Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

cumulus 1 works very well today

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
Dags
Weather Station: fine offset with uv light sensor
Operating System: windows 10 64 bit

cumulus 1 works very well today

Post by Dags »

:lol: old stuff that works well is most desired when it's not connected to the internet
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Re: cumulus 1 works very well today

Post by PaulMy »

But if you can also get it on the internet http://www.komokaweather.com/weather/co ... sframe.php :clap:
and the new as well www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.php :P

Enjoy,
Paul
VP2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https:// komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

Dags wrote: Tue 05 May 2020 11:07 am :lol: old stuff that works well is most desired when it's not connected to the internet
Cannot see the point of this post?
David
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Post by sfws »

water01 wrote: Tue 05 May 2020 1:33 pm Cannot see the point of this post?
I believe Dags is just celebrating he has Cumulus 1 working without a need for it to be continuously connected to the internet.

(Edit, additional MX specific comments removed as not relevant to topic title)

Last edited by sfws on Sat 04 Jul 2020 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bookworm

Post by HansR »

It's just a nostalgic remembrance of the old monolithic past world, sort of Once there was, Once upon a time, Long ago a fairy tail memory for a film by Sergio Leone with some suspense music on the background by Ennio. Days of future past, back to the future wishes. Those days when you thought you controlled the world because the program on your computer actually worked. Those days... are gone. And Cumulus 1 will eventually disappear. Like we all.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

4013 days running Cumulus1 here. I’m sure I’m not alone in sticking with C1 given MX won’t run on XP. It suits my needs so I don’t see me ever changing.

http://www.cheadlehulmeweather.co.uk/
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

sfws

Post by sfws »

Although I have made the swap to MX, I know of plenty of others still using Cumulus 1, and like you, Ray, happy with what it provides. Okay, the original real-time wind no longer works and now the year cut off is 2030!

Despite all the advantages MX has with new features, the number of questions constantly appearing in this forum confirms that people find MX initially harder to set up and use. Also, changes in the library software (I'm including Mono in that) used, add frequent new MX versions with Mark adding new features, so using MX needs a lot of maintenance at the moment.

I'm not as convinced as Hans that C1 will disappear, lots of people (even if not on XP) believe "if it works for me, why change".
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

The 2030 cutoff only applies to the drop down within Cumulus doesn’t it? I never access NOAA stuff that way preferring to read it on my website. Presumably that is unaffected by the limitation in Cumulus?

Unless someone comes around and nicks my netbook Cumulus 1 will still be running here for a long time. I’ve looked at MX websites and they’re very good but I’m happy with what C1 gives me. Plus, MX seems to be more complicated to setup and maintain.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

sfws

Post by sfws »

RayProudfoot wrote: Tue 05 May 2020 6:35 pm The 2030 cutoff only applies to the drop down within Cumulus doesn’t it?
Yes, you can type any year into those View month, View year, View period screens, so what years are in drop down does not matter, but some people prefer selecting from a drop down instead of typing in 4 digits!

I can't guarantee your netbook will last 20 more years, and a fault might develop in your weather station by then, but Cumulus 1 will still work the same if you still have hardware to run it.
water01

Post by water01 »

sfws wrote: Tue 05 May 2020 6:05 pm Although I have made the swap to MX, I know of plenty of others still using Cumulus 1, and like you, Ray, happy with what it provides. Okay, the original real-time wind no longer works and now the year cut off is 2030!

Despite all the advantages MX has with new features, the number of questions constantly appearing in this forum confirms that people find MX initially harder to set up and use. Also, changes in the library software (I'm including Mono in that) used, add frequent new MX versions with Mark adding new features, so using MX needs a lot of maintenance at the moment.

I'm not as convinced as Hans that C1 will disappear, lots of people (even if not on XP) believe "if it works for me, why change".
I am not at all convinced that is going to happen as at sometime Microsoft is going to withdraw the .NET version that Cumulus 1 relies on and at that point to put it in the vernacular you are "stuffed". Also XP especially, even stuck behind a Firewall in the router' is increasingly liable to be hacked as the software used can get round firewalls nowadays is getting increasingly sophisticated and XP has little or no protection against intrusion, and again you will be "stuffed".

All I can say is that you had better have good backups and a plan in the next year or two to move to Windows 10 and CumulusMX or you will be waving goodbye to years of data. On a Windows environment CumulusMX is not at all hard to install (no involvement of Mono at all) and I would encourage everyone to do so.
David
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

@water01,

You talk as though my netbook is open to the world. It isn’t. The data is hosted on a professional web service and my netbook is behind a firewall on a good router. Sure, the GRU could hack it if they had a mind to but I’m confident it will stay as secure in the future as it has up to now.

The .NET version in use on my netbook has remained unchanged for years. XP hasn’t been updated in years. Even if Microsoft withdrew support for .NET how would that affect my website?
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

water01

Post by water01 »

But the netbook is not going to last for ever and your only option then is to upgrade, so why not do it now when it is in my opinion easy to do on Windows 10 and MX. Need help I am willing.
David
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

A cooling fan failed in February. I took it to a local repair shop and they replaced it. They have lots of second-hand netbooks when it needs replacing.

Things tend to fail when they are turned off and on. I do that very rarely. Thanks for the offer but I’m staying with Cumulus1 for as long as I can. What features am I missing in MX?

It’s SQL Database driven I believe. No desire to go down that route at all. Text files are easy to maintain and my backup is also backed up.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

@water01, how come your station data only goes back to early February? You’ve been around a lot longer than that.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

water01

Post by water01 »

It’s SQL Database driven I believe.
Common misconception. It has MySQL built in if you wish to use it but other than that it's file structure is exactly the same as Cumulus 1 hence why it is so easy to move your data from one program to the other. All the text files exist and can be backed up as simply as you do today.

What you are missing are all the updates that Mark is adding to CumulusMX making it look like a 2020 program e.g. "feels like" etc. There are not many features that were in Cumulus 1 that are not in CumulsMX today (not true in its early days) and there are a great deal more features in CumulusMX that are not in Cumulus 1 (e.g. newer weather stations are supported etc.).
David