Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus 2 suggestions

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
Paul C
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with solar
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Cumulus 2 suggestions

Post by Paul C »

garytx wrote:The VP doesn't send signal strength, but does transmit the reception percentage (with perfect reception being 100% and declining from there.)
Yes that what I mean, tks. But I,m sure is something else it transmits - I will have to check when I am home :D
Paul C
Brampton, Cumbria, UK
117m ASL
http://www.bramptonweather.co.uk
Super-T
Weather Station: wh-1081
Operating System: Weather Laptop - Windows 10 Pro

Post by Super-T »

Some of the features in Easyweather could be quite handy in Cumulus 2. Such as the format for viewing data, even though it stretches across 2 screens, and the ability to export that data in different formats.
When displaying graphs, it would be handy to be able to set the time and value parameters.
dane
Weather Station: Rosenborg 68700
Operating System: Win10 Ult., 64-bit, RaspberryPi

Post by dane »

Suggestion from a non-British user: please support decimal commas & periods for thousands separators!
Cumulus works beautifully if I set my system to British standards - but crashes when I use my normal Danish standard.
Ib
http://www.ibtest.dk/cumulus/index.htm
Ib
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

dane wrote:Suggestion from a non-British user: please support decimal commas & periods for thousands separators
Yes, it's a pain, isn't it? I use commas to separate the values in the data files, which is one problem, and I use a mixture of routines for converting from floating point numbers to strings (and back), some of which always use decimal points and some use the regional settings. So it all goes horribly wrong with decimal commas.

Cumulus 2 uses an SQLite database to store its data, and obeys regional settings, so the problem will go away if I ever finish it.

Steve
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Super-T wrote:Some of the features in Easyweather could be quite handy in Cumulus 2. Such as the format for viewing data, even though it stretches across 2 screens, and the ability to export that data in different formats.
This would all be included as part of saving the data in a database.
When displaying graphs, it would be handy to be able to set the time and value parameters.
The Select-a-graph facility allows this, or is that not what you meant?

Steve
Steve
Super-T

Post by Super-T »

I guess the Graphs auto size for the Y axis but setting the X axis could be handy. If you can already set it then I haven't noticed it :-)
All's been going well with this latest version.
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstat ... IAUCKLAN33
HotRod
Weather Station: Oregon Sientific WRM200
Operating System: Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

Post by HotRod »

Separate translation files so that it easily can be translated. Could I suggest using JRC Editor as a translation tool.
I have been doing some translations with this tool and it's really good (and free :D )

The most of these suggestions are really good, especially the part with PHP and mySQL. This would ease the work with merging it with a portal system (CMS).

Back to the JRC Editor - I haven't got the downloadable version to work yet, but I got a modified version that works if anybody is interested.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Super-T wrote:I guess the Graphs auto size for the Y axis but setting the X axis could be handy. If you can already set it then I haven't noticed it :-)
The 'normal' graphs you can just choose either the last 12 hours or the last 24 hours.

But with 'Select-a-graph' you can choose any range you want for the X axis.

Steve
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

HotRod wrote:Separate translation files so that it easily can be translated. Could I suggest using JRC Editor as a translation tool.
A possibility eventually, I guess.

I looked up JRC Editor, but isn't it just for Java apps?

Steve
Steve
Super-T

Post by Super-T »

It's always amazing how I can use software and not see important features :-)

Must be age!
HotRod
Weather Station: Oregon Sientific WRM200
Operating System: Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

Post by HotRod »

steve wrote:
I looked up JRC Editor, but isn't it just for Java apps?

Steve
I'm not sure, I have used it to translate a few java apps, but I would think it could work for other apps as well.
The oonly thing it does is to save translations with ext. ".properties"
So I don't see why php could not be directed to .properties lang files instead of .php lang files. or even just rename the files it produces into .php

You follow my drift?
arthurhh
Weather Station: Davis VP pro 2
Operating System: Win7

Post by arthurhh »

Oh boy what an invitation :)

I use carter lake templates so I would love to see support for the tags/txt files used by that, of course to remain apart from that other software they could be called something different
http://tokoroa.dyndns.org/ Main Site

IT Fixer
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

arthurhh wrote:I use carter lake templates so I would love to see support for the tags/txt files used by that
Yes, I had a quick look at those, I think someone else mentioned them. I don't think it would be a problem.

Steve
Steve
TNETWeather

Post by TNETWeather »

One of the issues that normally arises is that the program itself starts to get unwieldy. This then starts to cause system problems when more and more features are added causing bloat.

One way of dealing with that is to break the system into main components like...

1) Data acquisition module. This module simply obtains data from the weather station and stores it in a simple ISO data formatted raw format. The format of the data should remain the same regardless of user desired format so that it is easy to import and use in other external applications. The module itself, does little else but obtain the data and store it.

2) Database module. For those that want to have their data stored in some sort of database, this module reads the raw data and stores the information in the format the user has chosen in their setup.

3) Display and Report module. Displays the current status of the system, using the users desired formats. Provides reports of what has been collected as needed in the formats the user has setup.

4) Export Module. This module provides for export of data to various different services, websites etc... XML format is okay but a bit verbose. If you break up the data into different files based on how often the data is updated you can minimize the amount of data that is sent though. Each system like CWOP, Wunderground etc... created as a simple plugin, makes it easy to add new exports wtih minimal programming.

This type of modularity allows the system to run in a minimal configuration for those that simply want to collect the data and provide the output on their external website (using PHP or other dynamic web generation.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I had in mind that at the very least I would change to a client and server model, effectively 1 and 3 in your list.

Steve
Steve