Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Webservers

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
Lamo82
Weather Station: W-8681 Mk II
Operating System: Raspbian - R-Pi 2

Webservers

Post by Lamo82 »

Hello folks,

I’m looking to see how many of you achieve this so I can best look into my options. Currently just now I have an old netbook running 24/7 to carry out the upload of cumulus data to my webhost.

I'm aware that this might not be the most power efficient way of doing this and was wondering what low cost ways forums users have of performing this?

For the purpose of buying equipment I’m based on the west coast of Scotland.

Thanks in advance,

Mark L
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Webservers

Post by mcrossley »

Given that you need to run Windows, a net-book will be hard to beat in terms of power consumption, and has been pointed out before has a built-in UPS. Running Linux opens up other possibilities, but then you have to move away from Cumulus.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

It would be nice to get Cumulus (or even a cut down version) onto a Raspberry Pi, but I don't think that's going to happen just yet.
Steve
b.e.wilson
Weather Station: Davis Vantage VUE
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by b.e.wilson »

A small notebook is the way I do it. I use a program like SpeedFan to make sure the CPU is being clocked efficiently (low frequency, low voltage), so I am using about 40 watts. Not bad, but I don't want to spend more money on one of the very efficient nettop or netbook computers which might run around 10W. An additional 10W goes to running the UPS, and 20W runs the modem and router. So in total I run a pretty constant 70W to keep my data live. This is measured, not estimated, using one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Conserve-I ... B003P2UMP8

EDIT: I also use Microsoft Live for concurrent data backup to other machines.
Last edited by b.e.wilson on Tue 17 Jan 2012 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lamo82
Weather Station: W-8681 Mk II
Operating System: Raspbian - R-Pi 2

Post by Lamo82 »

Thanks for the quick response guys much appreciated.

Steve, I was thinking about the Raspberry Pi when I made the initial post, that would be awesome! I'm planning on using a Pi to run a webcam for the weather station.

Mark L
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

I think Raspberry Pi's will be taking over the universe :lol: You've gotta get a couple just to play with. Something that was 'compatible' with Cumulus on these devices would be fantastic.

Interesting that I was recently watching a video about our roadmap for low power servers based on these 'mobile' chip sets, some amazing things coming down the road.
serowe
Weather Station: WM918
Operating System: Win Server 2008 R2

Post by serowe »

Thnk about what else you want to run 'at home'. A cheap XP system can run weather software (most flavours), security cameras, internal file/web server etc. A machine like this doesn't need much in terms of power (depending on what you want to 'spend')

One of the machines I have set up for another user runs their weather software, an internal card carrying 8 security camera inputs, file and data storage and acts as a router for their internet access. 600W power supply, 3 large HDD's (3Tb each), no screen, no KB or mouse, connected to a UPS capable of powering it for 35 minutes all on an older (well 3 yo) MoBo (one that had been replaced during an upgrade). IOW - mostly old parts (except for the HDD) and recycled for something more useful.
Punctuation is the difference between 'Let's eat, grandma' and 'Let's eat grandma'
L0gic
Weather Station: Fine Offset
Operating System: WHS

Post by L0gic »

My needs spread wider than solely Cumulus as I have a file server, PV monitor apps and camera requirements.
So I run on of those HP Micro Servers, they have a low power requirement and I've set it to be as frugal as practical, I shut down discs after 10 min of inactivity etc.
Kevin
Canvey Island | http://www.canveyweather.co.uk
| Wunderground PWS ID - IESSEXCA3

bigmac
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless
Operating System: Raspbian wheezy

Post by bigmac »

Quick question, as I am also really interested in the Raspberry Pi's. I have no knowledge of Linux, so, how easy (or hard) is it to port programmes for a Windows platform over to a Linux platform?

Obviously I'm completely glossing over the fact that Steve may not want to or know how to do this even if he had the inclination in amongst the hundreds of feature requests he already has to implement :lol: :lol: :lol:
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

bigmac wrote:I have no knowledge of Linux, so, how easy (or hard) is it to port programmes for a Windows platform over to a Linux platform?
It depends on the application and how much Windows-specific code it has. In the case of Cumulus, large amounts would need rewriting - all of the Davis code, for example, as it currently uses a Windows DLL. It uses components which have no Linux version, e.g. the graphs and gauges, so alternatives would need to be found for those. All of the GUI would need replacing as the underlying code is all Windows-specific.
Steve
bigmac
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless
Operating System: Raspbian wheezy

Post by bigmac »

ah, so you should be able to have it done by Friday then Steve!!! :lol:

Looks like I'll have to find other uses for a Raspberry then, once I learn Linux.
cats_five
Weather Station: WH1081PC
Operating System: Win 7 x64 Pro

Post by cats_five »

Not sure a GUI is needed to run on a Raspberry Pi as they are usually run headless. I've got one on the way and will be trying other weather software - all I want it to do is gather data and upload a file containing the values to a website, and on the website the templates are PHP rather than HTML and the website deals with substituting the correct values from the uploaded file.
Pegase 101a
Pentax K7
Weather Station: Not currently available
Photography: http://www.fifescapes.co.uk
Cats: http://shunracats.wordpress.com
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

cats_five wrote:Not sure a GUI is needed to run on a Raspberry Pi as they are usually run headless.
Some kind of GUI is required. Not everyone wants to upload their data to a web site just to be able to look at it locally. I run my Pi headlessly, but I use VNC to view the desktop. The GUI wouldn't necessarily have to run on the Pi itself, however, and I have a few ideas in that direction. My hope is that what I come up won't be Pi specific. Still some way off, though.
Steve
cats_five
Weather Station: WH1081PC
Operating System: Win 7 x64 Pro

Post by cats_five »

steve wrote:
cats_five wrote:Not sure a GUI is needed to run on a Raspberry Pi as they are usually run headless.
Some kind of GUI is required. Not everyone wants to upload their data to a web site just to be able to look at it locally. I run my Pi headlessly, but I use VNC to view the desktop. The GUI wouldn't necessarily have to run on the Pi itself, however, and I have a few ideas in that direction. My hope is that what I come up won't be Pi specific. Still some way off, though.
Ah - posting problems. What is missing is that to me this is about separating data collection from presentation. All platforms need the collection and upload, they don't all need the presentation.
Last edited by cats_five on Mon 22 Oct 2012 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pegase 101a
Pentax K7
Weather Station: Not currently available
Photography: http://www.fifescapes.co.uk
Cats: http://shunracats.wordpress.com
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Any recommendations on which flavour of VNC? I haven't used it in a long time, now if find, Real/Tight/Pocket/Ultra-VNC and probably more!