Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Nice clean format

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
TNETWeather

Nice clean format

Post by TNETWeather »

I like the program. Easy to setup and use from what I have seen.

The view log doesn't seem to do anything. Might be missing something there.

Look forward to further development of the project. Creating support functions externally (website PHP templates etc) is something that can be done.

BTW... The log format really should use the ISO Date Format both for internal data and logfile name format. That would make storing, sorting of both the data and files much easier.

Logfile names are easer to deal with when using ISO date formats.

2008-01.log
2008-02.log
2008-03.log

vs...

Jan08log.txt
Feb08log.txt
Mar08log.txt
Apr08log.txt

When listed, the ISO dates stay in order and are easier understood regardless of language. The ones with month names end up getting jumbled and as years go by, harder to deal with.

The above month named files end up like:

Apr08log.txt
Feb08log.txt
Jan08log.txt
Mar08log.txt
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Nice clean format

Post by steve »

TNETWeather wrote:The view log doesn't seem to do anything. Might be missing something there.
It does nothing at all? That's odd - I can't reproduce that.
BTW... The log format really should use the ISO Date Format both for internal data and logfile name format. That would make storing, sorting of both the data and files much easier.
Yes, dates have been a bit of a problem. Like most of the shortcomings, it's because when I originally wrote it, I wrote it just for myself because I didn't like anything else that was available, and I didn't give much thought to things like date formats. I can easily change it... but then there's the problem of converting all the existing files.

Steve
Steve
TNETWeather

Post by TNETWeather »

steve wrote:... and I didn't give much thought to things like date formats. I can easily change it... but then there's the problem of converting all the existing files.
Conversion shouldn't be that big of a deal. I'm sure that there are people out there that can assist with those types of things.

Example, instead of you creating a conversion tool for your upgrade, you can use a webpage to allow users to upload their logfiles and have them converted to the new format on the fly. This way, you would not need to write the conversion yourself.

The following is an example... it skips the upload part (log file is already there), but that step could be put back in...

Logfile Converter

**Updated** Accepts an uploaded file now...

The simple script converts the old format to the new format, making what ever changes necessary for the old log data to be converted to the new. Then lets the user download the converted file.

I like many others would most likely be more than willing to provide tools like that to assist in your project...
Last edited by TNETWeather on Sat 20 Sep 2008 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TNETWeather

Post by TNETWeather »

steve wrote:
TNETWeather wrote:The view log doesn't seem to do anything. Might be missing something there.
It does nothing at all? That's odd - I can't reproduce that.
Not really sure what to expect.

When I enter the Log, all I get is the following screen. Doesn't seem to make a difference what I touch, nothing shows in the window.

I'm guessing that when you select a date and hit update, it is supposed to show a log for that day??

The data directory looks like the following (sorted by updated time):

Not a big deal... I'm still exploring the program. Will start playing with the web stuff later today.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

TNETWeather wrote:The following is an example... it skips the upload part (log file is already there), but that step could be put back in...

Logfile Converter

**Updated** Accepts an uploaded file now...

The simple script converts the old format to the new format, making what ever changes necessary for the old log data to be converted to the new. Then lets the user download the converted file.

I like many others would most likely be more than willing to provide tools like that to assist in your project...
That looks good, but am I misunderstanding - have you actually written the converter, or is that a demo of the interface? Because I get

An error was detected in your upload.

Filename: Aug08log.txt
Upload Failed

when I upload a file.

Steve
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

TNETWeather wrote:I'm guessing that when you select a date and hit update, it is supposed to show a log for that day??
Yes, that's it, exactly. I think the problem is that I use the term 'log' for too many things in Cumulus. This log is an 'almanac' for you to type in your own notes about a particular day, together with any snow data.

Steve
Steve
TNETWeather

Post by TNETWeather »

steve wrote:
That looks good, but am I misunderstanding - have you actually written the converter, or is that a demo of the interface? Because I get

An error was detected in your upload.

Filename: Aug08log.txt
Upload Failed

when I upload a file.

Steve
Should actually work. It doesn't provide a download link to the converted file yet, but does output the data.

I only have one logfile to play with, but renamed it to your filename and it worked just fine there.

I just tried it with some other browsers to make sure that it wasn't a problem.

All I can think is that the file maybe to large? How big is it.

If you can send me a few via email I can give it a whirl here.