Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

comulus is "sleeping"-graph is flat

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
ilan72
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: windows 7 64bit

comulus is "sleeping"-graph is flat

Post by ilan72 »

from time to time it happens that my comulus likes to sleep. therefore, the graphes in the period of sleeping are flats and i may loose some important data ( min/max).
i cancelled the possibility of hybernation in my computer so, i guess that the problem is lack of memory in my computer( maybe, it's time to buy a new pc)
i am a bit frustrated as many times i want to leave comulus online all day but i fear that it will stuck and i will loose data, therefore i use to shut the program down in many occasions when i am not in front of the computer as nobody can sit and guard where it will stop.
by reading former topics i understood that there is a way to "save" the data that i lost. the data exists in the base station, no problem with the station.
can you direct me how to do it step by step?

thanks in advance for any answer!

you can see today's problem here: http://www.weather77.megabyet.net/trends.htm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kalle
Weather Station: WH-1080
Operating System: XP SP2

Re: comulus is "sleeping"-graph is flat

Post by Kalle »

Are you using a WH-1080 or using Fine offset?
I have had similar problems, about once a month one, and usually only one graph goes to sleep. It's been either the windspeed or the wind direction.
I have a dedicated PC running the Cumulus (1.8.8) and my WH-1080 is connected to it as well. Restarting Cumulus or the computer does not seem to solve the issue, restarting the weather station however seem to fix the problem. So I think the problem might be in the weather station hardware rather than Cumulus or the computer.
ilan72

Post by ilan72 »

no. i am not using wh-1080 or fine offset.
all data is freezed including humidity, temp etc....
i don't think it has any relation to the weather station . i connected it to another program ( just to check where the problem is) and it did read the lost data...

anyway, thanks of trying to solve the problem!
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

The diags files you've uploaded are very old - from February - can you upload the latest ones, please?

A common cause of data flatlining is when one or more of the figures that Cumulus reads from the station give invalid values. the data read when running live is different to that when you read 'old' data from the history, so the live data can be bad but the logger data OK.

To make Cumulus read old data from the logger, you need to edit the Timestamp= line in today.ini. Edit the file with Cumulus stopped and set the timestamp to the date and time you want to download from. Make sure you keep the date and time format the same.
Steve
ilan72

Post by ilan72 »

here is the file
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ilan72

Post by ilan72 »

i edited the time in today file but nothing happened... maybe i did it wrongly???
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

ilan72 wrote:i edited the time in today file but nothing happened... maybe i did it wrongly???
Could you upload your today.ini file and tell me exactly what you changed?
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

ilan72 wrote:here is the file
Thanks. Cumulus had a problem just before 02:00 which I think caused the thread which reads the data to crash:

2010-04-10 01:48:58 : Access violation at address 00679EA2 in module 'cumulus.exe'. Read of address D870017F
2010-04-10 01:48:59 : Privileged instruction

It traps the error and logs it, and it should carry on, but for some reason it wasn't able to.
Steve
ilan72

Post by ilan72 »

attached the today file.

i changed the timestamp to the time that the problem occured but nothing happened...
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

When did you do it? I can't find any of the diags files which show the time being changed. If it was after the time that you uploaded the diags files, could you upload them again, please?

Note that when you get it to work, it will duplicate all of the data that is already in the log files since that time, so you will have some tidying up to do, unfortunately.
Steve
ilan72

Post by ilan72 »

i changed it manualy some hours before i uploaded it here. i think i misunderstand here something. never mind, i think it will be better to close the program while i am away( or sleeping).

can these errors be a result of lack of memory? my computer is 5 years old with a memory of 512mb
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

ilan72 wrote:can these errors be a result of lack of memory? my computer is 5 years old with a memory of 512mb
I don't think so. Cumulus doesn't need very much memory. I can't actually work out what Cumulus was doing when this error occurred. There doesn't seem to be anywhere that just logs an exception message like that without any further information.
Steve
DrMD
Weather Station: NC265
Operating System: XP

Post by DrMD »

I had 3 flatlines happen this morning. No errors where reported.
I am running a bat file that grabs the realtime.txt file every minute and stores it under its date and time.
What I have noticed looking back through the files is when everything is working correctly files are time stamped
with the hours, minutes and seconds some where in the 50`s, at about 1 minute within a few seconds.
When the flat line happens the seconds are less than the 50`s and it appears that the realtime file tried to update
its self in less than a minute. For example in one of the flatlines the last good read time was 06:28:59. The next
read was at 06:29:39 and then it flat lines for the next 15 minutes and starts working again at 06:43:48.
Files after this are 06:xx:50. I did not see the realtime.txt in the cumulus directory to see if it was being updated or
not, timestamp wise.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

DrMD wrote:What I have noticed looking back through the files is when everything is working correctly files are time stamped
with the hours, minutes and seconds some where in the 50`s, at about 1 minute within a few seconds.
When the flat line happens the seconds are less than the 50`s and it appears that the realtime file tried to update
its self in less than a minute. For example in one of the flatlines the last good read time was 06:28:59. The next
read was at 06:29:39 and then it flat lines for the next 15 minutes and starts working again at 06:43:48.
Files after this are 06:xx:50. I did not see the realtime.txt in the cumulus directory to see if it was being updated or
not, timestamp wise.
I'm sorry, I can't follow that. Could you show me what you mean? And zip up the diags folder and attach it, please?
Steve
DrMD
Weather Station: NC265
Operating System: XP

Post by DrMD »

Steve the 11.rar is the directory of the realtime txt files my bat file(dos) grabs every minute.
The 3 flat graphs I noticed are at, 5:53,6:30 and 7:20. If you open the txt file just before
these times you`ll see everything running fine, note the time, then at these time and for the next several
minutes after no data is being up dated.

Darren