Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

three annoying problems with Cumulus and ws-1080

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
zetka
Weather Station: wh1080 Solar
Operating System: Windows XP

three annoying problems with Cumulus and ws-1080

Post by zetka »

Hello all,
I have three very annoying problems with Cumulus 1.9.2 and WH-1080.
1)when the Cumulus processing the data entries, read from the 1080, it is terribly slow, maybe 2 entries per second, so processing of a week data with 5min periods takes minutes to be done. I am convinced, that the first versions (y. 2010) were significantly faster

2) maybe I have done something wrong, but since my last upgrade to version 1.9.2 I am not able to read older database entries that the date of installation of the new version of Cumulus. Is there any way how to re-import the old data or bring cumulus to read and use the old data?

3) the most annoying problem concerns hardware or driver of the WH-1080, because since some time (and maybe after some sw update or maybe changing of usb cables) I am getting Dxdiag and Directx 9.0c errors showing some problems with DirectInput devices. When I was searching, I have found that it is caused by the WH-1080, in case of disabling the hardware entry in the system for the WH-1080 the dxdiag and directx work without problem. It is quite strange and unfortunately I am not able to track now, what was the cause after which it started, because about year ago I did not have those problems.

I will be very happy when somebody helps me to repair or solve my issues.

Regards,
ZETKA, Prague.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: three annoying problems with Cumulus and ws-1080

Post by steve »

zetka wrote:1)when the Cumulus processing the data entries, read from the 1080, it is terribly slow, maybe 2 entries per second, so processing of a week data with 5min periods takes minutes to be done. I am convinced, that the first versions (y. 2010) were significantly faster
Here are some timings (from the diags file) from my (mid-range) PC:

10/05/2012 07:50:23.248 : Cumulus 1.9.3 Build 1035 startup
10/05/2012 07:50:25.677 : 07:50:25 EWUSB: Get history data
10/05/2012 07:50:45.895 : 07:50:45 EWUSB: Processing history data
10/05/2012 07:50:45.896 : EWUSB: Number of entries = 502
10/05/2012 07:51:10.107 : 07:51:10 EWUSB: End processing history data

20 seconds to download 500 entries, and 25 seconds to process them. A week's worth of data would be four times that, so about three minutes. I don't think that's unreasonable for an entire week's worth of data. Note that as I add more facilities to Cumulus, these inevitably add to the time it takes to process the data.
2) maybe I have done something wrong, but since my last upgrade to version 1.9.2 I am not able to read older database entries that the date of installation of the new version of Cumulus. Is there any way how to re-import the old data or bring cumulus to read and use the old data?
The most likely explanation is that you haven't installed Cumulus to the same place as the previous version. You can find your old data and either copy it to the new installation and let Cumulus catch up with logger data, or you could merge it in, but this is tricky.
3) the most annoying problem concerns hardware or driver of the WH-1080, because since some time (and maybe after some sw update or maybe changing of usb cables) I am getting Dxdiag and Directx 9.0c errors showing some problems with DirectInput devices. When I was searching, I have found that it is caused by the WH-1080, in case of disabling the hardware entry in the system for the WH-1080 the dxdiag and directx work without problem. It is quite strange and unfortunately I am not able to track now, what was the cause after which it started, because about year ago I did not have those problems.
Others had this problem, but I can't remember whether there was a fix. I think Terry in NZ knows something about this, so he may be able to offer some advice when he sees this.
Steve
zetka

Post by zetka »

Hello Steve,
thanks for your fast reply to all my points.
Concerning the processing speed it is relative, although my PC with Quad processor is able to do a huge amount of calculations (16bit FFT with 2Msaples online) I was comparing that with the processing the "few" entries of the meteostation data. I have mentioned that when processing too, that the HDD is active, so I think that Cumulus periodically opens and closes the database file after every entry, which could be really time consuming process, but this is only a little thing.

I am sure I have not changed anything, even in some internal Cumulus data file there is correct begining of data somewhre deep in 2010. Concerning the database problem I spend some time yesterday and I have mentioned following - I looked into the log and there is huge amount of entries, that item in database is not a floating point number (or similar, I am at work and not able to look at it) and that I sholuld correct it manually. When I looked into the database itself, it seems, that from the time when I have installed the new version (April 2012), the decimal separator in the database was changed from "." to ",". I live in the area where it is used to have "." as separator and I am convinced to have it used in the Windows setting, so I suppose that in Cumulus 1.9.2 was changed something or it did not take care about that.
Do you thing that it would be possible to change the old entries data separator by use some clever Editor and forget it?
Concerning the HID thanks for info, I try to ask the mentioned member, how he avoid that.
Maybe last Comment - after the update I have mentioned too, that although I am able to download the data from 1080, in case of opened Cumulus I am getting Red error light blinking on the main display, although before I have seen the green one. I keep the 1080 connected to PC.
Regards and thanks again for reply,
Zetka.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

zetka wrote:When I looked into the database itself, it seems, that from the time when I have installed the new version (April 2012), the decimal separator in the database was changed from "." to ",". I live in the area where it is used to have "." as separator and I am convinced to have it used in the Windows setting, so I suppose that in Cumulus 1.9.2 was changed something or it did not take care about that.
Cumulus uses the Windows settings; it always has done.
Do you thing that it would be possible to change the old entries data separator by use some clever Editor and forget it?
That's what I do when people give me data to look at; it's quite easy.
Maybe last Comment - after the update I have mentioned too, that although I am able to download the data from 1080, in case of opened Cumulus I am getting Red error light blinking on the main display
Clicking on the error light shows the error.
Steve
Super-T
Weather Station: wh-1081
Operating System: Weather Laptop - Windows 10 Pro

Post by Super-T »

The problem is DirectX 9 in XP.
My problem was solved when I replaced the computer with Windows 7. Not for this reason though.....upgrade was due.
I'm pretty sure you can't go higher than DirectX 9 in XP.
Search the forum with ---------> directx usb
zetka

Post by zetka »

Hello,
yesterday I have decided to solve the database problem. You were right, I have found in the setting, that there was a comma "," there instead of ".". As far as it is much more easy to change some commas in the database to ".", I have done that. First I did it only in the dayfile.txt, but after starting I have got a nice Cumulus crash, the reason were some "," in the other files in the data directory, because the details of the crash pointed to invalid floating point.
After exchange of all "," to "." in the directory all seems well now, even the red control (which pointed to the error with sensor) are now away.
Maybe this can help to somebody else.
Regards,
Zetka.