Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Translation

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
LeGrec
Weather Station: OS WMR88A
Operating System: WindowsXP SP3

Translation

Post by LeGrec »

Hi Steve,

i'm starting to play with the tool. I know DAJ did a french translation of the strings.ini file, but since it was outdated, i redid it.
**after i was finish and looking for something else on the forum, i saw that JacquesD also did it not so long ago. :? But hey, it's done :D

First thing, the new extra sensor/temp/hum caption, shouldn't they be all link to each other, like the sensor caption give the name to the temp and hum of that sensor? Why specify it three time instead of once? Not hard tyo change them all, but just asking!

Second thing, i saw when i applied my new file, that the lunar caption was too small for french translation. in fact, just too high on the screen.*see image**

If you change something for that display, maybe give the poor forecast caption a upgrade. Look out-of-date compare to the rest of the screen.

Link to that, i have another request. Since i want to translate the forecast text and try to reflect the reality, is it possible to post the criteria for the 26 forecast text. Languages can be so different and interpreted in many way. It's all in the form.
Even if it is the code itself.

That's it for now. I am very excited playing with the tool or the past week. At work or on my iPad looking at my weather. Great tool. Great job!

Thx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Translation

Post by steve »

The strings.ini facility is just a quick 'hack' that I did to allow a few items to be translated or modified. It's too much work now to do a proper translation facility. It has a few "issues" in Cumulus itself, as you've found, and it's mainly designed to make web sites easier to translate, rather than Cumulus itself. Please regard it as "better than nothing".
First thing, the new extra sensor/temp/hum caption, shouldn't they be all link to each other, like the sensor caption give the name to the temp and hum of that sensor? Why specify it three time instead of once? Not hard tyo change them all, but just asking!
Because it's more flexible the way it is? But it does make a change to get a request for fewer facilities :lol:
If you change something for that display, maybe give the poor forecast caption a upgrade. Look out-of-date compare to the rest of the screen.
Sorry, I don't know what you mean; the forecast looks just the same as the rest of the screen for me, and from what I can see from your image, it's the same for you?
Link to that, i have another request. Since i want to translate the forecast text and try to reflect the reality, is it possible to post the criteria for the 26 forecast text. Languages can be so different and interpreted in many way. It's all in the form.
Even if it is the code itself.
I took the Zambretti code from beteljuice's original javascript, which is normally here: http://www.dickie.webfusion.co.uk/zambr ... ecast.html but that page doesn't seem to load for me at the moment. You can find his code in lots of places on the web, e.g. http://www.whitbyweather.com/Zambretti/forecaster.html
Steve
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

The beteljuice had an 'enforced' host change.

Javascript Zambretti is : http://www.beteljuice.com/zambretti/forecast.html

... but surely he 'just' wants a better French interpretation for the different strings ?
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
LeGrec

Post by LeGrec »

Hi,

Thx Steve for the response. I understand about the localization, makes a program more complexe to change and maintain.

For the forecast label, what i meant was maybe make it bigger, colorful, an image, give him some emphasis. And after seing what Beteljuice did by putting the algorythm to code, i'm just saying that for him, hahaha
I found that site, http://www.meteormetrics.com/zambretti.htm and wow, the logic is huge! And i saw the A-Z forcast string, the one you are using. Beteljuice was right, that is what i want to translate and wanted to understand them.

I will continu learning about the Zambretti algorithm, very interresting!
LeGrec

Post by LeGrec »

One for Daj...

Just put in place the iPhone web version, very nice!
I can't download the french version. Is it lost and need a new one?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.