Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Stopped reading data from the outside transmitter

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
pspringett
Weather Station: Aercus
Operating System: windows 10

Stopped reading data from the outside transmitter

Post by pspringett »

I was doing fantastically with my weather station ad the cumulus software on windows 7. And then I moved cumulus and all my data to a enw windows 10 machine, and now I'm hitting problems.

It seems like the indoors receive is not automatically reading data from the outside transmitter. I can trigger it to read it (by pressing the down button on my inside receiver, and it duly updates the outdoors temperature, but otherwise stays the outdoor temperature stays unchanged, ditto the rain gauge.

I've set the station configuration on cumulus to update every one minute, and have started to look at cumulus.ini to see if it really has set that, but its not clear.

DataLogInterval=0
and
EWInterval=0.00100000004749745

But then its unclear to me that the station configuration is actually written back to the station (probably it is?). Ive not worked out what units the DataLogInterval is so am not sure whether an interval of zero means don't update, or what really. And leaving it overnight doesn't show up as any memory being used.

I've changed batteries in both the outside transmitter and the inside receiver and reset everything, without getting any other joy.

Strangely if I leave the USB connected and cumulus running, it triggers an error or new record or seeing 255.6 millimetres of rain withina minute or so (i've not measured that), which makes me think the USB link is not being interpreted correctly, and that woudl show up when i moved to the windows 10 machine. But that is pure speculation.

I dont do any web stuff.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Phill
pspringett

Re: Stopped reading data from the outside transmitter

Post by pspringett »

Just checked and DataLogInterval=0, does mean every minute.

My debug.log file has a lot of entries saying ***** Logging Disabled ****.

Don't know if that means just extra debug logging is disabled or my data logger is disabled.

Phill
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

You should check your Cumulus.ini for "UseDataLogger".

If it is set to 0 it is disabled i.e. as far as Cumulus is concerned it doesn't exist, which seems to reflect you log messages.

To use the logger it has to be set to 1 i.e. enabled so Cumulus looks for new entries.
David
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

As for the unreliability, it could be the USB port on the new machine is electrically "noisier" than the old one.

Does the console get reliable reception if you unplug it from the computer?
If so, you could try a new higher quality USB cable, or putting ferrite cores on the existing cable.
pspringett

Post by pspringett »

Thanks for your thoughts. I reached the point where my display just wasn't updating. A factory reset seems to have solved that, so now the display changes sensibly.

But the actual graphs shown on cumulus are strange and wrong, and if its left plugged into the USB for a minute or two, cumulus reads a money
rain rate of 240+. Which may mean that the USB is problematic.

In general though it seems to update the Oct20Log.txt file correctly (or example). Well, that's actually not true. The aercus receiver has recorded rain today, but that hasn't been written to the file, and the temperatures are way too high (not even slightly close).