful if the new record notification could be disabled.
Wow! :shock: You run a weather station and aren't interested in records? That could well place you in a club of 1. If the light annoys you just click it and eventually it will go away and will only return in exceptional conditions. I think it unfair to ask Steve to disable something that only one person has complained about.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It's not an unreasonable facility to request, though, and not hard to do. I can see how it would be annoying if you really weren't interested, and it could take some months for it to stop flashing as the temperature drops (for example). It just didn't occur to me that anyone wouldn't want to know when an all-time record was broken.
Steve
KevinF
Weather Station: WMR200
Operating System: XP SP3

Post by KevinF »

I don't understand either. I set my station up in April 2012. For sure records came thick and fast, but then diminished. No doubt, as my station experiences its first winter more records will arrive. I never get angry when I see that green light - I just calmly click it, and carry on as if nothing happened.

Highs and lows provide context and meaning to the day to day variations that occur, weekly, monthly, and annually. I assume anyone who publishes their data on the internet would want to reflect all the extremes in their display - and certainly the viewers would want to see that, especially in Canada the where the extremes in weather are daily news.

Kevin
selfsimilar

Post by selfsimilar »

Perhaps an explanation of what I am doing might be helpful. I use my weather station primarily to get wind speed and direction so I can keep a large antenna system pointed into the wind when not in use. This reduces the windload on the antenna and consequently the stress on the tower. Since our temperature range from +40C to -40C there are an endless number of new records as incremental changes occur. It is fun from time to time to look at the trends but new records are of relatively little interest. There are many uses for a weather station other than looking for new recordds. :D
KevinF
Weather Station: WMR200
Operating System: XP SP3

Post by KevinF »

I understand now. Although North America is a bugger for this ice rain! Might therefore the temperature data be of interest. I wouldn't want your antenna pylon to collapse and fracture under the weight of ice! ;)
selfsimilar

Post by selfsimilar »

Here in Saskatchewan we don't have much freezing rain. Although lately with global warming the frequency appears to be increasing. However, when it does come there is nothing I can do about it but cross my finger and hope the ice does not get thick enough to bend the antenna elements. A crank is needed to remove the antennas from the tower ;) Temperature is of interest but the local envirnoment Canada weather station is only about 5 miles from me so I get accurate current and historical weather from them.