Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus 1.8.8 and WeatherUnderground winds

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Cumulus 1.8.8 and WeatherUnderground winds

Post by steve »

What I really meant was a test with Cumulus sending the average value using the 2m average parameter (which it currently doesn't use) and continue to send the instantaneous value using the instananeous parameter, to see if WU did something different when it also had the average to play with. But it sounds like you're saying that it doesn't, going on what other software sends.
Steve
adam5
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by adam5 »

Oh, I got ya. That would be an interesting test to see how WU would handle that. I'm guessing the other software uses the instantaneous parameter (and gust parameter of course), but not an instantaneous and 2 minute parameter together. I'd be willing to give it a try if you need a guinea pig.

There was one piece of software I tried called "WUHU" that actually gave users the option of choosing either instantaneous OR average wind data for WU uploads. The only difference in the data was that the software would compute and report average wind speeds to the nearest tenth (i.e. 4.3 mph) while instantaneous values were reported as integer values. WU did not differentiate between the two in it's presentation. But the software reported one or the other, never both at the same time.

Personally, I didn't care much for the non-integer average values that "WUHU" produced since you never see wind speeds reported like that by official weather stations. Not to mention that sometimes the software would "flake out" at least on my system. Cumulus has been the only software I've found that reliably reports an integer average wind speed/direction value to WU, AND weights the average wind direction based on the speeds (a vector average). Your method has eliminated a lot of unwanted variability and noise in my wind data that I get because I live in trees. Well...not actually live IN trees, my house is located in a big stand of maples.

-Brian
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

adam5 wrote:Oh, I got ya. That would be an interesting test to see how WU would handle that. I'm guessing the other software uses the instantaneous parameter (and gust parameter of course), but not an instantaneous and 2 minute parameter together. I'd be willing to give it a try if you need a guinea pig.
I've tried it with mine: http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstat ... =IORKNEYS2

My 1513z upload had 6mph for instantaneous speed and 7mph for average speed. I can't find the 7 anywhere, so it looks like they don't use it? Can you see it anywhere?
There was one piece of software I tried called "WUHU" that actually gave users the option of choosing either instantaneous OR average wind data for WU uploads.
I guess this is what I'm going to have to do, if I want to keep everyone happy :)
Cumulus has been the only software I've found that reliably reports an integer average wind speed/direction value to WU
To be honest, I don't know why I do that; I must have read somewhere that you're supposed to send integers. It's not mentioned on the upload protocol page in the wiki.
Steve
adam5

Post by adam5 »

My 1513z upload had 6mph for instantaneous speed and 7mph for average speed. I can't find the 7 anywhere, so it looks like they don't use it? Can you see it anywhere?
I don't see the 7 mph average speed anywhere...looks like it was ignored. Try sending JUST the average speed (using the 2min average parameter) and gust to see if it then shows up. (Wish it was 48F here today :( )
I guess this is what I'm going to have to do, if I want to keep everyone happy
But only if you want to and have the time to. You seem quite generous enough as it is putting this kind of effort into the software. (Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if you did :D )
To be honest, I don't know why I do that; I must have read somewhere that you're supposed to send integers.
I"m certainly glad you do for whatever the reason.

-Brian
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

adam5 wrote:Try sending JUST the average speed (using the 2min average parameter) and gust to see if it then shows up.
You get a "blank" with that. So clearly the 'instantaneous' and the 'gust' are the only two things it actually uses. I'll press on with the option to send the average...
Steve
adam5

Post by adam5 »

Interesting,

So whatever you send, whether an average or instantaneous, has be sent under the guise of the instantaneous parameter. Now we know.

-Brian
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

New build now available.
Steve
adam5

Post by adam5 »

Downloaded/installed 1.8.9 beta today. Thanks Steve for the WU average wind option! That rocks.

-Brian
Dave
Weather Station: Vantage Pro 2

Post by Dave »

Steve,

Thanks so much for the average wind selection option for the WU uploads! Like Brian I don't use the rapid fire mode, so an average wind is a much better representation of my current conditions. I was still using 1.8.7 because of the average wind capability, but now I'll upgrade to the new beta. :D

Like you and I talked about in another thread a few weeks back and like you and Brian discussed here, 2 minute wind would be an awesome feature when you get the time. Please note that I'm not at all pressing you for this, as I know you are very busy. I just wanted to cast a 'vote' for an added future feature for Cumulus if you need to prioritize your time when and if you get to it. ;)

Thanks for all you do for us. I love this program!

Dave
HurricaneTracker
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Mac OS Mavericks

Post by HurricaneTracker »

Steve,

I realize this is an old thread, but I haven't yet seen an option in Cumulus to provide a 2-min wind average. While the 10-min wind is the international standard, do you still have plans to incorporate a 2-min wind option (check box?) for those of us living in the United States? That way, our observations would more directly line up with existing ASOS stations that report a 2-min wind and 10-min gust.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Mike
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

You can make Cumulus calculate its average wind speed over any period by editing cumulus.ini (with Cumulus stopped) and adding a line to the [Station] section:

AvgSpeedMinutes=N

where N is the number of minutes you want it to use, e.g.

AvgSpeedMinutes=2

for a 2-minute average.
Steve
HurricaneTracker

steve wrote:You can make Cumulus calculate its average wind speed over any period by editing cumulus.ini (with Cumulus stopped) and adding a line to the [Station] section:

AvgSpeedMinutes=N

where N is the number of minutes you want it to use, e.g.

AvgSpeedMinutes=2

for a 2-minute average.
So, I need to have the "Calculate 10-min wind average" box unchecked?

And the "Use 'speed' for avg calculation" box checked?
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

HurricaneTracker wrote:So, I need to have the "Calculate 10-min wind average" box unchecked?
No, checked, to make Cumulus calculate the average in the first place. The ini-file setting modifies the 10-minute interval
No, unchecked, as otherwise it will calculate the average using the 10-minute average values from the station.

Basically, the settings stay the same as getting Cumulus to calculate a 10-minute average, you're just telling it to use a different interval for that calculation.
Steve
HurricaneTracker

steve wrote:
HurricaneTracker wrote:So, I need to have the "Calculate 10-min wind average" box unchecked?
No, checked, to make Cumulus calculate the average in the first place. The ini-file setting modifies the 10-minute interval
No, unchecked, as otherwise it will calculate the average using the 10-minute average values from the station.

Basically, the settings stay the same as getting Cumulus to calculate a 10-minute average, you're just telling it to use a different interval for that calculation.
Got it now, thanks a bunch. This is really awesome.

So, last question - when my computer reboots, is there way to get Cumulus to start automatically if I'm not at the computer? Right now I have to start it manually (Start-->Programs --> Cumulus)

Cheers,

Mike
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

So, last question - when my computer reboots, is there way to get Cumulus to start automatically if I'm not at the computer? Right now I have to start it manually (Start-->Programs --> Cumulus)
Have a look at http://www.softwx.com/windows/startwatch.html

Paul
VP2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https:// komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm