Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Webservers

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Webservers

Post by steve »

I'm using Tight VNC at both ends; very easy to set up and works really well.
Steve
philcdav
Weather Station: MyDEL WX2008 Mk2 Fine Offset
Operating System: XP and W7

Post by philcdav »

Hi Mark.

I use a 15 year old HP laptop with full 'power saving' selected and screen shut down (when lid closed) to run Cumulus.

This FTPs to my Virginmedia web space via the router.

It consumes about 45W for both.

Remote access is via Team Viewer, free for non commercial users. A very excellent product.
Phil - G0DOR
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Thanks both, it was a solution for the Pi I was after - not not I use the GUI for much, the cli is faster.
TNETWeather

Post by TNETWeather »

I have 3 Raspberry Pi's (so far... more going to come...).

I created a resource website for a number of projects that I am working on for the Raspberry Pi: http://rpi.tnet.com

I personally, was not thinking about using the RPi as a weather station system... I currently have a full workstation dedicated to do that with my Davis Vantage Pro+ station as it does more than just look at the weather station.

One of my "projects" is more along the lines of an environmental sensor package using an RPi... Temp, Humidity, light, motion, moisture with a WiFi headless package. Kind of something you would put in a data center to detect for issues that might harm the servers...

However... weather... as a weather processing device, I think it would be very good for dealing with just weather input it would be pretty good for that. Basic processing of the data to be either sent or picked up by another system/server for processing and display.

Separating the collection of the data into output log files, and having the display fuctions done by other processes makes a lot of sense to me.

I know there are people that like to stare and the console for hours on end watching the wind speed change, direction of the wind and the occasional change of other weather data... I just use my phone or a browser to look at the result info... updated once minute is more than enough for me.

From my point of view, I rarely every watch the console of the weather stations I use.. (Weather Display and Cumulus) as I look for the data on the website. So the lack of anything but a basic text interface with simple commands to start, stop, reset.... is more than enough for me. Note that my current weather processing workstation is headless... so no console to really look at unless I VNC (RealVNC) into the box.

In a mobile setting, the low power needs of the RPi would be great at collection from a station mounted in a vehicle or remote location.

Creating a simple data collection system without a graphical GUI should be pretty simple I would think. There is code for a number of weather stations in some other packages.

Makes sense for the separation of the data collection from the actual display functions assuming you even want those.