Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus and wine/linux?

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
Komet
Weather Station: FO WH3080
Operating System: XP SP3 32bit

Re: Cumulus and wine/linux?

Post by Komet »

I use Mint but any Linux version would be good.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

As a 'background' activity, I'm looking into the possibility of a version of Cumulus which will work with Mono, and hence should run on Linux and Mac OS X (as well as Windows).
Steve
fadiaz
Weather Station: Ambient Weather 2902
Operating System: Windows 10 (64 bits)

Post by fadiaz »

Right now I run cumulus (with other weather related software) in a Win7 PC, but I would also be very interested in a Cumulus version for Linux and/or a Cumulus version that runs in Mono... Of course, at your convenience Steve... :)

And BTW... Thanks again for a great program...
Dunnock
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH1081
Operating System: linux Mint 20

Post by Dunnock »

This Linux thread seems to have gone a bit quiet lately. What's the latest experience with running Cumulus on a Linux machine - Wine or VM?

I've finally given up on Windows, as Win7 has just become un-bootable on my laptop. However, I didn't find Cumulus ran/installed properly under Win7 anyway so it has been running under XP on a more or less dedicated old desktop. I have absolutely no intention of even trying out Win8.

I'm now using Linux Mint on my other machines, and just have 3 key applications on the XP machine (2 that are rooted in MS-Access databases plus Cumulus). The two databases will probably migrate to Linux at some point.

Chris
thekow
Weather Station: w1080
Operating System: Virtualbox XP environment

Post by thekow »

I'm using virtualbox and XP at the moment.. it works fine. I would rather a native mode though :).
insx
Weather Station: Fine Offset
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by insx »

Adding my interest in a linux version. Cumulus is one of the few programs I use that doesn't have a good linux alternative. Did anyone get it working in WINE or is it still not possible to get a USB connection?
N0BGS
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Win10vm,VMWare ESXi 7.0

Post by N0BGS »

I am using Fedora 17 Linux running VMWare 7.1.6. The VMWare host is Windows XP SP3 on which I run Cumulus 1.9.4-b1070.
I have a Davis VP2 WS using the USB connection to the data logger installed in the Davis display console.

Cumulus FTP's it's files to Linux ( a very short distance away ;) )which is running Apache, PHP and mySQL and hosting the website all on one box. Current uptime for the system without a reboot is 25 days.

This has been working quite well for me since last October.

Take a look: http://cheesewhiz.dyndns.org/

--Kurt
Blitzortung Station 1809
dc1500
Weather Station: Watson W-8681 (Fine Offset type)
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by dc1500 »

It is quite surprising a third party hasn't contacted Steve to rewrite it for Linux. It's the sort of project clever Linux people like! I would be interested. Considering there are Android and iPhone Apps out there, (of course I realise they are only reading Cumulus generated data) I'm surprised no one has had a go..
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

dc1500 wrote:It is quite surprising a third party hasn't contacted Steve to rewrite it for Linux.
I have people asking me for the source code quite often, and I tell them politely that it isn't available. If anyone is going to do a Linux version, it will be me.

As it happens, I am getting quite close now to having a Linux version of a basic Cumulus 'engine' working. Still needs some work, though.
Steve
insx
Weather Station: Fine Offset
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by insx »

Excellent news, Steve.
mattltm
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Xp Pro SP3

Post by mattltm »

Thats great news.

Cumulus is the only thing left running on my old windows machine.

Well done Steve. :)
Matt
bmak
Weather Station: fine offset
Operating System: XP

Post by bmak »

I also have a standalone XP PC running just for Cumulus and Itunes and the sooner i can movee everything to my linux PC the better
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

This site - http://nybbles.co.uk/test/ - is being updated by an Arm-Linux build of Cumulus running on my Raspberry Pi, reading data from my Fine Offset station. The historical data is garbage because it's a random set of test data from various places, and the current data isn't good because most of my Fine Offset station no longer works, and the console and temp sensor are sitting on my desk.

The 'core' functions of logging data, maintaining highs and lows etc, processing of web tags and FTP to web sites etc all seem to be working.

A few things are ported but not working for various reasons. Some things (e.g. uploads to WU etc) are ported but not yet tested.

Apart from the 'common' code, only the Fine Offset station code has been ported so far.

This is just the 'engine', i.e. no user interface, and that's how it will almost certainly stay, the user interface will be separate (and probably run in a browser). Thus there are no graphs. I'm still deciding what to do about this, and I'm thinking that they will probably be javascript, probably Highcharts.

The same code should build on an x86 Linux box, so at some point I'll try that also.

The same code compiles and runs on Windows.

In theory the same code will compile and run on a Mac, but I haven't got around to trying yet.

Still quite a way to go, lots more code to be written/ported.
Steve
aduncan
Weather Station: Weathereye WEA22
Operating System: Win7

Post by aduncan »

Steve, I have a WH1080 and a Raspberry Pi sitting waiting for this project. I'd be happy to be a beta tester (or even an alpha tester!) if needed.

Andrew
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It's very much alpha, or probably pre-alpha at the moment, but I'll see if I can make something available before too long. I wouldn't expect anyone to use it even part time with a 'real' setup, but if you have spare kit and you're keen then you might as well have a go, it might be informative. Be warned that it has absolutely no user interface, it gets its settings from a cumulus.ini file and you have to look at the diags file to see whether it's doing anything! The only way to get data out is via web tags.

It needs a hidraw-enabled Raspbian kernel; if they haven't enabled that in the latest distribution then you have to build the kernel yourself as I did.
Steve