Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Concentrate on Cumulus 1 or 2?

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.

Should I concentrate on Cumulus 1 or 2 for the next release?

Cumulus 1
26%
Cumulus 2
68%
Don't care
6%

Total votes: 272

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Concentrate on Cumulus 1 or 2?

Post by steve »

geoffw wrote:Looks like a "Hung Parliament" at the moment Steve! :lol:
Yes, but things will change after the big TV debate :)
Steve
bigmac
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless
Operating System: Raspbian wheezy

Post by bigmac »

My vote is for Cumulus 2, but then I have an OS WMR200 which 1 doesn't support but was slated for support in 2. So am I slightly biased?
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

nking wrote:there must be a few hundred Cumulus users and yet very few vote. Now I don't think it's apathy
Yes, there are over 500 users on the map, and over 1500 members of the forum. Not all of those will actually be using Cumulus, but it's still quite a low "turnout" - last time I looked, less than 100 people had 'voted' on the screen resolution poll. I think the main reason is that only a small percentage of users visit the forum regularly. But there should be enough votes to get a representative result.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

bigmac wrote:My vote is for Cumulus 2, but then I have an OS WMR200 which 1 doesn't support but was slated for support in 2. So am I slightly biased?
Ah, well, yes... I was going to mention that in my first post, but hesitated. I was thinking that if I did do some more C1 enhancements next, that WMR200 support might be one of them. But it will probably be easier for me to do it in C2.
Steve
bigmac
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless
Operating System: Raspbian wheezy

Post by bigmac »

Whichever is easiest and provides most satisfaction for you. I have tried several solutions for the WMR200, non have worked perfectly. The main issue being accessing the datalogger which, without support for, I have to leave a PC on 24/7 which I don't really want to do. The Meteohub/Sheevaplug combination comes closest but becomes quite an expensive solution for my pockets. The interesting development I posted in the OS sub forum may address the issue.....here's hoping :D
tomcatuk
Weather Station: ----> Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10 20H2 19042.685

Post by tomcatuk »

I'm all for C2 and voted in favour, leave C1 as it is but as somebody else suggested maintenance mode only.

I would request that we don't loose features that are in C1 ie aprs and twitter which I make use of.

I did try C2 and loved it but without a fully working version I never used it after that ie web uploads.

But whatever you decide Steve I won't be unhappy
Regards Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

tomcatuk wrote:I'm all for C2 and voted in favour, leave C1 as it is but as somebody else suggested maintenance mode only.
I'll continue to fix bugs in C1 whatever happens, but I think that once C2 is usable, whenever that is, I will probably stop adding features to C1. If someone chooses not to change to C2, they will have to accept that.
I would request that we don't loose features that are in C1 ie aprs and twitter which I make use of.
C2 will certainly have those in its first proper release. I can't think of any facilities that C1 has that I don't plan to include in C2. I was going to drop support for the 'easyweather.dat' station type, but I will probably try to replace this with a more general file-driven input method.
Steve
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Post by Gina »

I go with what many have said here - choose whichever you feel like you'd like to develop, Steve. I agree that C1 works well as is and from what you've said it seems to me that you would prefer to build on your experience of C1 and start again with an easier to enhance system. That choice would seem to be a good way to go. That is probably what I would do as a programmer.

I used Delphi some years ago for my software development and produced several freeware and shareware applications. For time critical projects it is (or was) a great language IMO. It enabled me to produce fast and tight code. But that was over a decade ago now and I would imagine there are better options from the ease of development perspective. I have now gone the "open source" (and free) route now (as you know) and am enjoying a new lease of life in programming. It's a nice "meaty" project to "get my teeth into" :lol:

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you luck and happiness in your project. It's your hobby - enjoy it :) :)
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

Steve,

I've voted for C2 not because I have a problem with C1 (it's great!) but because it seems to have the greater potential for extracting all sorts of data once I've got the required (MySQL?) skill set.

I run C1, C2, WeatherLink and VPLive on a Samsung NC10 netbook via VirtualVP and the system is totally stable even though C2 uses more memory.

You have a great eye for good-looking interfaces so I always look forward to any new stuff you produce. I hope my vote helps you make up your mind. C2 looks to have a clear advantage now. :)
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

malc-c
Weather Station: Maplin N96GY / WH1081
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Post by malc-c »

Steve,

Just voted, I love the look and feel of C2 and feel that IMO is the way forward. Just some comments or reasoning:

1) - C2 should have all the existing features that C1 has, else you'll get lots of disappointed users of C1 who would not migrate.
2) - You mentioned C2 uses more memory... I personally can't see the problem unless someone is still living 20 years in the past and running windows 3.11 on a 286 with 256MB of RAM. Modern PC's have come with 2GB of RAM and some variant of pentium 4 for several years now.
3) - C1 will still suit a lot of people, so should be maintained to fix bugs, but left in it's current version as far as enhancements are concerned. There are enough tools available to assist and enhance C1 if the user so wishes

However, at the end of the day, it's your life. I get the feeling that you would prefer to channel you energy into C2, but it's your decision, it's your money and it's your time that you are investing. We mere users simply reap the benefits ;)
Regards

Malcolm
keithatrochdale
Weather Station: WH1080PC
Operating System: XP

Post by keithatrochdale »

I too am happy with C1, but realise that C2 needs to now take priority.

A lot has been learned and now is the time to put it into the new program, so stop work on C1 (unless a major bug surfaces) and go for it with C2.

And thank you for all your hard work!!!!!
Nothing is foolproof, to a sufficiently talented fool . . .

WH1080PC Rochdale UK, 171m
GraemeT
Weather Station: La Crosse WS-2355 & WS-2306
Operating System: Windoze 7, 10, 11

Post by GraemeT »

Steve,
I pretty much agree with all of the previous comments.
I'd just like to add that I believe those who don't vote can be classed as 'don't care' or 'sit-on-the-fence' voters, which means they'll just go with whatever you decide to do.
I personally want to see what Cumulus 2 fully operational, and that obviously will require reduced work on C1.
Cheers,
Graeme.
sjukmidlands
Weather Station: Techno-Line WS2300
Operating System: Windows 8 Consumer Preview 64bit

Post by sjukmidlands »

I also agree with the above posts Steve - Cumulus 2 should be the way forward, so I and many others look forward to seeing how it develops - good luck and thanks!

Steve
andro700
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by andro700 »

Cumulus 1 is rock solid for me. So I would say work on Cumulus 2.

Chuck
burgla
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: XP SP3

Post by burgla »

geoffw wrote:
mcrossley wrote:
For me I am happy with Cumulus 1 as it is, I'd be happy for it to be moved into a maintenance status and you concentrate on getting Cumulus 2 up and running.

This is EXACTLY how I feel, Steve!
You are the ultimate arbitrator but my 2 cents worth is as above !!

:lol: :lol: