Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus is creating wt_data_inc.phptmp and not uploading. (WeatherBlues 2 Template)

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
Eaton Bray Weather
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Windows 7 Pro SP1

Cumulus is creating wt_data_inc.phptmp and not uploading. (WeatherBlues 2 Template)

Post by Eaton Bray Weather »

Hello, I have tried to search for an answer to this throughout Cumulus, WeatherByYou and Davis forums but I cannot find one. A few have come close, but are not the same as my problem.

I believe that I have all of my Site/Options set correctly in Cumulus, and I am pointing to the correct file and location in the Files tab. My problem is, that Cumulus is writing a new wt_data_inc.php file and wt_month_inc.php file, but adding 'tmp' at the end. Cumulus connects to my serve, states 'Uploading' and no errors occur, but does not send a file. Or, if it does, I have no idea where it is going. From searching, I am finding that the 'tmp' extension means that the transfer was unsuccessful and is still pending.

If I rename the wt_data_inc.php file and wt_month_inc.php file file by removing the 'tmp', I am able to upload them, perfectly, with FileZilla using all of the same settings that I have set in Cumulus. My hosting provider tell me that the problem is not at their end, as evidenced when I use FileZilla. What is going wrong? Why is Cumulus creating the wt_data_inc.php file and wt_month_inc.php files instead of overwriting the existing ones?

Thank you,

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Re: Cumulus is creating wt_data_inc.phptmp and not uploading. (WeatherBlues 2 Template)

Post by water01 »

Try ticking the UTF-8 box as if my memory serves me right this sometimes caused a zero length file to be uploaded. The other things to try are "Use FTP rename" and take the tick out of "Use Active FTP Mode" in Internet settings. FileZilla usually defaults to passive connections and as that works it is possible the last item is causing the problem. Usually you only have "Active" set if your hosting site specifies it.
David
Eaton Bray Weather

Re: Cumulus is creating wt_data_inc.phptmp and not uploading. (WeatherBlues 2 Template)

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. Yep, I agree with the Active/Passive setting. Those screenshots show just one of the MANY combinations I have tried, as everyone recommends trying something different. It doesn't seem to matter what I try, the top files are still written, and nothing is uploaded.

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

In your FileZilla screenshot the path to your web area is /eatonbrayweather.co.uk/public_html/. Have you tried using this in your Cumulus settings, rather than public_html ? Probably won't make a difference, but it's worth a try. Also, could you show the contents of public_html in a screenshot? The one you supplied is only a partial listing.
Freddie
Eaton Bray Weather

Thank Freddie,

I set up a new line under Internet Settings>Files and sent a test image to follow. Under Remote Filenames, I tried every combination of path names to see where it was going. Once I saw that it was creating a new public_html folder in the domain (higher than my site name !?!?), I was able to adjust the paths accordingly. Sure enough, my wt_data_inc files were up there as well. It's as if the Directory setting in Sites/Options was being completely ignored. I then put 'eatonbrayweather.co.uk/public_html/wt_data_inc.php' as the Remote Filename, instead of just public_html, and it worked. The files are now sent to the correct place. Odd, but it works.

Thank you to both of you.

Steve
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

Glad you got it sorted. It's always something simple like path or mode. The next thing I was going to suggest was switching on FTP logging, which would've revealed the problem. One to remember should you have a problem in the future.
Freddie
Eaton Bray Weather

So.... the TRANSFER side of things seems to be working now, but this still hasn't solved the issue of the tmp files.

Cumulus is writing a new file called 'wt_data_inc.phptmp' but not OVERwriting the existing 'wt_data_inc.php' file. It is then sending the original 'wt_data_inc.php' file by ftp, which contains old data (getting older every time) so the website never looks updated. It states 'Conditions at local time... ' and then the time of the datestamp on the (never-updated) 'wt_data_inc.php' file. In this case, it is always Friday 24th July at 13:14 (which is the last time I had to manually remove the 'tmp' and rename the file before sending it to my server by Filezilla.

Any ideas why Cumulus is not updating the 'wt_data_inc.php' file correctly?

Thank you,

Steve
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Post by sfws »

reply deleted
Last edited by sfws on Sun 26 Jul 2020 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eaton Bray Weather

Yep, that's all fine and dandy regarding the directories. As I said, conflicting instructions between all concerned but sorted now.

The larger problem is the tmp file and what is being written to it. I have again, just renamed the latest tmp file to remove the 'tmp', converting it back to php. I then opened it in an editor to see what was being written to it. So the new tmp file created on 25th July 2020 at 15:20, contains data from the weather station as at 24th July 2020 at 13:14. From this information, I am surmising that the file is going to the server ok, and tmp is being renamed to remove the tmp, but is the site still shows old weather, because Cumulus is always writing old weather (stuck at 24/7/20 @ 13:14) into the file.

It looks like there is no tag processing taking place.

Any ideas?

Steve
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

I don't want to confuse further, but are you sure the wt_data_inc.pho and wt_month_inc.php are (T)emplate files with webtags?

Enjoy,
Paul
VP2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https:// komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm
Eaton Bray Weather

Hi Paul, thanks for your reply.

Yes they are. They are the files that the template says to ftp through Cumulus. Index.php then reads the tags/info from them. All of the information appears on the page, it's just not current information being written TO the files.

Steve
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Post by sfws »

reply deleted
Last edited by sfws on Sun 26 Jul 2020 4:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
PaulMy

Post by PaulMy »

I then opened it in an editor to see what was being written to it. So the new tmp file created on 25th July 2020 at 15:20, contains data from the weather station as at 24th July 2020 at 13:14. From this information, I am surmising that the file is going to the server ok, and tmp is being renamed to remove the tmp, but is the site still shows old weather, because Cumulus is always writing old weather (stuck at 24/7/20 @ 13:14) into the file.
As you surmised this indicates the webtags have not been processed. I presume you have verified that the wt_data_inc.php template files has the <#webtagname> in the proper format, etc.
As a test could you try Include Standard Files in Internet settings and see if these are being processed and FTP?

Enjoy,
Paul
VP2+
Eaton Bray Weather

Hi Paul,

Thanks again for your reply. Just to follow up, apparently the issue was a 'permissions' one. The IT guys who manage the school network said that they found an issue with the software not having permission to write in folders on the C: drive. The renaming test that I did highlighted it to them. So, all good now and the ftp is working fine, the tag processing is fine, and the website is updating. Thank for all of your help, I really appreciate it.

Steve
PaulMy

Post by PaulMy »

Glad you have it resolved. And your web pages look good.

Enjoy,
Paul
VP2+