Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Concentrate on Cumulus 1 or 2?

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.

Should I concentrate on Cumulus 1 or 2 for the next release?

Cumulus 1
26%
Cumulus 2
68%
Don't care
6%

Total votes: 272

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Concentrate on Cumulus 1 or 2?

Post by steve »

I'm spreading myself too thinly, and as a result neither Cumulus 1 or Cumulus 2 development is getting very far. This is not another "giving up" post, but I think that I should concentrate for the next few weeks/months on one or the other. I really have no feel for which most of you would prefer, so please vote so I can decide how to proceed.

The choice is basically between doing enhancements to Cumulus 1 or getting Cumulus 2 into a usable state.

Thanks,
Steve
George Richardson
Weather Station: Davis VP2 wireless

Re: Concentrate on Cumulus 1 or 2?

Post by George Richardson »

Steve,
I always thought the concept was to replace Cumulus 1 with Cumulus 2 which was to be more adaptable. I have personally been quite disappointed in the recent direction of so much speciality addition to Cumulus 1. I personally am running Cumulus 1.8.6 quite smoothly and have not even downloaded Cumulus 2 because I don't feel up to an Alpha release. That being said, I am anxious for 2 to at least get to the Beta stage so I can use it.
FWIW
George
nking
Weather Station: W-8681
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by nking »

Sorry to be a pain but ... To answer the question I need to know what is better technically in 2 over 1. I'm not fussed about the eye candy so instinctively I would probably vote for enhancements of 1 but this may not be the best long term direction :? It's very much like the great voting public and the political debate over which manifesto you believe :lol:
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

George Richardson wrote:I always thought the concept was to replace Cumulus 1 with Cumulus 2 which was to be more adaptable.
Yes, you're right. The original idea was that because Cumulus 1 was becoming difficult to enhance, and I realised that I had made a number of poor design decisions (not knowing what Cumulus was going to become), I would start again and "do it right". I also fancied a dabble with new development technologies. But I underestimated how much work it was going to be to get Cumulus 2 up to the same level of functionality that Cumulus 1 has, so I agreed that I would start doing enhancements to Cumulus 1 again. And this is how I find myself in the situation I'm in now, trying to develop two programs at once.

I should just decide for myself what I want to do, and do it, and to be honest I would go for stopping development on Cumulus 1 again. But I thought I would ask the question, and if the overwhelming majority wanted the "quick fix" of adding to Cumulus 1, I would go with that.
Steve
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

For me I am happy with Cumulus 1 as it is, I'd be happy for it to be moved into a maintenance status and you concentrate on getting Cumulus 2 up and running. I don't know but I suspect adding features to C1 is going to get harder and the code more difficult to maintain - best to start with the new tools and a clean slate (now you know what you're really doing! :lol: )
geoffw
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue

Post by geoffw »

mcrossley wrote:For me I am happy with Cumulus 1 as it is, I'd be happy for it to be moved into a maintenance status and you concentrate on getting Cumulus 2 up and running.
This is EXACTLY how I feel, Steve!
Geoff
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

nking wrote:Sorry to be a pain but ...
That's OK; I expected there to be questions.
To answer the question I need to know what is better technically in 2 over 1. I'm not fussed about the eye candy so instinctively I would probably vote for enhancements of 1 but this may not be the best long term direction :?
There's more to C2 than appearance - but I do believe that C1 is a bit 'old fashioned' in appearance. The data is more organised, it fixes the issues of C1 such as date/time formats, not being able to change units, making editing the data easier, making translations easier etc. And the theory is that it will be much easier to enhance C2 than it is with C1.

It has its disadvantages - it uses a great deal more memory than Cumulus 1. I didn't imagine that everyone would stop using Cumulus 1 on the day that Cumulus 2 was available, I knew that some people would want to continue to use C1, e.g. on lower-spec'd systems. Hopefully the split that I am doing into client and server will go some way to improving this, but the C2 server component will still use more memory than C1. One of the benefits of Delphi (C1) is its ability to produce tight, efficient programs.

But let me make it clear: I am not abandoning C2. A vote for C1 is a vote for change. Hold on, that's that other business. No, a vote for C1 is a vote for a few weeks/months of doing those enhancements which are easy to do and which will keep people happy while I then spend a few weeks/months knocking C2 into shape.

One of my reasons for asking this now is that my first year's subscription of the Telerik components (which C2 uses) is coming to an end. I have to decide whether to renew and continue to get updates, or whether instead to buy some improved components for C1.
Steve
gwheelo
Weather Station: WMR-88
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Post by gwheelo »

Steve -

Cumulus is a labor of love - we get to go along for a free and happy ride. Its up to you to decide which will give you the most pleasure, personal and intellectual development, and a happy life at home. I am certain no one on this forum will disagree or be unhappy with your decision.

George Wheelock
hills
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH1091
Operating System: Raspbian Buster

Post by hills »

geoffw wrote:
mcrossley wrote:For me I am happy with Cumulus 1 as it is, I'd be happy for it to be moved into a maintenance status and you concentrate on getting Cumulus 2 up and running.
This is EXACTLY how I feel, Steve!
Me too - or three :D
nking
Weather Station: W-8681

Post by nking »

OK, I have voted for 2. But sticking with my election parallel, there must be a few hundred Cumulus users and yet very few vote. Now I don't think it's apathy (as it is with politics), but because they have a product which does what they want and they are happy. So…. go for revolution rather than evolution citizen Smith. :)
mmorris1
Weather Station: VP2 Plus

Post by mmorris1 »

Well I never install 2 as it was not fully functional so I just stayed with 1 as everything worked even tho I don't use a lot of the programs features, what I needed worked fine.

So my vote is your vote.
silverview
Weather Station: Davis VP2

Post by silverview »

I think you should do whatever you feel most enthusiastic about. It is your hobby, not your job. Make it fun. The rest of us benefit from your generosity no matter what choice you make.
JennyLeez
Weather Station: La Crosse WS3083
Operating System: Windows XP, Win7 & Win 10

Post by JennyLeez »

Hi Steve.
I agree with Chris.
You do which you feel will challenge you and also be of more interest.
No matter what, us the users will appreciate any direction you take.

and thanks in advnce :)
Wairoa, Hawkes Bay, New Zealand Weather Station:
http://wairoa.net/weather/index.htm
Cumulus Topsites:
http://cumulussites.net/
Synewave
Weather Station: Watson W-8681
Operating System: Raspian

Post by Synewave »

I voted 'don't care'. But not because I don't care, I do.

I voted that option because as others have said, it's your hobby and we all benefit from your product. I also tend to agree that perhaps C1 should at least be in maintenance mode (no more enhancements, just emergency fixes) if you concentrate on C2.

Steve, go with whichever Cumulus you desire, and I look forward to the results of your decision.
geoffw
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue

Post by geoffw »

Looks like a "Hung Parliament" at the moment Steve! :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Geoff