Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

APRS

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
harrym1byt
Weather Station: WH 1081 (EasyWeather type)
Operating System: Win10

APRS

Post by harrym1byt »

Hi,

I'm a radio amateur and was quite involved with APRS in the early days, but now I have rather lost track of it...

What do I need to do to set it up in Cumulous?
I have put my callsign in the ID box and ticked the enable box.
How can I check the data is appearing on the web?
I'm behind a hardware firewall, do I need to open a port for it and if so what sort of port?
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: APRS

Post by steve »

Harry,

What you've done should be sufficient. It uses TCP port 14580 by default, and this is the recommended port, so you may need to open this up (outgoing) on your firewall. If 14580 doesn't work for you, port 23 is the alternative, and you can configure Cumulus to use this.

You can see your data here : http://wx.findu.com/<your ID> e.g. mine is at http://wx.findu.com/DW0688

If you don't see anything at that URL, you can check whether your packets are being rejected as faulty by looking here:

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/errors.cgi?last=24

Steve
Steve
biggej

Post by biggej »

Hello, I recently discovered there have been some changes in the protocol for uploading to APRS as an amateur radio operator. To upload to the rotate.aprs.net servers you must present a verification numer in the data stream each time you upload. You can however use the the CWOP servers without a verification number but substituting a -1. I suspect Steve is doing the -1 part under the covers of the software to make it work now. Today, after two weeks of wondering what was wrong, I did some research and found all this out. I then went to the Sandaysoft web site and found the new updated software with the CWOP server set as the default. Steve was ahead of the game as usual.

Needless to say it would be nice if "in you spare time" a data field was included in the aprs setup screen for the verification number. Thanks for the good work on Cumulus.
73, Jim
harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

Thanks for that, I would seem to have set it up correctly three days ago-but no fresh data has got through since then.

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=M1BYT
harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

I've just got it working again....

I don't know if the fact that I requested a password from Russ a few days ago made any difference, but the following settings are working for me at the moment...

Enabled = ticked
ID = M1BYT
Server = cwop.aprs.net
Port = 14580

I also opened port 14580 in my router.
biggej

Post by biggej »

Yes those temporary settings worked for me as well. When the ability to enter the verification code becomes available in Cumulus, we can the switch back to the rotate.aprs.net servers.
73, Jim (N0TKN)