Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Windows 8

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.

Will you be running Cumulus on Windows 8?

Yes, definitely
43%
No, definitely not
43%
I'm undecided
14%

Total votes: 238

Conrad
Weather Station: Davis Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Windows 8

Post by Conrad »

Well at the moment cumulus is installed on my pc using win 8 but after cumulus is running for around 5-10 minutes i think the pc crashes with a irq less not equal message I am pretty sure this is to do with the usb possibly but not sure
bruce45
Weather Station: wh1081
Operating System: windows 10

Post by bruce45 »

Conrad

do you have avg installed?grams

if so run the installation again and opt for uninstall and try that.

avg say it a microsoft problem but then microsoft say its a avg problem

me old dell 6400 laptop has been running fine with windows 8 and cumulus since i removed avg

my main pc is set as dual boot win7 and win8 avg installed on win 7 only other programs seem ok on both
Conrad
Weather Station: Davis Vue

Post by Conrad »

Hi bruce no using avast
atb
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH1080
Operating System: XP SP3 & Raspberry Pi

Post by atb »

My Cumulus "server" is an old Compaq laptop that was thrown out by a client - it's only job is to run Cumulus, uploading to a Web site and Weather Underground, also a "weather" cam uploading every 10 mins. Low power consumption for 24/7 use, it is managed via Remote Desktop - its CPU is stretched a bit by YAWCAM. XP Pro is the highest OS with which this system can cope.
It would be more interesting to migrate to a Rapberry Pi version of Cumulus than Win8, but I doubt if that would be very feasible or worthwhile - I'll be keeping to XP on an old, independent laptop.
bruce45

Post by bruce45 »

don't no if I am understanding windows 8 right but I run speedfan to check core temperature but it seems to be about 10 degrees low than running windows 7

any one else noticed a drop in temp
dale
Weather Station: Ambient WS-5000
Operating System: Windows 11

Post by dale »

I voted undecided, only because at some time I may choose to upgrade if I get a new computer that comes with Windows 8. I have very little interest in Windows 8 for a machine the runs Cumulus and would rather that Steve use his energy elsewhere for the time being.
henkg
Weather Station: WH3080 (Alecto WS-5000 ECO)
Operating System: Raspbian Wheezy on RPI B+

Post by henkg »

I voted yes. I upgraded from Windows 7, two weeks ago. Apart from Avira, no problems encountered. However, I am not using the tiles desktop yet, but the old one.
Regarding Cumulus: It ran on W7, it runs on W8.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Just to be clear - I am not proposing to do a whatever-metro-is-now-called version of Cumulus. I am just trying to gauge usage of Windows 8, to see if I should install it so that I can more easily investigate any issues which may arise, which are specific to Windows 8.
Steve
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Post by gemini06720 »

Steve, I have been running Cumulus (non-stop) for the past week without any problem. As you might have guess from my previous posts, Cumulus is running very well (quire reliably, all by itself) on the desktop 'side' of Windows 8 ... and certainly not on the 'ugly' Metro/Start screen (whichever name they need to give it).

Steve, may I suggest that you install Windows 8 as a 'dual-boot' operating system - if you need to make some Windows 8 specific tests, then you could boot to Windows 8 - otherwise, you use whatever other operating system you have on that computer - both Windows 7 and Windows 8 are very 'dual-boot' compatible.

Other than Windows 8 specific error messages, I do not think there are that many differences between Windows 7 and Windows 8 ... although there might be some slight differences in the OS security (that was one of the first operation I did after installing Windows 8, disabling all safety/security options).
bruce45

Post by bruce45 »

I have been running tests for some other software with windows 8 on 2 laptops one is just windows 8 my other is dual boot windows 7 / 8 and have not had any problems with cumulus on either laptops. I don't run a web page other than weather underground so cant comment about problems that could be there for this option.

Steve fingers crossed your feeling better and I would not worry about cumulus working on windows 8

Bruce
Skippy
Weather Station: WS-1090
Operating System: Windows 8 64-bit

Post by Skippy »

Hey all. New poster. Just wanted to give you my two cents on Windows 8 and Cumulus also.

It works fine for me. Desktop AMD machine with an ASRock motherboard. Other than that ugly 'Metro' screen...or whatever Microsoft is calling it today...it seems to work as it should.

I will warn you guys trying to use AVG or Avast!, that Microsoft has incorporated it's own anti-virus into Windows 8 (Microsoft Security Essentials)....and you all know two anti-virus programs shouldn't run on the same machine at the same time. But, I've used MSE since it came out and found it to be a competent program.

Another tip is to go and get Start8 from the Stardock website, if you buy Win8. For $5, the Start8 program will give you a Windows start button once again...and...make the desktop screen come up on default. No metro mess screen to deal with unless you intentionally go to it. Many, many people are flocking to Stardock and snatching this up.

IMO, Windows 8 is nothing more than a large service pack for windows 7 (kinda like what Service Pack 2 was for XP). There are changes here and there, but it's still Win7 at the core. Not really worth upgrading to....but I had my own reasons to move up.
bruce45

Post by bruce45 »

hi skippy

that would help explain about my earlier posting about avg.

I have Norton running with no problem it has been coded to work with windows 8.

as I said before and skippy said it is only windows 7 with a few extras and if anyone was going to upgrade to windows 7 then moving to windows 8 instead might be cheaper. you can still have windows media player free until the end of January 2013. I have posted a link to this before.
Nels
Weather Station: Ambient Weather WS-2095

Post by Nels »

I've been using Windows 8 now since it came out. No problems at all when I upgraded my PC from Windows 7. Cumulus kept working just like I knew it would. It is a great product!
Skippy
Weather Station: WS-1090
Operating System: Windows 8 64-bit

Post by Skippy »

I did want to add some input: After a recent Windows update, Cumulus stopped reading from my weather station. Finally figured it out by running it in compatibility mode (Win7) and running as administrator. Don't know why everything changed after that last update, but it did. Otherwise, still running on Win8.
kc2kzz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Raspbian on Pi B+

Post by kc2kzz »

I just rebuilt my server which was running Windows 7, with Windows Server 2012. So far Cumulus seems to be running fine.