Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

current conditions on web site

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
laurent07
Weather Station: La Crosse WS2355
Operating System: Windows7

current conditions on web site

Post by laurent07 »

Hi,
I would like to show the current conditions on my web site and display an icon accordingly. Now, I've seen that you can enter the current conditions in a text box manually in Cumulus, but is there a way to change the value of the current conditions automatically when the weather is changing, like on wunderground.com web site. Where should I pick up this information from?
Thanks for your help.
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Re: current conditions on web site

Post by daj »

Does this help....

http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/Currentconditions.txt

Basically if you change the contents of the text file, it will update Cumulus and the webtag

OR are you asking if there is software that can change the contents automatically?
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
laurent07

Post by laurent07 »

Yes that's what I would like to know. Is there any software to change the content dynamically? Can Cumulus do it?
Or is there anyway to pick up the current conditions from wunderground.com and put it on my web page?
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

laurent07 wrote:Yes that's what I would like to know. Is there any software to change the content dynamically? Can Cumulus do it?
That's circular. The point of the field/web tag is for you (or an external process) to supply information to Cumulus so that it can appear on the display and/or on a web site. What would Cumulus put in there that it doesn't already make available via other web tags?
Or is there anyway to pick up the current conditions from wunderground.com and put it on my web page?
Like this? http://www.wunderground.com/stickers/
Steve
laurent07

Post by laurent07 »

Hi daj, just saw your site. You've got exactly what I'm looking for an icon showing the current conditions! (fog and cloudy at the moment). How did you do that?
laurent07

Post by laurent07 »

Thanks Steve for your help, but then how can I supply this information automatically?
Synewave
Weather Station: Watson W-8681
Operating System: Raspian

Post by Synewave »

If you are familiar with Javascript you could do as I do on my sites:

Current conditions: Feels cool, becoming a bit warmer, Gentle Breeze, dry

It changes to say it's raining of course. It also shows an appropriate icon.
laurent07

Post by laurent07 »

yes I saw your sites and that's exactly what I would like to achieve on mine. I'm not really familiar with javascript but i'm ready to work on this. Could you help? Thanks
Synewave

Post by Synewave »

I have a script that I just need to make a few modifications to. I'll send it to you as a PM, and if all goes well, I'll release it here. Be back later!
laurent07

Post by laurent07 »

ok thanks!
Synewave

Post by Synewave »

laurent07 wrote:ok thanks!
PM sent
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Post by daj »

laurent07 wrote:Hi daj, just saw your site. You've got exactly what I'm looking for an icon showing the current conditions! (fog and cloudy at the moment). How did you do that?
I use some PHP to examine the forecast text sent my Cumulus. If for example it contains the word 'rain' I set the image to an appropriate image. If the current time is between sunset & sunrise I have an 'evening' set of icons too.

I also do a few basic calculations based on temperature and humity to suggest it may be foggy and insert an approriate image.
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
nitrx
Weather Station: WH1080
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by nitrx »

daj wrote: I also do a few basic calculations based on temperature and humity to suggest it may be foggy and insert an approriate image.
If wind =zero and humiduty => 98% ??
MickinMoulden
Weather Station: WS-1081 with rain gauge mod
Operating System: Windows 7 & 1.9.3 b1059

Post by MickinMoulden »

I also do current conditions pictures.......but I don't do any PHP or Java. Very basic, very easy, but also very different ;). Please be aware that the pictures can be a bit.....risque?.....mostly at night time though (they change for night time).
I could of gone the traditional route of having weather icons, and I have a heap of them, but decided to be different. My mates thinks it's cool. I know that there will be some fuddy duddies that might complain, but my mates love it.
I am looking at increasing the complexity of the current conditions pictures.....but it increased the number of photo's you need ten fold! An example of the way it works: If I have high wind and dropping temps it will show that rain is coming (it could be as simple as this, but mine are more complex), so sometimes the current conditions can also be predictive, which is what I wanted. And that is just for 1 set of pictures. I have 5 area's that have their own set of pictures that change depending on the weather. I don't have to type anything in. It just does it.
In the future I would like to have it calculate conditions sooner (like 48sec?), rather than only when it uploads every 10min, also to include temp, pressure AND humidy trends over a (say 5 minute?) time period. Unfortunately, my dumb host doesn't allow .txt uploads, and thus can't do realtime! Silly hey!
Michael, Palmerston, NT Australia www.Palmerston-WeatherImageNo image? I'm offline!
ImageImage
StirlingScott
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Mac OSX - Parallels Windows XP

Post by StirlingScott »

I would like to add a current weather condition icon to my weather website but as usual i'm finding it difficult to get my head around various php scripts and how to modify them.

Currently im pulling in the information from an external weather website which I believe is using the information from a main airport 30 miles away. The script this website is giving me is also putting the temperature next to the current weather icon, im not happy with this as the temperature is usually wrong compared to the data on my website as its the temp from 30 miles away.

I would be happy to use the Metag from this airport though as most prevailing weather conditions come from that direction but im looking for a way to decode and display the current weather icon only.

Can anyone help and advise on how to do this or if there are any other places I can grab and display the weather condition icon from.

thanks

Scott