Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Can I read the error log?

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
g0gcd
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH3080 (Solar)
Operating System: Windows 7

Can I read the error log?

Post by g0gcd »

Using 1.9.4 (1099) successfully and have built a Windows processor to capture and process the data files to enhance my web site a bit (such as saving/presenting archives, handling news/events etc)
I can't see how to read the error log. I have the web tags for 'error flag set' and 'last error was' but short of building an outboard log file of those entries, I can't see how to read the error file. Any clue as to where it is, please?
My best guess is ..\Cumulus\Diags\Cumulus.nnn files, where the errors such as FTP timeout are reported but they are hidden in a lot of routine status messages and are difficult to extract. The GUI does it - is it from these files or another tucked away somewhere?
Thanks for any leads/ideas
John

PS After experimenting, I found that shutting down Cumulus, when it has a populated error list, results in those errors being forgotten. It suggests, to my mind, that the GUI error log screen is therefore held in the running program's variables, rather than in an external file. The approach that I'm going to try now is to use AutoIT (a Windows manipulation utility) to screen scrape the open error log at regular intervals. It's very Heath Robinson but I've had success doing this with other Windows programs, so it might be a work around. I'll also try reading the /diag/ files to see if I can extract the info without doing screen scraping.... because that's much tidier...
At least I have the advantage that no-one will fiddle with the Cumulus server - it's a dedicated laptop that's running Cumulus (and my utility) exclusively, folded up, in a cupboard. No sticky fingers!
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Can I read the error log?

Post by mcrossley »

There is no separate error log. Cumulus retains the last error it encountered and you can display it using the web tag. The log file contains all the errors plus lots of other stuff.