Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus 1.9 run as a Windows service

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
Angile
Weather Station: National Geographic 265NC
Operating System: Windows XP Pro

Cumulus 1.9 run as a Windows service

Post by Angile »

I have setup my computer so that "Cumulus.exe" run as a "Windows" service. The service does start OK and so is the "Cumulus" application as seen in the "Task Manager". The issue is that "Cumulus" does not upgrade my FTP web pages. Does anyone solved this issue?

Ref. : How to run an application as a Windows service:
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=197
Angile
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Re: Cumulus 1.9 run as a Windows service

Post by daj »

This may help... https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 75&p=10030

Not sure why you would want to run it as a service -- You will be unable to interact with the Cumulus interface
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
Angile

Post by Angile »

When you run Windows and that your system is automaticaly updated, it can reboot by itself and wait until you open your personnal session. That is why, running Cumulus as a service, will restart your Cumulus application, without having to login and re-open a session.
Angile
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Post by daj »

I appreciate what a service does -- just can't think 'why' given you can not interact :?

Having said that I rarely look at Cumulus and rely more on the website of data. I also never allow auto-reboots ;)

I know Steve was planning Cumulus 2 as a Service for the data collection and also a front end for interaction -- of course that is all subject to change.
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

I just have auto-login set, with Cumulus in the startup folder. Works for me, but I appreciate that not everyone wants to use auto-login.
Steve
Synewave
Weather Station: Watson W-8681
Operating System: Raspian

Post by Synewave »

steve wrote:I just have auto-login set, with Cumulus in the startup folder. Works for me, but I appreciate that not everyone wants to use auto-login.
That's exactly what I do. Surely if you run it as a service you would lose the ability of being notified of FTP errors, or forcing a web-update for example. I guess all the configuration stuff i.e. internet file names, upload frequency could be set in the config files. I too rarely look at the Cumulus console (I use the website mainly), but don't think I could do without it.
Angile

Post by Angile »

Bad for security. Setting your system to auto-login, is at my point of view, not recommended because anybody that will power-up your desktop, will have access to all your datas and settings.

I would prefer being able to run Cumulus in background (as an auto-start service) and stopping occasionally this service when I need to access Cumulus application and it settings. Doing so, your desktop will act as a pseudo-server.
Angile
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Many years ago when I last used svrany, I remember using the 'interact with desktop' option to make the executable visible. Don't know if this is still viable?
serowe
Weather Station: WM918
Operating System: Win Server 2008 R2

Post by serowe »

daj wrote:Not sure why you would want to run it as a service -- You will be unable to interact with the Cumulus interface
Being realistic about it, once Cumulus is set up properly, there shouldn't be any reason to 'interact' with it - at least, that's the way I see it.
steve wrote:I just have auto-login set, with Cumulus in the startup folder. Works for me, but I appreciate that not everyone wants to use auto-login.
The problem with having Cumulus (or any program for that matter) set to start in the start-up folder is that someone MUST log in - whereas with a service, the program can start on computer re-start even if no one logs in.

I have my set up using a Windows 2008 server - it is part of my photography site (holds images once traffic has died down on them) - so I want the server to updated regularly. Plus, because it is in a secure location (well, under thehouse!) it has no keyboard, mouse or screen - if I need to get onto it I remotely log in. So, when an update is done, it reboots, the services run and, as part of those services, Cumulus just sits there nicely doing its work. I installed AlwaysUp (commercial app) to control Cumulus which does alllow me, if I want, to have it run as a desktop app when I log in as well - but I prefer not to. By running wconsole.htm over the internal network I can see what conditions are and ensure it is working OK.
Punctuation is the difference between 'Let's eat, grandma' and 'Let's eat grandma'
jonifili
Weather Station: Watson W8681
Operating System: Win XP - pro 32 bit

Post by jonifili »

Hi,

I am new to Cumulus, but no so much to IT, computers and windows.

My approach was a "middle of the road" one.

I created a limited user, that is always running, and where I have Cumulus running also (and feeding the weather underground).

This way I have access to the console and the data is updated. If the computer reboots, all I need is to log in remotely, and I start everything, or I ask someone at home to start the pc and log in as the user (Cumulus is in the startup folder of the user).

This user is part of the RemoteUser and the PowerUser and has full control of the cumulus folder.

If you need "step-by-step" instructions, just drop a line here.

Fair wind to all...
JF

http://www.casadasmaquinas.eu/cumulus
serowe

Post by serowe »

The only problem with that method is that if the PC reboots and you aren't immediately aware of it (Windows update at 3am for instance) or aftewr a power failure, you MUST have someone log in for the user to become active and your application to start running - thus potentially causing missing data etc.

Programs such as Always Up allow you to force the program to run as a start up service so it doesn't matter if you aren't there when the PC re-starts.

Mine, for instance, although connected to a UPS and set up to have a programmed shut down if power does go off (the UPS is able to power the Windos server, two NAS servers, 24 port managed switch, security PC and security cameras for 25 minutes) but the MoBo is also set up to automatically start when the power comes back on - so the only time it is ever off is if a power failure lasts for more than 20 minutes (my programmed shut down time).
Punctuation is the difference between 'Let's eat, grandma' and 'Let's eat grandma'
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

I use the limited user and a link to Cumulus in the Startup folder approach too, but also set the user to auto-login on system start-up. Being a laptop though (no power outages!) it has never rebooted other than when I initiate it after a patch update. The auto-login means I can remotely reboot from work/hotel etc if required and everything comes back up again.
serowe

Post by serowe »

Mark - the use of start-up still requires someone to log in though (been there, tried that!) that's why it needs to run as an adminisrative service
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

not if you set the username/password in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon ;)

Edit: Normally used during automated builds, to run a post Windows install script to preform configurations then logoff again. In this case you set the AutoLoginCount to 1 (or how ever many reboots your script requires) so it auto-disables after the first boot, but setting the count to 0 (zero) means it stays in effect for ever.
serowe

Post by serowe »

Except that leaves an open system doesn't it? i.e. a user is permanently logged in. The other methods (similar to the one(s) I described above) mean that the program runs as a service without anyone being logged in so, if anyone does get to the screen, they still have to log in to get access to programs, files etc.