Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Alarm Feature Request

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
Electroguard
Weather Station: FineOffset (I think)
Operating System: XP SP3

Alarm Feature Request

Post by Electroguard »

Hi, would ther be any chance of including what I think should be a relatively simple enhancement but which could greatly extend functionality (eg: for people running Home Automation software)...

The addition of a 'Run Program' option (similar to the selectable 'Play Sound' option) for each of the alarms. This would enable Cumulus to be able to do things like turn frost heaters on to prevent freezing etc, or even to send sms or email warnings of serious alarm conditions.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Alarm Feature Request

Post by steve »

You can already send emails on alarms, using Toolbox. But a 'run program on alarm' facility in Cumulus would be possible, yes.
Steve
MickinMoulden
Weather Station: WS-1081 with rain gauge mod
Operating System: Windows 7 & 1.9.3 b1059

Post by MickinMoulden »

Hi Steve (this is my third attemp to post, Sanday.com has timed out on me twice!). I wish to say thank you for the great work you have done. I am new to weather stations, only having bought one in November for my birthday, making a rain gauge mod, getting Cumulus (thank’s Steve), setting all the alarms, and even getting Cumulus to give me voice confirmation using text-to-speech software. What a laugh! “The pressure is low. Is there a cyclone around or something?”
I have set the alarms due to the observations I have made for when a storm approaches. I live in the tropics at the top of Australia in the Northern Territory, and we are entering the cyclone season. I have noticed that when a storm is coming in the next 5 to 20 minutes the following weather patterns occur. The Pressure and peak gust increase fast, the temperature, heat index, and dew point drop quickly (dew point fastest), the humidity changes quickly, usually up but in the attachment you’ll see it drops fast first, then up fast, and the wind direction changes quickly (160 to 200 degree’s).
When the temp drops fast the alarm goes off, but it will also trigger if the temp rises quickly as well (storms NOT coming). I’ve tried putting a negative value in, but this doesn’t work as planed.
Also, the changes happen all within 5 minutes, and I have read that the trends for temp/pressure are calculated over 1 hour (and read elsewhere 3 hours). I would like to have the alarm trigger sooner so:
Suggestion 1: Have an option to have the temp/pressure trends calculated over a 5 minute period (and say 30 min period for other users) as well as the recommended 1 or 3 hours.
Suggestion 2: Have separate alarms for upward trend and downward trend.
Suggestion 3: Have an alarm and 5min/1hr/3hr trend for Humidity, and finally;
Suggestion 4: Have an alarm and 5 min trend for wind direction change (input in degrees, say 1 to 180).
These changes would be fantastic.
Look forward to your reply Steve (feel free to add your “Suggestion 5” ha ha).

Michael

http://www.wunderground.com/swf/Rapid_F ... INTPALME2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael, Palmerston, NT Australia www.Palmerston-WeatherImageNo image? I'm offline!
ImageImage
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Yes, these are all reasonable suggestions, please do create an enhancement request.
Steve
MickinMoulden
Weather Station: WS-1081 with rain gauge mod
Operating System: Windows 7 & 1.9.3 b1059

Post by MickinMoulden »

steve wrote:Yes, these are all reasonable suggestions, please do create an enhancement request.
Thanks Steve, I will do that.

Michael
Michael, Palmerston, NT Australia www.Palmerston-WeatherImageNo image? I'm offline!
ImageImage