Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Windows 8

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.

Will you be running Cumulus on Windows 8?

Yes, definitely
43%
No, definitely not
43%
I'm undecided
14%

Total votes: 238

gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Re: Windows 8

Post by gemini06720 »

I think the PC would be able to restart ... but just not shut down... :twisted:
stormbay
Weather Station: WH3081
Operating System: Windows 8 Pro x64

Post by stormbay »

Hi. I am on Windows 8 and have been for some time. Like all new releases, I just looked at it at first and couldn't understand the changes and placement of things (start menu etc) but in time, you get used to it. I would never go backwards to Win7 let alone XP (which is out of support).
Windows 8 is far superior to windows 7 in speed, security and device detection. I suspect you just need to get over the start menu and the touch factors. I find that sticking icons and arranging them on the start and then using one button (windows key) to access them rather than drilling down through menus, is actually much easier. This new behaviour did take me some time to learn.
If you ran the beta or pre releases and have made your judgement on those versions then don't - they are vastly different to the actual release version.
My only gripe is the crappy mono colors in the start menu apps but you don't need to use them. The desktop as you know it in previous versions is still there and that's what you spend most of your time in. There isn't a program I cannot run that I was in win 7 or XP and the comparability mode is vastly improved.
So I would say, yes there's a learning/getting used to curve but take it and in time you will be pleased with the upgrade.
BTW how Windows8 will fit into the corporate environment is yet to be seen but one thing for sure, this version and ow it is presented to the user is here to stay....

Regards
Philip
Mt Martha, VIC
AUSTRALIA
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

XP is still in support until 8th May 2014, that is the end of updates etc. according to MS.
David
duke

Post by duke »

thus near instant hybrid shutdown/hybrid boot
Curious, from a 'being green' point of view. With a 'hybrid' shut down, does it actually turn off? To clarify, does the PSU, fans etc, actually turn off as we are used to or are they still operational?
peterh
Weather Station: Alecto WS-5000 rebadged FO 3081
Operating System: Windows server 2008R2

Post by peterh »

Yes, they turn off. Feel free to unplug the machine.
An opinion should be the result of a thought process, not a substitution.
http://www.dnl-core.net/CothenWeather/
BCJKiwi
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Cabled
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Post by BCJKiwi »

Yes,

If you read the info at the link previously posted by Ray, http://windowssecrets.com/langalist-plu ... eally-off/ Fred Langa advises
It’s normal behavior for Win8, Pete. By default, that operating system’s core never shuts down all the way! It’s part of a new feature — fast startup.

When you issue a standard power-down command to Win8, it carries out a hybrid shutdown. Win8 first closes and terminates all user sessions in the expected way. Next, it copies what’s still running in RAM (primarily, the live core of the operating system — the system kernel) onto the hard drive. It then turns off the system hardware.
He also advises methods to carry out a full shut down when required.
duke

Post by duke »

I did read that but was I seeking clarification from an 'actual' user ;)

When I finally to decide to upgrade 7 to 8 I will be opting for the hard shut down as all my PC related equipment is isolated from the mains when not in use.
BCJKiwi

Post by BCJKiwi »

I am an 'actual' user.
I don't have a definitive 'official' answer for you but what I can tell you is that there is no apparent difference in the time to startup or the visible steps on screen between a physical power removal, and a normal (for Win8) shutdown.
I presume, after you physically power off, when you power on - once the core has started Win8 does a hybrid start the same as it does if the power is maintained to the core.
peterh

Post by peterh »

duke wrote:I did read that but was I seeking clarification from an 'actual' user ;)

When I finally to decide to upgrade 7 to 8 I will be opting for the hard shut down as all my PC related equipment is isolated from the mains when not in use.
You won't need to. The 'hybrid shutdown' is a hibernate... the system state is saved to the hard disk, and then the system shuts down completely, using zero power. Unplug it, plug it back in, and it'll do exactly what BCJKiwi says.
duke

Post by duke »

peterh wrote:
duke wrote:I did read that but was I seeking clarification from an 'actual' user ;)

You won't need to. The 'hybrid shutdown' is a hibernate... the system state is saved to the hard disk, and then the system shuts down completely, using zero power. Unplug it, plug it back in, and it'll do exactly what BCJKiwi says.
Thanks ;)
BrendanPratt
Weather Station: Aercus
Operating System: Windows 8

Post by BrendanPratt »

Hi

I have been running Windows 8 since November 2012 on both my main workstation and on my weather station, I have had no issues with Cumulus on the Windows 8.

I fine the interface much better and I like the tiles. I am using it on a desk top with out a touch screen and it works well.

The only issue I had was finding some drivers, but once I found my way around that all works well.
http://www.tepukeweather.co.nz live and up to date weather information. Website design FrameIT - http://www.frame-it.co.nz
ramrod
Weather Station: WH1080
Operating System: xp

Post by ramrod »

Im now running Windows 8 on my new laptop after my Vaio went pop :( . Cumulus is running fine on Win 8.

A bit of a change form XP but now loving it, shame the cheap upgrade is over otherwise Id update my Win 7 machine.
nitrx
Weather Station: WH1080
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by nitrx »

I'm glad I didn't , have it running virtual sometimes this is no desingn for desktops. I wonder if companies will use win 8...
BCJKiwi

Post by BCJKiwi »

The simplest trick to run desktop all the time (well virtually) is to drag the tile called 'desktop' to the top left position in the tile stack - i.e. make it the 'first tile'.
Whenever you restart all you have to do after logging in is press enter and you will be switched to the win7 style desktop.

That's all I've done. The other real time saver and OS navigation aid is to learn up on all the windows or start key + other key combos - there are plenty of them and they provide direct access to many things.
peterh

Post by peterh »

nitrx wrote:I'm glad I didn't , have it running virtual sometimes this is no desingn for desktops. I wonder if companies will use win 8...
I hear that a lot from people who have looked at Windows 8 for, say, 15 minutes.
I rarely hear that from people who have actually *used* it. BCJKiwi's comment about the shortcut keys holds a lot of water -- but then again this is true for all Windows versions.

Familiarise yourself with it, and you may not want to do without it (like yours truly).