Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Current Conditions Entry Field

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
bingo99
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Win7

Current Conditions Entry Field

Post by bingo99 »

Is there a possibility that you could incorpoate a box on the display where the current weather conditions could be manually entered, and it would appear on the Website?

I have added it to mine, but this was done by directly editing the indexT.html file, and it would be nice to be able to enter it via the Interface.
Last edited by bingo99 on Sun 10 Jan 2010 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Current Conditions Entry Field

Post by steve »

It would just be a case of providing a new web tag, and a box somewhere to put the text - and I guess you would want it to be preserved over Cumulus restarts? That would require a bit more code to save it to cumulus.ini and restore it again. If I can find time...
Steve
bingo99

Post by bingo99 »

Time is always very precious Steve, there's never enough of it!

Keep up the good work!
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

The problem is that Cumulus has reached a sort of 'critical mass' where all of my time is taken up with answering questions, some of which are about real bugs in Cumulus, and many of which are not - even with the excellent help I get here. It doesn't leave any time for actually writing new stuff for either C1 or C2, which is fair enough, in a way - support has to take priority, in my opinion.

I've tried to do small, "easy" changes, but I've realised that this is really going to have to stop completely, because as demonstrated by the "snow depth" web tag that I added recently (a small, easy change), there's actually no such thing as a small, easy change, and I am now having to write quite a bit of code to fix the problems that adding that tag has caused.

Anyway, this reply is in danger of becoming TLDR so I'll stop :)
Steve
6719jason
Weather Station: La-Crosse WS3502
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by 6719jason »

steve wrote:The problem is that Cumulus has reached a sort of 'critical mass' where all of my time is taken up with answering questions, some of which are about real bugs in Cumulus, and many of which are not - even with the excellent help I get here. It doesn't leave any time for actually writing new stuff for either C1 or C2, which is fair enough, in a way - support has to take priority, in my opinion.

I've tried to do small, "easy" changes, but I've realised that this is really going to have to stop completely, because as demonstrated by the "snow depth" web tag that I added recently (a small, easy change), there's actually no such thing as a small, easy change, and I am now having to write quite a bit of code to fix the problems that adding that tag has caused.

Anyway, this reply is in danger of becoming TLDR so I'll stop :)
Steve, I must apologise for all this. Its my fault that you are now working hard to solve this issue. No more requests from WWS.
nking
Weather Station: W-8681
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by nking »

Steve - no need to respond to this, just something for possible consideration when considering this item. I had wondered if the weather diary could be used as an input source for current conditions, it would then serve a dual purpose :idea: .

I had also wondered how one can easily link the diary comments to the data for historical analysis, but this really is an option for when you've run out of other things to do with your life :lol:

Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

6719jason wrote:Steve, I must apologise for all this. Its my fault that you are now working hard to solve this issue. No more requests from WWS.
It's not your fault, Jason; I should have realised that it wasn't as simple as I thought it was.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

nking wrote:Steve - no need to respond to this, just something for possible consideration when considering this item. I had wondered if the weather diary could be used as an input source for current conditions, it would then serve a dual purpose :idea: .
Hmm, yes - I could make a web tag for the contents of the diary text. That would be a small, easy change. Oh, wait... :lol:
Steve
6719jason

Post by 6719jason »

steve wrote:It's not your fault, Jason; I should have realised that it wasn't as simple as I thought it was.
Okay Steve. Thats reassuring to know.
bingo99

Post by bingo99 »

Possible solution to this:

There is a field on Configuration>Station to add your weather station details to the web page, which is a simple text field & tag, if you could add a new field to the front console and tag (with perhaps a name of <#currcond>) it would send it to the website in the same way.

The alternative is to edit the indexT.html file to point to the webtag, and use it as current conditions

Added is a pic of the field I am referring to
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

bingo99 wrote: if you could add a new field to the front console and tag (with perhaps a name of <#currcond>) it would send it to the website in the same way.
Yes, that's what I meant when I said: "It would just be a case of providing a new web tag, and a box somewhere to put the text".

I suppose there is room in the bottom right hand corner (there is more on some people's display than you have on yours).

Would you expect the text to be preserved over Cumulus restarts?
Steve
daj
Operating System: Pi & MX

Post by daj »

I like the idea guys, but one wonders if it needs a little more thought.....What if you enter a condition and then for whatever reason are not at the station again for hours (or days).

Should the proposed webtag have the date / time automatically added to the condition text
OR
Should cumulus clear it after a sensible period of time if no input/change from the user

It would be a shame to show old and irrelevant data on the website.

Just a thought
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Excellent points, David. I don't think I'll rush into this.
Steve
6719jason

Post by 6719jason »

steve wrote:Excellent points, David. I don't think I'll rush into this.
I second that Steve and David.

I have been working on a 'Current Conditions' PHP which works using Statements and Data from Current Conditions.....
More of a 'NowCast' if you like.
Anyone interested should check out my homepage.
bingo99

Post by bingo99 »

steve wrote:
Would you expect the text to be preserved over Cumulus restarts?

No, just a simple text field to display on the web page.

On the other point about old data, sometimes the conditions don't change that often anyway (a sunny day, for example, not that we get many of those in the UK :) )