Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus and NAS

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
Greenvalley
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Cumulus and NAS

Post by Greenvalley »

Hello all.
I bought a Davis Vue 3 weeks ago and i started using Cumulus, a great program!
I would like to have Cumulus running 24/7 to keep always updated my website, but i can't have always ON my main PC; so i was thinking to use a netbook with SSD that i already own.
My main issue is that i would like to use Cumulus from both my computers (one at once, not at the same time!), the desktop (for "normal" usage and maybe site adjusting) and the netbook (that would be the "night worker" to keep alive the website), but sharing the same data; so i was thinking to something like to have the the Cumulus.exe files on both my computers (to launch the program from one or the other, alternatively) and all the data files on my NAS (a Netgear Readynas NV+).
Desktop, netbook and NAS are connected to a router, both the computers have Windows XP SP3, NAS and router are always ON.
My informatic knowledge is not so good, so i don't know if that would be possible: i would greatly appreciate suggestions on how to realize my idea.

Thank you very much in advance!

Stefano
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Cumulus and NAS

Post by steve »

It's not possible to run two copies of Cumulus with the same station and data. Options include using 'remote desktop' from one PC to the other, or viewing web pages created by Cumulus.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Well, actually... you might be able to do it if your Weatherlink adapter was an IP one. You might then be able to map the drive containing the data, and set the working directory in the shortcut on the other PC to the 'real' Cumulus folder, since you only want to run one at a time. I don't know whether that would work, though.

If you don't have a Weatherlink IP, then the station can only be physically connected to one PC at a time, so only that PC would be able to talk to it. You would have to keep swapping the station over from one PC to the other.

But basically my original reply applies; if you did manage to get it working somehow it would be unsupported.
Steve
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Post by gemini06720 »

Stefano, it is possible to run two copies of Cumulus with only one weather station - through the use of SoftWx VirtualVP. But the data produced by each copy of Cumulus cannot be merged nor saved/sent to the same location.

I would suggest that you always run (24/7) one copy of Cumulus on your netbook and use that data to update your web site - that netbook would be your main weather computer.

If you really needed/wanted to run a copy of Cumulus on your main desktop PC, then you would need to use the VirtualVP software to allow more than one weather software to access the data from your weather station. You would also need to have a program to copy/synchronize the weather data from one computer to the other, such as Super Flexible Software Super Flexible File Synchronizer.

I am running two copies of Cumulus on two different computers from one weather station - the data from the weather station is first 'captured' by VirtualVP - then each copy of Cumulus 'grab' the weather data from VirtualVP - during the night time, I usually shut down Cumulus on my development computer, while Cumulus on my other computer continues to update my web site. When I am back at my my development computer, before re-stating Cumulus, I will run Super Flexible File Synchronizer to synchronize the data on both computers (to get the most recent data produced by the second copy of Cumulus).
Greenvalley

Post by Greenvalley »

Thank you Steve and Ray for your replies, i will sit down for a moment and i will try to understand what's the most suitable solution for me. I also read somewhere about a "meteoplug" to be online 24/7, but dunno what's that: i will google it.

Best regards

Stefano
gemini06720

Post by gemini06720 »

Stefano, remember, if you enjoy the easy setup and reliable operation of Cumulus, you will not find that on anything else (yet! :mrgreen: ) but a Windows-based computer.

Stefano, you already have a netbook - it is probably a low energy consumption computer - to that netbook, you have added a solid-state drive (again, lower energy consumption) - and the netbook has its own uninterruptible power supply (the rechargeable battery pack) - what more can you ask for a low energy consumption weather computer... :)
Greenvalley

Post by Greenvalley »

gemini06720 wrote: Stefano, you already have a netbook - it is probably a low energy consumption computer - to that netbook, you have added a solid-state drive (again, lower energy consumption) - and the netbook has its own uninterruptible power supply (the rechargeable battery pack) - what more can you ask for a low energy consumption weather computer... :)
:D yeah, all true! My only problem is the netbook screen.... not easy at all to type and read there, expecially when working on a website...
nking
Weather Station: W-8681
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by nking »

Greenvalley wrote: :D yeah, all true! My only problem is the netbook screen.... not easy at all to type and read there, expecially when working on a website...
As Steve says using Remote Access is probably the answer. I personally use Team Viewer http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx?cdsplit=D , I know others like to use https://secure.logmein.com . You should try them as I think you'll be impressed. ;)
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080

Post by AllyCat »

Greenvalley wrote: My only problem is the netbook screen.... not easy at all to type and read there, expecially when working on a website...
Hi,

Most Netbooks have an external monitor socket which can be used at higher resolution when required. Less than £100 for a dedicated LCD monitor, or perhaps you even have a spare, or LCD TV with PC input for occasional use? And a USB keyboard if you find the Netbook fiddly?

Cheers, Alan.
Greenvalley

Post by Greenvalley »

AllyCat wrote:Hi,
Most Netbooks have an external monitor socket which can be used at higher resolution when required. Less than £100 for a dedicated LCD monitor, or perhaps you even have a spare, or LCD TV with PC input for occasional use? And a USB keyboard if you find the Netbook fiddly?

Cheers, Alan.
Thank you Alan, but my living room is already like a NASA operating room, i can't ask to my wife to accept more "electronic stuff" :D
nking wrote:As Steve says using Remote Access is probably the answer. I personally use Team Viewer http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx?cdsplit=D , I know others like to use https://secure.logmein.com . You should try them as I think you'll be impressed. ;)
Thank you Neil, i think i will try the Remote way :)
gemini06720

Post by gemini06720 »

AllyCat wrote:Most Netbooks have an external monitor socket which can be used at higher resolution when required...
Greenvalley wrote:Thank you Alan, but my living room is already like a NASA operating room, i can't ask to my wife to accept more "electronic stuff" :D
Stefano, how about using a KVM switch - for the last 3-4 months, I have been using an IOGEAR 4-Port DVI KVMP Switch with Audio and Cables - it allows me to access up to four computers with only one keyboard, one mouse and one monitor - other than a new control box and some additional cables ... I do not think your wife would even notice anything different in your NASA-like living room... :mrgreen:
serowe
Weather Station: WM918
Operating System: Win Server 2008 R2

Post by serowe »

Greenvalley wrote:Thank you Alan, but my living room is already like a NASA operating room, i can't ask to my wife to accept more "electronic stuff" :D
You shouldn't have to add anything more. Most modern (read 3-4 years old) screens have dual inpouts - either DSUB and DV and/or HDMI. Netbooks usually only have a DSUB output for external monitors so, if your desktops are using DVI or HDMI you should be able to dual input to one of the monitors without having to install/buy another.
Punctuation is the difference between 'Let's eat, grandma' and 'Let's eat grandma'
GraemeT
Weather Station: La Crosse WS-2355 & WS-2306
Operating System: Windoze 7, 10, 11

Post by GraemeT »

Stefano,
I use the same KVM as Ray, marketed as ATEN CS1764A. I've had it for about 2 years now and can state that a good KVM is the ONLY way to go - reduced clutter on the desktop/dining-room table, keeping 'She Who Must Be Obeyed' content.
I use it in conjunction with a 4-port powered hub to connect several extra devices, in addition to the mouse/keyboard combo.
Cheers,
Graeme.
Greenvalley

Post by Greenvalley »

Many thanks to all, you are giving me great suggestions :clap:
Now it's Easter time, but next week i will try your ideas.