Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus 2 suggestions

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Cumulus 2 suggestions

Post by steve »

It's starting to get a bit hard to put major changes into Cumulus, and I want to start again from scratch using different development tools (for those interested, it's written in Delphi; I want to use C# for the new version).

So here are a few thoughts I've had about what it should/might have. Assume that the main features of Cumulus 1 will be retained.
  • Support for data loggers (no 24/7 running needed)
  • Display of additional sensors
  • Support for WMR-100 and WMR-200
  • Direct support for Fine Offset stations (no need for EasyWeather)
  • Support for LaCrosse stations (WS2300 etc)
  • Support for Davis WMII
  • Remote access to Cumulus for viewing data and configuration (e.g. across a local network/internet) - probably using a browser
  • Web pages generated by PHP or similar technology - Cumulus just uploads raw data
  • Data stored in database? MySQL?
  • Easier editing of stored data
I thought of others but my mind's gone blank. Please let me have your thoughts and suggestions. I can't promise to include everything.

Steve
Steve
TgT
Weather Station: Davis VP2 + Solar
Operating System: A20 TV box + CumulusMX

Re: Cumulus 2 suggestions

Post by TgT »

Great job you making steve! :mrgreen:

Great suggestions, but i was thinking about ppl who use bigger rain gauage, so rain factor or something liek that would be cool also.
Maybe csv data input and more webtags (windrun) :) Everything else is just neat stuff :D

ADDED:

As for "Data stored in database? MySQL?" think about simple sqlite database, as there are alraedy simple sqlite database editors anyway...
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I should have thought about the rain gauge factor; when I used my WMR-928, I modified the rain gauge to make the inlet bigger, and hence made it tip every .2mm instead of 1.0mm. I think I took out the code to allow that as it complicated things for the Davis, but I should consider putting it back in.

The current version does already have a web tag for windrun - today's windrun, anyway.

I was thinking that Cumulus 2 wouldn't have web tags at all. It would just upload all of the data as an XML file, and then the web pages would be in PHP and would read the data from that file.

I'll look into sqlite, thanks.

Steve
Steve
gwheelo
Weather Station: WMR-88
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Post by gwheelo »

Some suggestions:
1. Serial, USB, and IP input and the ability to broadcast data to a network IP as well as remote web IP/URL.

2. I am happily running Cumulus I as a service. The console is unfortunately hidden, which works for me, but it would be nice to run as a service and be able to pop up the console via a tray icon or other means.

3. The php/SQL idea is great - what ever reduces the network traffic. It will have to be easy to implement with well documented instructions as I imagin most of the Cumulus users are not geeks (just those which use the forum.)

4.Auto turn off of file processing and transfer when the file manipulation windows are open (maybe you do that already) or a filew processing/uploading turn on/off button on the console.

5. All gauges cabable of transparent background. Windspeed to show last and gust arcs. Needles for indicators (nice to have color choices). Real time windspeed gauge configurable for Kph, Mph, knots, etc..

6. 4 - 5 user definable tags or data values.

Thats all for now - perhaps too much,

GW
TgT
Weather Station: Davis VP2 + Solar
Operating System: A20 TV box + CumulusMX

Post by TgT »

- Logging Roll-over at 6UTC
philcdav
Weather Station: MyDEL WX2008 Mk2 Fine Offset
Operating System: XP and W7

Post by philcdav »

Hi Steve. a new feature in C2 that would be handy please.

An alarm thats triggered by a rapid change in air pressure.

Its something that radio amateur ops look for when hunting good VHF conditions.

Its a rapid change (user specified) rather than a level that i am after.

Regards - Phil
Phil - G0DOR
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Don't think I'm ignoring them if I don't reply - I'm taking note.

Steve
Steve
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Post by daj »

What about ....
  • triggers for certain events/non events.
    Example, if no data received from the weather station with 'x' period of time, then Cumulus will email you
  • Ability to create custom stats -- if you are implementing an SQL DB then the user could write simple SQL to sum/average figures which Cumulus processes and stores the results in custom fields.
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
gwheelo
Weather Station: WMR-88
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Post by gwheelo »

It would be great to see some customizable graphs - for instance today I needed a 24 hour humidity trend graph. A set of graphs - perhaps very generic - to apply period highs, lows, data item, data unit, etc. I think each of us know our audience and it would be great to fine tune the trends to meet their needs. The same ability for the gauges would be brilliant!

Yes - I wish for the moon as well!

GW
Nocky
Weather Station: WS-3081
Operating System: XP SP 3

Post by Nocky »

It would be great to have it work without having to have easyweather running as well, but I have only just started using this week and is an excellent program for the price :D but will make a donation to the cause when v2 gets up and going
Cheers
Paul
Western Australia
My Online Weather Station
Cheers
Paul
Western Australia

broadstairs
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1003/GW1103/GW2000
Operating System: Windows 7 and Linux

Post by broadstairs »

Being very new to this I'm still findng my way around this software. However the data logger retrieval is an essential if Cumulus is to replace my existing software. Also I'd like to see a way of separating the data being stored from the main program directory. I like to keep changing data out of the partition which is used for programs. Probably an option for MySQL would be a good addition. I think I'd concentrate on sorting out these issues first before adding loads of smaller things like specific graphs. Once you have a database you can always do any graphs you need with PHP and JPGraph. I've seen how other programs can grow like Topsy not always maintaining stability and data validity.

Stuart
Paul C
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with solar
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Paul C »

Building up some good ideas now. Agree with the data logger. While I was on holiday recently Cumulus was accidently exited so when I returned I have no data for a 10 day period. I think ?? if it had been able to read my data logger it could have downloaded the info and fill the gaps ?

Other things from my point of view
1. Rainfall - simple edit function without going into the data files. I have tried to get my Davis raingauge to be as similar as possible to my official Met gauge but its normally out,l sometimes by an odd 0.2mm or so but occassionally by 1-2mm. If I could edit this data a more accurate figure could be achieved. Some may say I should just allow the two gauges to carry on, but I would prefer the rainfall at least to reflect my Met gauge

2. When cumulus is minimsed to the taskbar ? instead of showing up as "Cumulus" could it show up the brief weather details and update itself, eg SW 0.9knots +12.3c- saves bringing the whole programme up ?

3. Battery Indication of Sensor ( VP2 ) if possible- I am not sure if this data is transmitted to the console or not, sounds a good idea though :D

4. Signal Strength of Sensor to Console - important for me as its range is at its limit and needs adjustment now and again. If I can readily see its falling away I could move to prevent missed data

5. Report Function
To add Number of Rain Days of 25mm + dates (1000-1000hrs) 0900-0900hrs winter
Number of days over 0.2mm
Number of days over 1.0mm
Number of days over 5.0mm
Pressure at 0900hrs day - monthly mean

I,m sure there may be a few more !!

tks
Paul C
Brampton, Cumbria, UK
117m ASL
http://www.bramptonweather.co.uk
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Paul C wrote:Building up some good ideas now. Agree with the data logger. While I was on holiday recently Cumulus was accidently exited so when I returned I have no data for a 10 day period. I think ?? if it had been able to read my data logger it could have downloaded the info and fill the gaps ?
How far back you would be able to retrieve would depend on your logging interval. It holds 2560 entries, so at 1-minute intervals, that's about 42 hours. 5 minute intervals would give you about 8 days, and so on.
1. Rainfall - simple edit function without going into the data files. I have tried to get my Davis raingauge to be as similar as possible to my official Met gauge but its normally out,l sometimes by an odd 0.2mm or so but occassionally by 1-2mm. If I could edit this data a more accurate figure could be achieved.
Is it on a daily basis that you do the editing? I was planning on putting in an edit facility where you could adjust monthly (and hence annual) totals. I suppose I could extend this to daily if need be.
2. When cumulus is minimsed to the taskbar ? instead of showing up as "Cumulus" could it show up the brief weather details and update itself, eg SW 0.9knots +12.3c- saves bringing the whole programme up ?
Yes, I like that one. :)
3. Battery Indication of Sensor ( VP2 ) if possible- I am not sure if this data is transmitted to the console or not, sounds a good idea though :D
I was going to say that it doesn't send that, but having checked the documentation it seems that it may do. I'll investigate.
4. Signal Strength of Sensor to Console - important for me as its range is at its limit and needs adjustment now and again. If I can readily see its falling away I could move to prevent missed data
I don't seem to be able to access the signal strength.
5. Report Function
Yes, I should think so.

Steve
Steve
garytx
Weather Station: Davis VantagePro 2 Plus w/FARS
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by garytx »

The VP doesn't send signal strength, but does transmit the reception percentage (with perfect reception being 100% and declining from there.)
Paul C
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with solar
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Paul C »

steve wrote:
Paul C wrote:Building up some good ideas now. Agree with the data logger. While I was on holiday recently Cumulus was accidently exited so when I returned I have no data for a 10 day period. I think ?? if it had been able to read my data logger it could have downloaded the info and fill the gaps ?
How far back you would be able to retrieve would depend on your logging interval. It holds 2560 entries, so at 1-minute intervals, that's about 42 hours. 5 minute intervals would give you about 8 days, and so on.

Right I thought it was alot longer ? - I,m currently at work so cant check my console, fairly sure I have it set at 1 minute intervals. Perhaps it was the Wunderground upload feature that strated to upload all the missed data when I switched the programme back on ?
1. Rainfall - simple edit function without going into the data files. I have tried to get my Davis raingauge to be as similar as possible to my official Met gauge but its normally out,l sometimes by an odd 0.2mm or so but occassionally by 1-2mm. If I could edit this data a more accurate figure could be achieved.
Is it on a daily basis that you do the editing? I was planning on putting in an edit facility where you could adjust monthly (and hence annual) totals. I suppose I could extend this to daily if need be.

tks - daily editing would be helpful for me
Yes, I like that one. :)
I was going to say that it doesn't send that, but having checked the documentation it seems that it may do. I'll investigate.
I don't seem to be able to access the signal strength.
5. Report Function
Yes, I should think so.

Steve
tks
Paul
Paul C
Brampton, Cumbria, UK